Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Questions on candle magick.  (Read 3820 times)

agustin

• View Profile
Questions on candle magick.
« on: October 01, 2014, 12:11:32 am »
So I'm aware of the basic formula of candle spells, putting your intention into the candle, maybe even writing it onto it and then burning it all the way through. But I'm curious if there is a different way to use candles? One where I can use the candle multiple times instead of burning it all the way. Plus I don't like worrying about it when it's burning, I don't want something to go wrong (house set aflame).

Before considering the regular steps for candle spells, I used to deeply visualize what I wanted, then I'd light the candle and visualize the light from it shining on my intent and giving it power. I'd take a minute or two to concentrate on the flame of the candle, while visualizing what I want to happen. And once I felt it was right, I'd put out the candle and let it stay in place until I want to light it again to shine more power or use it for another spell. I clear the candle of my past intent if I decide to use it for another. Is this formula fine?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:19:43 am by agustin »

NightQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on candle magick.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 12:34:38 am »
Quote from: agustin;160783
So I'm aware of the basic formula of candle spells, putting your intention into the candle, maybe even writing it onto it and then burning it all the way through. But I'm curious if there is a different way to use candles? One where I can use the candle multiple times instead of burning it all the way. Plus I don't like worrying about it when it's burning, I don't want something to go wrong (house set aflame).

Before considering the regular steps for candle spells, I used to deeply visualize what I wanted, then I'd light the candle and visualize the light from it shining on my intent and giving it power. I'd take a minute or two to concentrate on the flame of the candle, while visualizing what I want to happen. And once I felt it was right, I'd put out the candle and let it stay in place until I want to light it again to shine more power or use it for another spell. I clear the candle of my past intent if I decide to use it for another. Is this formula fine?

I don't uses candles for more then one spell. That just seems like invitation to muddle energies and wind up with your spell not working out right. I have put candles out before they burned down.  I usually keep the remaining part until the spell manifests and then bury it.

If your worried about how long it will take for a candle to burn, use smaller candles. I use mini chime candles most of the time, but I've even used birthday candles in a pinch.  Actually birthday candles work quite well. They're cheap burn quickly and come in tons of colors.

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 12:38:19 am »

I don't use candles for more than one spell either. I tried that for a while, and it never went well for me. That said, I do stretch one candle spell over several days, so I don't have to baby sit the candle for as long at a time. I can also work numbers into the spell that way
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

agustin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 12:49:13 am »
Quote from: random417;160787
I don't use candles for more than one spell either. I tried that for a while, and it never went well for me. That said, I do stretch one candle spell over several days, so I don't have to baby sit the candle for as long at a time. I can also work numbers into the spell that way

Ooo, that is a good idea. I feel like it would put more strength toward the spell since you could repeat your visualization each time you relit it. I guess I'll except the fact that it's better to burn the candle all the way through.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 09:59:49 am »

I don't use the same candle for more than one spell, but I do periodically do spells where I use a candle multiple times for the same basic spell. (So, I might use the same candle for successive prosperity spells, where I might change some details, but I'm mostly looking for the same things, but I wouldn't use the candle for say, health work.)

A couple of options:

1) Use a very small candle (like a birthday candle or something a little larger: Etsy and similar handmade resources often have some that will burn in an hour or so, or candles made from beeswax sheets rolled around a wick burn quite quickly and you can cut them to a suitable size.)

2) Inscribe and annoint your candle, stick a pin in a suitable distance down from the top of the candle (close to the top for a quicker burn, further down for a longer one.) Focus on burning the candle and your goal until the candle melts enough the pin falls out, which releases the magical effect.

3) For ongoing magic, I do an equivalent: I mark the candle at points (say, 7 if I'm doing this for a week, or 8 if I'm doing a year long working at each Sabbat) and I burn down to the next point each time. I find it's a bit more precise for me than 'burn a bit every day' because it gets me to be more balanced about the amount I'm burning.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Shadow

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 10:11:49 am »

I don't use the same candle for more than one spell and, if I have to leave it burning, I put it in the bath tub. If it falls over there is nothing to catch and it tends to just go out.

Having said that, if what you were doing before worked for you then I would say it is fine. Do what works and personally I don't think you can go far wrong.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:12:13 am by Shadow »

Stripperwitch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 03:30:41 am »

Honestly I think your intent is the most important thing, and also your belief that it will work.

I just do curses with my candles but I generally just light them, say or think whatever I want the outcome to be, and blow them out. I've used the same big candle for the past three times I've done a curse and they all worked to some degree. (A lot of this also depends on your ability to believe it will work? From my experience if I doubt a spell I've already set myself up for failure but if I just go with it they usually work.)
If I'm feeling extra salty I'll make a paper doll and burn it? But really if you're in a mood it'll probably work the same without props, they just help focus your energy

I love those stand up candles with shit carved in them that they sell at magic shops but honestly I get the same results with my bath & body works candles lol and they smell better & I can reuse them sooooo yep

Yellow Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 01:16:41 am »
Quote from: Stripperwitch;167527
Honestly I think your intent is the most important thing, and also your belief that it will work.

I just do curses with my candles but I generally just light them, say or think whatever I want the outcome to be, and blow them out. I've used the same big candle for the past three times I've done a curse and they all worked to some degree. (A lot of this also depends on your ability to believe it will work? From my experience if I doubt a spell I've already set myself up for failure but if I just go with it they usually work.)
If I'm feeling extra salty I'll make a paper doll and burn it? But really if you're in a mood it'll probably work the same without props, they just help focus your energy

I love those stand up candles with shit carved in them that they sell at magic shops but honestly I get the same results with my bath & body works candles lol and they smell better & I can reuse them sooooo yep

For shorter spells birthday candles are awesome for longer spells 7 day candles in glass jars are great. Can't really go wrong.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 07:44:05 am »
Quote from: Yellow Owl;173431
For shorter spells birthday candles are awesome...

I've never used birthday candles because I've never found any easy and reliable way to stand them up without using a cake.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 08:20:39 am »
Quote from: RandallS;173440
I've never used birthday candles because I've never found any easy and reliable way to stand them up without using a cake.

Egg cup full of sand. If you don't want to crap up your sand too much, use the plastic cake-stabbing candle holder that comes with the pack.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 03:28:05 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;173442
Egg cup full of sand. If you don't want to crap up your sand too much, use the plastic cake-stabbing candle holder that comes with the pack.

You can also put a little melted wax (from the same candle or from a different one) on a small piece of aluminum foil or a plate or something, and stick the bottom of the candle in the wax.  As it cools, it will harden and hold the candle up.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 05:36:47 am »
Quote from: Yellow Owl;173431
For shorter spells birthday candles are awesome for longer spells 7 day candles in glass jars are great. Can't really go wrong.

Does anyone know an online shop in Europe that sell the 7 day jar candles such as sold in the USA/latin botanica spiritual shops? :)
( I asked at http://www.AzureGreen.net/ but shipping from USA is very expensive due to the weight)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 07:44:42 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;173466
Does anyone know an online shop in Europe that sell the 7 day jar candles such as sold in the USA/latin botanica spiritual shops?

They look fairly easy to make.  Here's a couple of instruction sets I found googling "making seven day candle":

http://www.instructables.com/id/-7-DAYS-PRAYER-CANDLE-from-beer-bottle-/
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 09:02:03 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;173466
Does anyone know an online shop in Europe that sell the 7 day jar candles such as sold in the USA/latin botanica spiritual shops? :)
( I asked at http://www.AzureGreen.net/ but shipping from USA is very expensive due to the weight)

In the UK at least, you can usually get them in catholic bookshops
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 03:11:56 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;173472
In the UK at least, you can usually get them in catholic bookshops
Also you'll find plain ones in Jewish supply shops, sold as memorial candles.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Tags: