Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Food: vegetarianism as a spectrum  (Read 5611 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: vegetarianism as a spectrum....
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 12:56:15 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;160394
Also the raw food movement is a whole category of their own because some raw foodists aren't vegan and see eating raw meats and dairies as healthy.

Well, yes, different things using different terminology are not identical with each other.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Earthworm

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 12:13:50 pm »
Quote from: carillion;160200
I'm not really sure what your question is. If people include or leave out certain foods for health reasons, that's just what it is- there is no label. The term 'vegetarian' simply means that for whatever reason, a person doesn't include meat in their diet.But if someone is vegan,that's usually for what they perceive as ethical reasons which is totally different and excluding being picky ( "well,  you swat flies,don't you? where is you reverance for 'life' there?) has no 'spectrum'.

Quote from: PrincessKLS;160394
Also in the vegan community, I know there's a lot of debate about the use of honey, some vegans are ok with it, while others are against it.

The honey thing PrincessKLS mentioned and other related issues are why I do think that veganism exists on a kind of spectrum. I'm a no-honey vegan, but I'll buy white sugar, because as I understand very little of it is processed with bone char these days, so the chances are good that my sugar is vegan. I buy it because it's significantly cheaper than other sugars, but if I ever have the luxury of the option, I would choose the 100% guaranteed vegan sugar like many people I would place farther along the vegan spectrum do regularly.

There are plenty of other things, like whether or not one will buy secondhand animal products, or how diligent one is about being sure their makeup/toothpaste/deodorant/shampoo/cigarettes/etc. weren't tested on animals that I think represent different degrees on the spectrum.

That's why one finds this kind of thing here and there: http://ispywithmyblueeye.blogspot.com/2008/06/seven-levels-of-veganism.html (this list escalates rather quickly).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:14:28 pm by Earthworm »
"A driving thirst for knowledge is the forerunner of wisdom." -Robert Cochrane

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 12:24:15 pm »
Quote from: sailor;160291
I suspect that eating meat all the time is relatively new (past 150 years) in North America.  yeah, that's a big chunk of the time post European arrival, but similar to QE1 as you pointed out, it's economics rather than culture.
That would really depend on where you are, and how the meat was being preserved. Trap lines and traditional hunting lands were drastically reduced, but there were and are people here who eat meat as a dietary staple. A minority but still.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 03:38:29 pm »
Quote from: Earthworm;160655
The honey thing PrincessKLS mentioned and other related issues are why I do think that veganism exists on a kind of spectrum. I'm a no-honey vegan, but I'll buy white sugar, because as I understand very little of it is processed with bone char these days, so the chances are good that my sugar is vegan. I buy it because it's significantly cheaper than other sugars, but if I ever have the luxury of the option, I would choose the 100% guaranteed vegan sugar like many people I would place farther along the vegan spectrum do regularly.

There are plenty of other things, like whether or not one will buy secondhand animal products, or how diligent one is about being sure their makeup/toothpaste/deodorant/shampoo/cigarettes/etc. weren't tested on animals that I think represent different degrees on the spectrum.

That's why one finds this kind of thing here and there: http://ispywithmyblueeye.blogspot.com/2008/06/seven-levels-of-veganism.html (this list escalates rather quickly).

That was interesting but even vegetarianism is vast that there's different levels of it.
PrincessKLS

Earthworm

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 04:25:09 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;160668
That was interesting but even vegetarianism is vast that there's different levels of it.

I would agree with that in that lacto-ovo-, lacto-, ovo-, and strict vegetarian comprise a spectrum of vegetarianism. I also agree with it in that some vegetarians who otherwise do not eat flesh may eat products with gelatin or cochineal (which I think is still used in food although Red #40 is more common?). But as far as eating the occasional flesh is concerned, I'm with Aranel. Pescetarians et al. have a place on the general dietary spectrum, but not under the umbrella of vegetarianism.

I can drink alcohol or use tobacco products in moderation, but that doesn't make me Straight Edge. It makes me healthier, because most things are healthier in moderation, and that's good, but I haven't made that commitment, and I don't belong under the label. <- This off-topic example has been an attempt to put things in perspective.
"A driving thirst for knowledge is the forerunner of wisdom." -Robert Cochrane

Tags: