Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Mars  (Read 1297 times)

Vymir

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Mars
« on: September 24, 2014, 01:06:17 am »
Does or has anybody worked with the Roman god Mars before? Recently I have been seeing references to him almost every day for the past week and a half and I think he is trying to get my attention. I know his Greek counterpart is Ares however from the research I have done, Mars seems to have been viewed in a much more positive light compared to his Greek counterpart.

What is his personality like?

LumberingLumberjack

• View Profile
Re: Mars
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:35:57 am »
Quote from: Vymir;160082
Does or has anybody worked with the Roman god Mars before? Recently I have been seeing references to him almost every day for the past week and a half and I think he is trying to get my attention. I know his Greek counterpart is Ares however from the research I have done, Mars seems to have been viewed in a much more positive light compared to his Greek counterpart.

Ive read a bit about him, I follow a Celtic path, but a lot of Gaulish Deities were associated with him via interpretatio romana.
His sphere of influence seems to be a lot wider then Ares, while Ares seems to of been viewed as a good of brutality, valour and raw masculine power, a damaging force outside of the battlefield, Mars was seen as an embodiment of manly ideals, Virility, bravery and Aggression. he was most well know as a  Patron of Warfare, tactics and peacekeeping, encompassing all aspects the Roman military.
He was also heavily associated with farming, agriculture and forestry, the majority of the roman military were farmers, so it was natural that their patron mirrored the dualistic nature of their livelihoods. in this way he was very closely linked to the god Silvanus, to the point where they could even be seen as different aspects of the same oversoul.
all in all I guess you could see Mars more as a wiser Veteran compared to Are's bloodthirsty combatant, this is even reflecting in their most iconic depictions: Areas a well built, smooth faced youth, and Mars a middle aged, Bearded and more regale looking Warrior.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:37:45 am by LumberingLumberjack »

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 03:16:51 am »
Quote from: LumberingLumberjack;160126

He was also heavily associated with farming, agriculture and forestry, the majority of the roman military were farmers, so it was natural that their patron mirrored the dualistic nature of their livelihoods.

This is, I think, the essential distinction between the two. Yes, both are war gods and both are icons of masculinity and virility. But there's something about Mars that is more...productive. He's not a force for destruction, but for civilization. He's a warrior-farmer, a paragon of Roman masculine virtues and expectations. He is a professional combatant but at the same time a man who will go back to his home once the war is won and build a better life for his people. It's of no surprise, then, that Mars was worshipped as one of the highest and most important gods of the Roman state, and had many temples built in his honour. Roman mythology treated Mars as an honourable and good figure.
Whereas Ares had no permanent temples and received sacrifice almost exclusively in prelude to a battle. And was depicted in mythology as a shameful, brutal god, shunned moreso than praised by his fellow Immortals. It shows, perhaps, how differently the Greeks and Romans treated the military as an institution and war as a concept.

OfSunlight&Shadows

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 04:03:01 am »
Quote from: Vymir;160082
Does or has anybody worked with the Roman god Mars before?

[snipped]

I have. He came to me and helped me though a tough time in my life and I continue to feel is presence still, though not as much as before. I briefly mentioned some things here.

To me he is a lot of things... powerful, timeless, strong, patient, earthy, just, reassuring, stable, grounding, captivating, of renewal, of spring, solid, a warrior, a teacher, etc.

He has many facets, not only in mythology but in my UPG. The others that posted mentioned his agricultural aspects and others, those are but a few.

We could meet in a meadow (in dreams/visions), so I have a lot of nature things that I associate with Him - sunlight hitting shadows, decaying and new life, wheat fields, blackberries, crows, etc. My username on here was inspired by one of the many personal epithets I gave Him, which were inspired by our time together. Another being, Of Blood and Berries (blackberries) - for obvious and other reasons. I have a pretty long list of others...

He would come to me at times, bloodied and in uniform of a soldier (ancient Rome) as if He just left a battle, but when we meet it was never about war and battle, but rather helping me though the death of a loved one. He's connected to life and death, so it makes sense. In this way He was more of a teacher, a mentor rather than a soldier. Though He is a warrior though and though. Someone that kills when necessary, that kills to protect, to conquer, etc. He did show me a field of dead (ancient battlefield, not modern), fallen in battle and how the dead fed the earth and kept the cycle of life repeating, which seemed tied to His agricultural associations as well - or the meeting of the two facets of His.

Not sure if this answers your question or not.
I can't really put to words what he felt like, how we was...it's pretty hard!
He might appear to you in a totally different way, so I'm not even sure if my experiences are at all helpful. :ashamed:

Pain and Light

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://painandlight.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 12:57:46 am »
Quote from: Louisvillian;160312
Whereas Ares had no permanent temples and received sacrifice almost exclusively in prelude to a battle. And was depicted in mythology as a shameful, brutal god, shunned moreso than praised by his fellow Immortals. It shows, perhaps, how differently the Greeks and Romans treated the military as an institution and war as a concept.

http://neosalexandria.org/syncretism/ares-and-the-modern-era/

I think this article about Ares might be of interest.

Apart from Quintus Smyrnaeus, there is little corroboration for Homer’s views of Ares.  Quintus Smyrnaeus is one of the few writer who speaks of Ares in the same fashion as Homer, but he is a latecomer who likely did nothing more but embellish the original stories.  Homer did not know or understand the will of the gods.  He was an entertainer, not a mantis.

Tags: