Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Worshipping one god  (Read 1577 times)

LattesAndTypewriters

• View Profile
Worshipping one god
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:09:23 am »
I pray to different deities but see them as aspects of one being. I know Hinduism is open to this but I was wondering if any other Non Abrahamic faiths were. Like which pagan religions do not require you to be hard polytheistic?

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: Worshipping one god
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 01:23:52 am »
Quote from: LattesAndTypewriters;159734
I pray to different deities but see them as aspects of one being. I know Hinduism is open to this but I was wondering if any other Non Abrahamic faiths were. Like which pagan religions do not require you to be hard polytheistic?

Well, to answer your statement about seeing deities as aspects of one being, it's called soft polytheism.

As for your last question...it's a bit complicated. You could google soft-polytheistic religions and build off of what comes up.

As a Devotional (and thus hard) Polytheist, it's hard to answer that question, but as an informed eclectic, it's a little easier. See, as you probably know, Paganism is basically one big umbrella term to group a bunch of little religions. This means you have a lot to draw from.

What are you interested in? Is it purely deity-centric, or is there magic(k) involved? Are you looking for a support system, a rigorous devotional path, or something that grounds and centers you? There's no reason a religion can't be all three or more, but what are you most focused on?

Who are you praying to? This might help determine what path would bring you the most satisfaction.

Finally, there's no reason you can't cobble something together yourself. It's a lot of work, but you get something tailor-made! :)

Hope this helped.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:25:07 am by HarpingHawke »
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

LattesAndTypewriters

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:30:18 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;159746
Well, to answer your statement about seeing deities as aspects of one being, it's called soft polytheism.

As for your last question...it's a bit complicated. You could google soft-polytheistic religions and build off of what comes up.

As a Devotional (and thus hard) Polytheist, it's hard to answer that question, but as an informed eclectic, it's a little easier. See, as you probably know, Paganism is basically one big umbrella term to group a bunch of little religions. This means you have a lot to draw from.

What are you interested in? Is it purely deity-centric, or is there magic(k) involved? Are you looking for a support system, a rigorous devotional path, or something that grounds and centers you? There's no reason a religion can't be all three or more, but what are you most focused on?

Who are you praying to? This might help determine what path would bring you the most satisfaction.

Finally, there's no reason you can't cobble something together yourself. It's a lot of work, but you get something tailor-made! :)

Hope this helped.

Well I am getting into witch craft. I know some Wiccans view god like I do,but I was just wondering if any other Pagans had the same views. I guess right now I am more focused on my relationship with the divine.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:35:01 am »

From what I've gathered just from a few other threads here about tribalism and mixing pantheons...what is nominally Reconstructionist paganism remains informed by contemporary concerns such as cultural appropriation. (I mean that it's articulated in contemporary vocabulary, not that it wasn't a problem back when it was actually happening.)

So, there's historical and archaeological evidence of deity mixing, and paganism never had a requirement for hard polytheism but you might not want to get too deep in with the recons. Unless you, well, actually do yes want to get in deep with the recons. They're generally cool people.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:36:19 am by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Siona

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://hearthandhedge.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 03:09:28 am »
Quote from: LattesAndTypewriters;159752
Well I am getting into witch craft. I know some Wiccans view god like I do,but I was just wondering if any other Pagans had the same views. I guess right now I am more focused on my relationship with the divine.

I've met quite a few individual pagans of all sorts of traditions that believe in soft polytheism, even if their tradition 'as a whole' doesn't follow that particular view. Looking more to particular traditions, there are a few branches of Egyptian reconstruction that lean to soft polytheism.

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 03:22:07 am »

I'm a panentheist.  Basically, the whole is more than the sum of its parts.  I believe in God.  I also believe in Pele.  I have also had interactions with local deities or beings.  None preclude the others.

Just because you like Mr. Stackhouse in science class doesn't make Ms. Ojai in English class less real or important.  Just different spaces.
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Tags: