collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: What do you use magic for?  (Read 6885 times)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
What do you use magic for?
« on: October 05, 2014, 12:24:01 pm »
Comment in another thread made me think this might be an interesting topic.

For those of you who use magic as part of your practice, what kinds of things do you do with it? Have those things changed over time?

(My comments in a reply in a moment.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
Re: What do you use magic for?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 12:31:56 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;161259

For those of you who use magic as part of your practice, what kinds of things do you do with it? Have those things changed over time?

A lot of my regular magical practice is just daily self-care sorts of things - centering, grounding, shielding/filtering, cleansing. Most of which I've been doing for better than 15 years now in one form or another, and is about as routine as brushing my hair.

I periodically do larger or longer-term workings: I have one running in a low-key way to help me find the right next job (my basic setup for that is 'right job, right people, right place, right details', where 'details' covers things like reasonable salary/benefits).

Other workings have been about things like bringing people who can be good friends into my life (obviously matched with doing things that mean I'm likely to meet different people on the practical side), or helping me sort out past issues that I think are getting in the way of me living the life I want to live.  

I've done occasional justice workings in the past, generally of the 'illuminate the truth in this matter' - they have been remarkably effective when I've done them, to a degree that means I don't do them unless I'm really sure I want to know the answer. Also some varieties of defensive magical work when particular situations come up to make sure my home is a peaceful and secure place.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 12:38:10 pm »

Magic is the solution problems that I would not have had if it weren't for magic. :p

So... feeling other people's vibes at me? Shield or banish.

Neurological embuggerance leaking into emotional and spiritual spheres creating a triple-tiered cycle of injury/illness? Psychic surgery and nourishment takes care of one third of that.

Lately it's been getting less heuristic and more systemic, like if I do money spells then I wonder how that can work because there would then be some sort of interface between the physical and magical, which gets me wondering about luck, which gets me wondering how that would even work on some grand systemic level. And then questions about purpose, whether it's something on a magical level that set the scene for it, or whatever there's something on the magical level that can supplement what's actionable in the purpose that I chose to have.

Nowadays I consider it more like exploration philosophy personal development stuff. So, going through the motions of a curse at someone is just the way I "get over" something.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 12:39:49 pm by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 01:38:49 pm »

The two main purposes for me, I think, are a) giving a focus and boost to things I'd do normally and mundanely--protection, cleansing, prosperity, clarity; and b) getting stuff done where there's nothing more concrete that I could actually do mundanely, for whatever reason.

I've noticed I tend to use magic in part as a way of relieving my feelings: I'm a fretter, and will obsess and second-guess and drive myself into a tizzy of anxiety over things that I realistically have very little control over. Magic is a way for me to underline and put a period (or exclamation point) on a situation: "I have Done Something. Now, in order for the magic to work I have to on some level Let it Go (cue music)."

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 03:48:46 am »

I must confess that I haven't done much more 'magic' lately, than light a candle and focus on my goal for a time to focus my energy and my intent. Sharpening my Will, as it were. But I do believe in, and in the past have performed more elaborate magical workings.

I find that as I get older, and more secure in my beliefs, that my magical workings have become more introverted, focussed on things about myself, as opposed to extroverted, directed at making changes to the world I interact with.

The results, I find, are just as dramatic, if not more so. Example, I just got a promotion at work. I did do a magical working to assist in getting it, but ten years ago I would have done some elaborate 'success at work spell' that focussed on getting my work and skills noticed. This time I instead asked for assistance in improving those skills, and my confidence in my work, then let that work get the attention it deserved on it's own merits. The difference may merely be one of perspective, but it is significant.

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 11:07:15 pm »
Quote from: catja6;161276
I've noticed I tend to use magic in part as a way of relieving my feelings: I'm a fretter, and will obsess and second-guess and drive myself into a tizzy of anxiety over things that I realistically have very little control over.

Yes, I do this also. When I notice I'm worrying obsessively about something, I figure, "hey, I clearly want to devote more energy to this, maybe let's find a productive channel." Which is often a mundane thing but can be magical work as well.

I can always use more work on the "noticing" part, though.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Olie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 09:10:08 pm »

"if you can do it without magic then do it that way" is a rule i dont follow with all of my might. i use magic for pretty much whatever i can. just cuz i really like it. it doesn't always work acourse but i use it to get places on time, to find stuff i lost, to get to sleep or wake up, healing, protection, to get jobs, to be better at things, yadda yadda blah blah i use it for anything pretty much

Elementalist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 12:08:17 am »

Focus, meaning in life. I struggle to find a reason for my existence outside of this. I use it when I have tried mundane options with issues and now seek to resolve them on an energetic level. Or if I have a purpose and cannot presently engage in it in a physical fashion (owing to distance or resources) then I will engage with it energetically first.

No. It hasn't changed over time. My focus will always be like that. I don't see it as a way of life so much as a way to engage with life. I don't see that ever changing.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 04:07:48 am »

A lot of what's already been said, though I do less and less magic and need to get back into it.  I guess a lot of what I do mostly isn't so much magic as praying.  When it comes to doing things under my own steam, I've certainly done bigger or more focused workings when there's a major occasion for it, but when I think about what I use magic for on a more regular, daily basis, it's little things, mostly practical:

I tend to put blessings in food that I prepare to share with others.

I use protective magic on my commute--I walk alone at night a lot, so I use little charms to cloak myself off from the notice of anyone else who might be out there or move through the dark quietly and less-visibly.  Owl tricks, bat tricks.  I use little workings to heighten my senses for similar safety reasons.  

I stretch minutes here and there when I'm running late, or, when running late and using a car (less and less these days now that I don't own one) nudge the world to get a parking space.

I do pain management or add a little oomph to wound healing.  I do it more for other people, small-scale healing stuff, since I've been rusty on the major-scale healing work while recuperating from burning it out on someone.  Little things: taking away headaches, healing up nicked fingers.

Sometimes I reach out to get someone's attention through a crowd, stuff like that.

I do ward work anywhere I'm likely to stay a while or sleep, again, usually pretty small-scale.

When I have a major performance or religious event or piece of service, I do a ritual to consecrate myself to better purposes than my own and get my body and faculties lit up and in alignment, that sort of thing.

I used to do a lot more, and more elaborate, magic--particularly when I took work as a healer and exorcist--but it's been a while since I've trusted myself to do it responsibly.  This is an interesting question!
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Wind

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 01:31:04 am »

Alot and changing all the time. Mostly, protection, health, good energy, etc. That I routinely do to myself and others. I also send energy for traits - quick thinking, strenght, etc.

After my very beloved cat died I started sending her all kinds of energy. See as a Buddhist, I understand she was reborn and I want to send her protection, health, love etc. in her new life. So that's a new thing for me I never thought I would be doing but do as part of my daily ritual now. Maybe I just can't let go.

WizardryWisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 12:15:17 am »

Interesting question. I don't do much magic these days because I feel that I am still on a path to which if I interfere with my own wants and desires with magic I may lengthen the journey. I did a very powerful time/space warp manipulation to see into the future and learn from my future self, in a simular way that a large capacitor charges, and got a very powerful and HUGE download of information instantly and I immediately disconnected because I knew I would be alone in my perception, knowledge and beliefs from that point on, so now I enjoy the slower pace that my path allows. Ignorance is bliss has a whole  new meaning to me these days.

I used to do magic all day long about everything and became very powerful. If you can imagine a reason to use magic, I probably did it. However I found that the more you use magic, the more likely you are to put obstacles in your own way along your path. I would suggest innerself work and PRAOK (Passive Random Acts of Kindness).

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 05:35:00 am »
Quote from: WizardryWisdom;165661
I used to do magic all day long about everything and became very powerful. If you can imagine a reason to use magic, I probably did it. However I found that the more you use magic, the more likely you are to put obstacles in your own way along your path. I would suggest innerself work and PRAOK (Passive Random Acts of Kindness).

That's interesting. Can I ask what mechanism you think caused this? It doesn't match my experience at all so I'm wondering what the difference might be.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 07:42:58 am »

Funny thing. I read the question and thought "I don't"... and then reconsidered. I don't do formal magic, but I do small acts of heka, mostly to strengthen my own mental processes when needed. For example, earlier in the pregnancy, when I wasn't getting regular reassurance that baby was doing quite well in the form of a kick in the ribs, I'd make a point of wearing a t-shirt I have with the text 'Baby Disco' as a confirmation that my belly was, in fact, a baby disco. I started working on the nursery early as confirmation that we will need this, this is happening. I do a lot of these kinds of small acts of real life world building for anything important to me.

--Chabas

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 01:01:57 pm »

Oh man. Lots. (Specific, I know.) I've used magic to try and sway the world in the usual ways, I think: jobs, housing, health, love. That latter one always turned out a hideous mess so I think I've finally learned to leave it the fuck alone - it's not something I have a talent for, apparently.

I think that the way I do magic has definitely changed over the years. When I was younger I did a lot of magic purely to experiment with it - while there were definitely genuine needs being worked toward at different times, a lot of it was also "let's see if this works."

That's not to say I don't try new things now, but I've definitely become a lot more... casual? Yeah, I think I do casual magic. It's a hundred little things that are now so routine that I barely notice that it's a weird thing to do. I made a candle for a writing project - I light it to help me focus. I put powders on handbills for shows I produce, or sigils in the graphics. Cleansing work is as regular as physical housework. All the usual sort of things, but done without a lot of fanfare anymore.

I feel I do more work now to change myself than I did years ago, although obviously I haven't stopped attempting to influence the outside world.

WizardryWisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 01:12:14 am »
Quote from: Jack;165667
That's interesting. Can I ask what mechanism you think caused this? It doesn't match my experience at all so I'm wondering what the difference might be.

Sure, I can try to explain. I think what your asking about is how using magic puts obstacles in your path, correct?

For instance, lets create a hypothetical "path" that your supposed to be following because it would make you the happiest with the perfect job for you, perfect spouse and a set of experiences that you are supposed to have so you can learn from them so you don't make those particular mistakes in the future.

Now, your path is laid out in such a way for everything to fall in place in the most efficient way possible but because you don't don't know the plsn and can't see the big picture, you live off the cuff and take matters in your own hands with magic.

You learn about a job opening at a place that offers great benifits and good pay so you do a spell to help you get that job. You get the job and meet a person who you would like to try to be in a relationdhip with and do a spell to help that. Then you think the boss doesn't appreciate you so you do a spell to have him/her appreciate you more. The list goes on and on.

In hindsight you realize that there was another job opening in a field that you had always had a great interest in at the same time you were getting the other one and you just hsppened to know a person that was going to get you in there. Then you pass a person on the street that you have an insane connection with but your now in a relationship with someone else that you just don't have that perfect bond with.  It turns out thst the person you felt that connection with on the street is a sister of a person at the other job you missed out on and would have recognized you two would be a perfect match and set you two up. Now its so complicated to get things turned back to where you should have been that you it will take a year for you and your partner to seperate and two years before you try to find another job or get fired. Then you have to allow events to unfold sll over again to lead you back to where you need to be at that it could take years before things could sll come together... and that's WITHOUT you doing spells for this and that messing up the most efficient path to your happiness any more.

Every little event that either seems positive or negitive could be a learning experience so you are the person you need to be at the time you need to be that person so things align correctly. For instance, if you need to learn that there is a character flaw about yourself thst you don't realize other people perceive about you that you don't notice and you do a spell to make people at a job or sonewhere like you more, you could affect a situation where a person would have brought it to your attention so that you could learn from it and better yourself. Now you still have a certain flaw that people perceive about you outside of that circle and the person you are supposed to be with is turned off by this one thing you do. So now you have to wait to meet this person until you learn this flaw or else the erdon your meant to be with won't even give you the time of day at the event previously planned.

Those are just a few instances. Every little event and lesson provides you withthe things you need whether you can see them or not.

I have witnessed opportunities come full circle only realizing in hindsight yhat it would have been much easier had I not interfered.  That's not to say that uou aren't supposed touse magic, just that it seems that it may have put obstacles in my way. Who knows, maybe that wad part of the plan all along so that in the future I won't interfere when I'm not supposed to? :)

I hope that cleared things up.

Tags: