collapse

Author Topic: Did Jesus actually exist?  (Read 10265 times)

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Did Jesus actually exist?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 10:41:26 am »
Quote from: jess-foxx-quinn;160789
Maybe. there may have been. But he is just one prophet in a sea of thousands in the ancient world. No different from Buddha, Mohammad, Apollodorus of Rhodes, Moses, and all the others. Mortal at one time and revered by their followers. Deified at death, like so many others. As for the missing sacred codexs of Jesus' teaching, I do not doubt. The Church did a wonderful editing job as to what the bible would have and would not have in it. My personal belief is the IF there was a Jesus, his teachings were simple and few: Love, honor, respect and do good to all. I personally believe much of the filler was put in centuries later to pretty much scare people into believing the Christian  faith. This is my take on it all. My belief on Jesus and his teachings.

I can see that but I guess the issue of asking about his existence is that to many Christians, he is a god or God and the only one. And some Christians will take the stories (supernatural ones) about him literately. Even my Episcopalian priest at my school's campus ministry  sees the bible as a history book and believes in the "Zombie Jesus". Being raised a Baptist, I was taught to take everything in the bible literately, and that was hard when I was learning about evolution in school, human history that began prior to the BCE and learning that the bible contradicted itself. I vaguely remember asking my history teacher in the 8th grade (world history) if Adam and Eve were neanderthals or homonoids. He answered along the lines of maybe they were and that history books and bible kind of get confusing.

The reason why I mentioned the priest(ess) was that I've found Episcopalians are some of the most liberal Christians you'll meet. Most of them encourage lots of academic education (it's one of the denominations where you are required to have a college degree and seminary to "preach".) Baptists are more lenient on formal education, in my experience. Also the Episcopalians are not taught that they have to take the bible literately or that they have to discount evolution as fact. True I don't have a lot of experience in all the Christian denominations but my foray into an eccumenical (sp) church (Episcopalian and Presbyterian) and learning about a few others, that it seems like there's a lot of liberal, moderate, and then very conservative denominations in Christianity. Of course there's spectrums in all of them. There's conservative Episcopalians and Presbyterians and moderate to liberal minded Baptists but I find overall that depending on the leaning of the denomination the conservatives or liberals of each one are either the majority or minority of the group.

But anyway back to the topic, the issue with Jesus is that supposedly we've found his burial site but due to the myth that his body and spirit as a whole went up to heaven forever (eventually) cases problems. Supposedly archeologists have found Buddha's and Mohammed's remains at their burial sites but not Jesus'. I don't know about the other prophets you mentioned. Technically according to many Christians if you see Jesus more as a prophet than god (like I sort of do) you aren't really a Christian, you are more likely a Jew or Muslim. Technically speaking Jesus is a minor prophet in both religions.
PrincessKLS

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 11:15:26 am »
Quote from: HeartShadow;160820
... where's the proof that Jesus existed?  or Socrates?

Socrates comes down pretty much to Plato's writings.  Jesus has multiple writings, multiple viewpoints, all kinds of stuff.

Well... It's debatable how many texts there are that refer to him, outside of the gospels. Potentially none - although it does depend on how you view Josephus and whether you think he was tampered with post-Christianity. And then on whether you think the gospels can be considered relive testimony, especially in light of other writing in the Bible. But that's about all my expertise extends to. My point, though, is that this is really widely debated and certainly not a closed case.

Heck, as far as religion goes, if he DIDN'T actually exist that makes the /religion/ more plausible to me, because THAT would be a miracle!  That none of it happened, and yet people saw/believed/shared etc?  That would be pretty damn interesting, wouldn't it?

Yes! You have no idea how much this question consumes me. What the hell happened in that community?! It's sociologically and personally *fascinating*.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Elizabeth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 02:01:10 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;160831
Yes! You have no idea how much this question consumes me. What the hell happened in that community?! It's sociologically and personally *fascinating*.

I also find this particular facet of the discussion to be interesting.

I have heard the "why would people die for something that is untrue, so therefore Christianity is the true religion" argument, and I wholeheartedly disagree with the logic. However, if the New Testament attests to the willingness to believe and be martyred and Apostolic Fathers (that is, the followers of the Apostles) and the Early Church Fathers were wholehearted believers who would die a martyers death, there has to be something to the claims that Jesus was a real, historical figure.

We may not be able to use the New Testament as a reliable historical source, but many of the Apostolic and Early Church Fathers are considered reliable historical sources with many works attributed to them.

Of course, this in no way proves anything. But it is an interesting thing to ponder.
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 05:41:41 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;160698
Okay I do consider myself at least part Christian and I respect Jesus Christ but I've came across some sources on the net that have argued that he didn't actually exist and there's little historical evidence of it. I've also heard arguments out there that supposedly there's more sources other than the New Testament that prove he was a historical figure. One source I looked up even said, he was basically an inspiration based off of earlier gods such as Mithras.

So what is the truth?

The worship of Jesus (not to mention his Blessed Mother) did take on a lot of the symbolism and ritual of other deities worshiped in Mediterranean mystery cults, especially the ones worshiped in Rome, but I think this only happened after it became the official religion of the Empire, and the Roman Catholic Church was established. It absorbed the competition, which was a pretty smart thing to do.  I doubt early Christianity incorporated solar symbolism when it came to Jesus, or venerated Mary as the Queen of Heaven and Star of the Sea, but I'm not an expert.

Quote from: HeartShadow;160820
... where's the proof that Jesus existed?  or Socrates?

Socrates comes down pretty much to Plato's writings.  Jesus has multiple writings, multiple viewpoints, all kinds of stuff.

The difference is that Plato was Socrates' student and contemporary, and a historical figure himself, a much more reliable source than the authors of the Gospels. They were written in Greek despite Jesus coming from Aramaic-speaking Palestine, and decades after the fact by unknown authors. The narratives from the Gospels of Luke and Matthew derive from Mark, though each were also informed by other sources, as well as a common source called "Q" by scholars. These were hardly firsthand accounts, as they came from pre-existing oral and written traditions, so it's hard to determine how much historical fact is actually contained in them. Things get added and embellished over time.

Quote from: Siren;160701
I think of him in about the same way I think of King Arthur, historically speaking: there may well have been a guy, or multiple guys being conflated, who inspired the story, but it's picked up a lot of accretions from surrounding mythologies and from later writers spinning tall tales.

That's pretty much my view also.

hecate8

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 08:36:02 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;160698
Okay I do consider myself at least part Christian and I respect Jesus Christ but I've came across some sources on the net that have argued that he didn't actually exist and there's little historical evidence of it. I've also heard arguments out there that supposedly there's more sources other than the New Testament that prove he was a historical figure. One source I looked up even said, he was basically an inspiration based off of earlier gods such as Mithras.

So what is the truth?

I don't believe he did, but some would say I have a high standard for belief.
Free or drug free? America can\'t be both!

NightQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 08:38:40 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;160825

But anyway back to the topic, the issue with Jesus is that supposedly we've found his burial site but due to the myth that his body and spirit as a whole went up to heaven forever (eventually) cases problems. Supposedly archeologists have found Buddha's and Mohammed's remains at their burial sites but not Jesus'. I don't know about the other prophets you mentioned. Technically according to many Christians if you see Jesus more as a prophet than god (like I sort of do) you aren't really a Christian, you are more likely a Jew or Muslim. Technically speaking Jesus is a minor prophet in both religions.

I hadn't heard anything recently about supposedly finding Jesus's burial site, but if it's anything like the James ossuary thing, I have my doubts.  I have no idea what could conclusively point to it being Jesus of Nazareth's burial place.  Jesus (or Yeshua or Joshua) was not exactly an uncommon name.  Not to mention in all probability if Jesus was crucified the Romans would not have let his body be removed.  Crucifixion was used as a deterrent.  Bodies were typical left to rot.

Jews don't view Jesus as a prophet.  I don't believe he's seen in such in any mainstream Jewish movement.   I suppose there might be a couple individual Jews who do, but by in large Jews don't view Jesus any differently then any of the other Messiah claimants (there were a lot of them).

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 09:26:16 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;160831

Stories recounting Jesus' divinity were pretty late arrivals.  The earliest written accounts probably looked more like collections of aphorisms à la Thomas or "Q" than the synoptic gospels.  (Also, I have a good Priest buddy who swears that Thomas is "Q", and that both Origen and Clement knew of its existence.  fwiw)  
It's most likely that the tale(s) simply grew in the telling.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:27:17 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 03:07:18 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;160825
But anyway back to the topic, the issue with Jesus is that supposedly we've found his burial site but due to the myth that his body and spirit as a whole went up to heaven forever (eventually) cases problems.
Only some Christians believe this.

Supposedly archeologists have found Buddha's and Mohammed's remains at their burial sites but not Jesus'.
Why wouldn't they?  Buddhists don't teach that the Buddha had some kind of bodily resurrection or that his body should be missing or that he's a deity of some kind.  Muslims absolutely do not teach that Muhammad was in any way divine or anything but a mortal man granted the gift of prophecy, and have kept track of where his body is.

Technically according to many Christians if you see Jesus more as a prophet than god (like I sort of do) you aren't really a Christian, you are more likely a Jew or Muslim.
A lot of (minority) schools of Christian thought, like Unitarianism and Socinianism, teach this.  It's a valid, established Christian position.  The divinity of Jesus is not the only thing separating Christians from Jews or Muslims.

Technically speaking Jesus is a minor prophet in both religions.
Technically speaking, Jesus is either a very minor or entirely irrelevant prophet in Judaism, and Jesus is a major prophet in Islam, second only to Muhammad (because Muhammad came last and batted clean-up for the team) and considered the Messiah, to be seated at the right hand of God on the Day of Judgment.  So, no.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:08:47 pm by Valentine »
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 03:10:41 pm »
Quote from: jess-foxx-quinn;160789
Maybe. there may have been. But he is just one prophet in a sea of thousands in the ancient world. No different from Buddha, Mohammad, Apollodorus of Rhodes, Moses, and all the others. Mortal at one time and revered by their followers. Deified at death, like so many others.

Weeeeeeell I don't think anyone on that list except Jesus and arguably the Buddha were deified at death.  Jews and Muslims alike would be horrified at the notion that Moses or Muhammad was deified.  It's true there were a jillion prophets running around, though.
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 12:46:38 am »
Quote from: Valentine;160925
Weeeeeeell I don't think anyone on that list except Jesus and arguably the Buddha were deified at death.  Jews and Muslims alike would be horrified at the notion that Moses or Muhammad was deified.  It's true there were a jillion prophets running around, though.

The Shakyamuni wasn't deified at death. Theravadans hold that he entered Nirvana and is in no way a god. Mahayana practitioners such as myself hold that he was always an emanation of the cosmic Buddha. Mahayana, by the way, distinguishes between gods and Buddhas. I'd also like to point out that the Mahayana view, which is closer to the idea of deification, evolved a few centuries after the historical Buddha's lifetime.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 03:22:39 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;160959
The Shakyamuni wasn't deified at death. Theravadans hold that he entered Nirvana and is in no way a god. Mahayana practitioners such as myself hold that he was always an emanation of the cosmic Buddha. Mahayana, by the way, distinguishes between gods and Buddhas. I'd also like to point out that the Mahayana view, which is closer to the idea of deification, evolved a few centuries after the historical Buddha's lifetime.

Exactly!  Hence my "arguably."  You have to play really fast-and-loose with the definitions of "deity" to say he was deified.  Thank you for going into more explicit detail about it for everyone's benefit--I was in a rush earlier and knew I'd slip up if I started tossing claims out without fact-checking the specifics.  

People have some really funny ideas about Buddhism and what a Buddha is and what the role of deities is in Buddhist cosmology, largely, I think, projected from other religious systems.  (I hear a lot of claims about Buddhism having no deities in its cosmology, for instance, just because they don't look much like the God of Abraham or, I don't know, Zeus.)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 03:28:34 am »
Quote from: Valentine;160961
Exactly!  Hence my "arguably."  You have to play really fast-and-loose with the definitions of "deity" to say he was deified.  Thank you for going into more explicit detail about it for everyone's benefit--I was in a rush earlier and knew I'd slip up if I started tossing claims out without fact-checking the specifics.  

People have some really funny ideas about Buddhism and what a Buddha is and what the role of deities is in Buddhist cosmology, largely, I think, projected from other religious systems.  (I hear a lot of claims about Buddhism having no deities in its cosmology, for instance, just because they don't look much like the God of Abraham or, I don't know, Zeus.)
Except that those who want to argue about it are just wrong. :p Haha.

And yes, I get SO pissed off when people start projecting Western assumptions onto Buddhism. There are gods in Buddhism. Their role varies according to the tradition, but they exist.

Don't get me started on the "Buddhism is not a religion" folk. It's a f*cking RELIGION jackwad!!! We have temples and sacred texts and relics and a clergy. Just like AN ORGANIZED RELIGION DOES.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 11:20:10 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;160962
Don't get me started on the "Buddhism is not a religion" folk. It's a f*cking RELIGION jackwad!!! We have temples and sacred texts and relics and a clergy. Just like AN ORGANIZED RELIGION DOES.

What about Buddhists who don't consider it a religion or themselves religious? Do they not get a say in their own lives and practices?
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2014, 12:24:26 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;160962

(a. That is not a very Buddhist form of expression.
(b. It very much depends on the type of Buddhism being discussed, and the context in which it is being discussed; and is not, I think, a universal truth. Strong cases can be made for (specific forms of) Buddhism as more philosophy than religion, or as more religion than philosophy.

Also, I find the assertion made in this thread that it doesn't actually matter as much whether he actually existed to be... flawed, at best. Approaching from a Catholic standpoint over a more general one, it is obviously the position of the Church that Jesus was a real, historical person and that his life occurred as generally outlined in the New Testament. The Crucifixion is as historical an event as the Allied bombing of Dresden or what you had for breakfast last Tuesday; or at least as far as the Church (and to be fair, most non-Catholic sects and denominations as well) is concerned. But this is very important, IMO, in the scheme of Catholic/Christian theology.

First, the Mass. In one of my favourite talks by him, +Fulton Sheen described the action of the Mass as a singular event, throughout time, as the Sacrifice of Christ on the Cross. Wherever the Mass is celebrated be it in Boston, Rio, or Tokyo we are reaching through time and planting the Cross on the altar. If Christ never actually existed but was, say, merely a figure who evolved alongside a number of teachings to provide a basis -- however fictional -- for Christianity, than whose sacrifice would be celebrated at the altar? At the consecration, is it the body and blood of Christ or no? Whose is it? Am I just drinking some random Palestinian's blood? Is it just wine? Without Christ having actually existed, the theology and raison d'être of the Mass is undermined.

Then is raised the question of what the Crucifixion itself means in a theological context if Jesus is fictional. In his book Crossing the Threshold of Hope, which is an excellent book despite my issues with the author (and has an enlightening point of view concerning the 'negative soteriology' of Buddhism to boot!), John Paul II vividly explains the importance of the Paschal Mystery and the importance, specifically, of the deicidal act. Not of the deicide traditionally wrought by the Jews, but how Christ who is both fully human and fully divine sacrificed himself, of course, so that we may have eternal life. God killed himself for man etc. etc. While I personally don't think this would be entirely negated if it happened in a fictional context, it would certainly complicate the nature of Christ's Covenant with us; if there was no Christ on earth to begin with.

So, in summary, while for those observing Christianity in the historical/social sense of its development or the validity of Christian practice, belief, and worship in the modern day; to dismiss the question of Christ actually having existed as irrelevant or simply less important than the effects which the Christ figure has had on the world, is rather misguided. Many of the most important theological principles of the Christian religion are necessarily predicated upon his historical existence, which is why the people who try to prove or disprove his existence have such a vested interest in what they find or don't find.

Also, lovely post Valentine :lub:
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2014, 02:55:26 am »
Quote from: Morag;161122
What about Buddhists who don't consider it a religion or themselves religious? Do they not get a say in their own lives and practices?

There is a huge difference between "the Buddhism I practice is not a religion" and a hand-wavy "Buddhism is not a religion" by someone on the outside.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Tags: