Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: What kind of magic is this?  (Read 2908 times)

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
What kind of magic is this?
« on: September 30, 2014, 05:48:01 pm »
Part of what I've been experimenting with this year is taking more detailed and consistent notes regarding the types of magic that I do along with the results.  I learned magic from a 'low magic' foundation and that's typically what I go for in spell casting.  Candle magic, herb magic, and work with magical oils makes up the bulk of my repetoire.  I've noticed though, that with this sort of magic, my results are very hit and miss.  I've been working with simply focusing my mind on my goal (not over an extended period of time though, as with meditation workings and affirmation) and I'm finding that I have a far better success rate with this form over the use of magical accoutrements.

An example might help clarify what I mean.  I needed money in a bad way a couple of weeks ago to cover some school related expenses.  I didn't go to my altar, pray, or do any of my typical magical go-to's- I just closed my eyes for a few minutes and focused on having the ability to take of the things that needed taken care of and by the end of the day my shop had made a few sales, I was repaid money that I had given up on, and I got a notice for a large disbursement to be issued from my student loans.  I've done several other "workings" similar to this and have achieved similar results, not always, mind, but a much higher success rate than my more traditional magical means.

So I suppose my first question is, what is this kind of magic called?  Mental magic?  Manifestation magic?  I have no clue.

Secondly, I'm a fan of whatever works.  I like the look of candles and herbs strewn across an altar for a working, but since this is working better I'd like to sharpen my skills at it more.  Does anyone else work like this or have any resources for it?

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of magic is this?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 06:05:14 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;160754
Part of what I've been experimenting with this year is taking more detailed and consistent notes regarding the types of magic that I do along with the results.  

I've been working with simply focusing my mind on my goal (not over an extended period of time though, as with meditation workings and affirmation) and I'm finding that I have a far better success rate with this form over the use of magical accoutrements.

So I suppose my first question is, what is this kind of magic called?  Mental magic?  Manifestation magic?  I have no clue.

Secondly, I'm a fan of whatever works.  I like the look of candles and herbs strewn across an altar for a working, but since this is working better I'd like to sharpen my skills at it more.  Does anyone else work like this or have any resources for it?

It sounds to me like a wish without the ritual. Or, basic affirmation, just shorter than meditative affirmation?

Dare I say Law of Attraction? (Although that modern tradition tends to come with a philosophy of unfortunate implications and lousy attitudes :whis: the very, very, very bare bones basics of it sound similar)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:05:46 pm by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 09:21:17 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;160755
It sounds to me like a wish without the ritual. Or, basic affirmation, just shorter than meditative affirmation?

Dare I say Law of Attraction? (Although that modern tradition tends to come with a philosophy of unfortunate implications and lousy attitudes :whis: the very, very, very bare bones basics of it sound similar)

I kinda thought some sort of wish magic too, but that doesn't really feel right.  That may be my own associations of wishes with sort of pipe dreams though.  I also thought Law of Attraction and The Secret type stuff too, but I'm not familiar with either at all.  Even then though, from my very limited understanding of them, that doesn't really seem to fit either.  Don't folks focus on drawing something into their life frequently or for an extended period of time for that?  With what I'm doing it's just a once and done, and even then only for a couple of minutes.

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:07:19 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;160771
I kinda thought some sort of wish magic too, but that doesn't really feel right.  That may be my own associations of wishes with sort of pipe dreams though.  I also thought Law of Attraction and The Secret type stuff too, but I'm not familiar with either at all.  Even then though, from my very limited understanding of them, that doesn't really seem to fit either.  Don't folks focus on drawing something into their life frequently or for an extended period of time for that?  With what I'm doing it's just a once and done, and even then only for a couple of minutes.

I'd say wish magic too. Or if your beliefs allow it, you have the ear of a god. What happened didn't have to happen, but you wanted it to and then it did. The possiblities were there (you had a shop, money owed and loan money access), so the wish gathered those up and pulled them in, sort of calling them to you. I'm adding the concept of extra help due to the speed. But I'd say that's some powerful wish magic going on.

I'm not too well versed in the Law of Attraction but I have found that it really depends on what you are asking for when it comes to using spells to manifest desires. Big requests take a great deal of energy, constant work and a lot of willpower. Small requests take a few minutes and the possiblities of success being close at hand. Me, personally, I can make almost anything I want, that does not include bending the free will of an individual (say as it would in a love spell), happen if I have enough time, energy and will power. The flip side is that sometimes I get myself into situations I most definitely didn't have to be in if I'd bothered to check where my energy was going.
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 10:19:42 pm »

It sound like a very direct form of what's often called "affirmation magic". Manifestation magic might be a slightly better term for what you are doing, however.

The classic book on affirmation magic is probably Marion Weinstein's Positive Magic -- however, this book is about a much more "indirect" form of it that what you seem to be doing.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Siren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:55:07 am »
Part of what I've been experimenting with this year is taking more detailed and consistent notes regarding the types of magic that I do along with the results.  I learned magic from a 'low magic' foundation and that's typically what I go for in spell casting.  Candle magic, herb magic, and work with magical oils makes up the bulk of my repetoire.  I've noticed though, that with this sort of magic, my results are very hit and miss.  I've been working with simply focusing my mind on my goal (not over an extended period of time though, as with meditation workings and affirmation) and I'm finding that I have a far better success rate with this form over the use of magical accoutrements.

An example might help clarify what I mean.  I needed money in a bad way a couple of weeks ago to cover some school related expenses.  I didn't go to my altar, pray, or do any of my typical magical go-to's- I just closed my eyes for a few minutes and focused on having the ability to take of the things that needed taken care of and by the end of the day my shop had made a few sales, I was repaid money that I had given up on, and I got a notice for a large disbursement to be issued from my student loans.  I've done several other "workings" similar to this and have achieved similar results, not always, mind, but a much higher success rate than my more traditional magical means.

I've experienced the same thing. To me, it doesn't feel so much like a wish, but more like I'm backstage pulling the wires that make things go. Like...when I do magic with all the bells and whistles and props, I'm in large part trying to focus and get into sort of a liminal space where I can affect things, and once in a while I can get there without actually doing anything outwardly. I could probably get better at it if I did more magic, but it's a minor focus for me at best, so it gets rusty. :o

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 05:40:59 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;160773
I'd say wish magic too. Or if your beliefs allow it, you have the ear of a god. What happened didn't have to happen, but you wanted it to and then it did. The possiblities were there (you had a shop, money owed and loan money access), so the wish gathered those up and pulled them in, sort of calling them to you. I'm adding the concept of extra help due to the speed. But I'd say that's some powerful wish magic going on.

I'm not too well versed in the Law of Attraction but I have found that it really depends on what you are asking for when it comes to using spells to manifest desires. Big requests take a great deal of energy, constant work and a lot of willpower. Small requests take a few minutes and the possiblities of success being close at hand. Me, personally, I can make almost anything I want, that does not include bending the free will of an individual (say as it would in a love spell), happen if I have enough time, energy and will power. The flip side is that sometimes I get myself into situations I most definitely didn't have to be in if I'd bothered to check where my energy was going.

The wishing name does make sense, like I said to Faemon, I think my own apprehension with wishes as something like a daydream or something that is never going to happen just really puts me off from labelling it that (which is my own problem, admittedly).  I do work with gods, so I guess that is a possibility.  Even when I pray though and ask for some help with something, I put more effort into it than I do with this magic, so I'm not sure.  It does give me some things to consider though.

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 05:44:33 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;160776
It sound like a very direct form of what's often called "affirmation magic". Manifestation magic might be a slightly better term for what you are doing, however.

The classic book on affirmation magic is probably Marion Weinstein's Positive Magic -- however, this book is about a much more "indirect" form of it that what you seem to be doing.

If I were to pick a type of magic that it's most like, that I am familiar with, I'd agree and say affirmation.  I threw the manifesting as a possibility because for some reason manifestation doesn't seem to carry the same energy level requirement that affirmation would denote.  When I do affirmations, the steady buildup of energy over a period is what usually brings things around.  This doesn't require that.  I'll check that book out.  You recommended a different one of her's to me once and I enjoyed it, so even if it's indirect I still might learn something.

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 05:50:54 pm »
Quote from: Siren;160806
I've experienced the same thing. To me, it doesn't feel so much like a wish, but more like I'm backstage pulling the wires that make things go. Like...when I do magic with all the bells and whistles and props, I'm in large part trying to focus and get into sort of a liminal space where I can affect things, and once in a while I can get there without actually doing anything outwardly. I could probably get better at it if I did more magic, but it's a minor focus for me at best, so it gets rusty. :o

That's a much better summation than I've been able to put together!  That's exactly it, I'm getting better results with less focus and less energy output which seems really odd.  I like the 'backstage pulling the strings' bit you describe here.  That is sort of what it feels like.  The best example I can think of would be like tinkering slightly with the webs of fate (or Wyrd?) to get what I need.  Even then though, that's not exactly right I don't think, but it's the best I can come up with.

Siren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 07:13:40 pm »
Quote from: Breeze;160934
That's a much better summation than I've been able to put together!  That's exactly it, I'm getting better results with less focus and less energy output which seems really odd.  I like the 'backstage pulling the strings' bit you describe here.  That is sort of what it feels like.  The best example I can think of would be like tinkering slightly with the webs of fate (or Wyrd?) to get what I need.  Even then though, that's not exactly right I don't think, but it's the best I can come up with.

Tinkering with webs is exactly what it feels like. Nudging probability, is another way I think of it.

Elementalist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 07:35:13 am »

To me, I see no difference to using the mind to move energy or ritual to do so. If you find you have better results with mind over matter than I'd go with that instead. One possible suggestion is that your focus on herbs, oils and accoutrements is actually diluting rather than concentrating your focus. Whereas with meditation only there is nothing to distract you.

Perhaps you could simplify your workings so that your mind is more fully focused on your intent, or switch to a more intuitive style of working. I'm an intuitive worker in that I do not have an altar and lots of accoutrements. A typical working for me might involve a walk in the park and collecting some seed pods or similar and using them in a simple working such as chanting something and throwing the seed pods over my shoulder or blowing a dandelion head into the wind etc.

Lokison

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 12:44:25 pm »

Chaos Magic.  

Sure.  http://www.chaosmatrix.org, but be aware that there are two branches.  Analytical and Instinctual.  The site doesnt identify them as such, but basically if it sounds like you are reading a tech manual or a thesis, its Analytical Chaos.  

Tokens/foci/etc are just tools.  I personally internalize and visualize what I need for the moment.  Think Green Lanternish.  Someone needs protection?  visualizing walls around them, or a fence/hedge of thorns to project my magic into.  Someone needs a lesson taught?  Engulf them in flames, take a whip to their defenses, 'slash' them with a sword.
My beliefs are my own.  I do not speak for anyone else.  It is my personal perspective.  
I am not the Way or the Truth.  No Man or Woman can reach their God/dess through me.

When people ask me, "What give you the right to suggest standards for others?",
my answer is, "If I don\'t, someone else, perhaps less qualified, will."
History has proven that qualification is based on acceptance. The end justifies the means. - LaVey

Olie

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 12:13:20 pm »

i never knew the name for this cuz i do it sometimes too so i always called it field magic. like in the field of action without any prep or tools or whatnot. but wish and manifestation all sounds good too. sometimes it works for me cuz theres too many rules and stuff in rituals so it gets stressful

moongate

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 04:37:41 pm »

I always called it "using visualization techniques to obtain what I need". I attribute it to magic because I am using my will to manifest my desire. I've never really seen it in books, so I don't know the formal name for it either. :D:

Tags: