Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Does subjective experience trump academic sources?  (Read 9264 times)

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Does subjective experience trump academic sources?
« on: September 21, 2014, 06:19:53 pm »
I was thinking of this while reading another thread wherein one person felt obligated to apologise for misconstruing the true character of a goddess based on what appeared to be that other person's subjective *experience* of that goddess.

Thing is, from my reading about this goddess , she was alloted certain characteristics by botht the mythology in which she appears and by numerous
 academics that have researched her which one of the posters apologised for mentioning. To be fair, not all academics agree so there is room to manuver in regard to interpretation. But certainly some aspects of her are agreed upon.

Which got me to wondering. I have to first own to not having a deity phone so I have to rely on academic sources for information. It is from this that I form my ideas on certain deities, their characters and place in mythological narratives.

So how much should someone who is limited to reading about a deity throw overboard when corrected by someone who has a subjective experience of this deity which disagrees with the literature?

I am not just referring to the thread I referenced. I studied Hecate for a couple of years and nothing I read seemed to indicate this chthonic goddess was at all warm and fuzzy yet other people who claimed to be in her thrall or at least in cominication with her assured me that she was the victim of bad press and she first and foremost a loving, nurturing mother-type. I did hope this didn't mean the posters had sacrificed puppies to their real life moms if this was their 'model' :eek:

The problem with this is without those early stories, we would not even know about ancient deities.

The best answer is to both read and investigate one's experiences. But I know from past history that many on pagan forums will metaphorically beat the crap out of someone who only has access to research which contradicts their ideas and it can be very confusing for a seeker. A lot of people will simply turn away from the mythology and go by the popular consensus .

So do you think that if your experience contradicts the known mythology, you can safely disregard it and should you encourage others to do so as well?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 06:20:47 pm by carillion »

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Does subjective experience trump academic sources?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 06:29:14 pm »
Quote from: carillion;159694
So do you think that if your experience contradicts the known mythology, you can safely disregard it and should you encourage others to do so as well?

This seems like a somewhat leading question. I'm not really sure I feel comfortable engaging with the topic of lore vs. UPG when it's being presented it a manner that seems to be clearly saying "there is only ONE way to interpret academic sources." I can read the same articles as you or anyone else. I don't have to come to the same conclusions to be right.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 06:38:05 pm »

I really think there's going to be a few factors to consider: 1) What is your (general) approach to deity work? and 2) What is the nature of the UPG or subjective experience?

What I mean by your approach to the work, is that a reconstructionist is going to go by factual history and logical reconstruction.  But, someone who is more inclined to trance work may place more emphasis on UPG or subjective experience rather than affording historical information more merit.

Secondly, if the UPG or experience is completely contradictory to the noted lore and history, I think it should probably be examined a little further.  For example, I have worked extensively with Hekate before.  Our historical records indicate that she was not a maternal sort of deity.  But, my subjective experience in working with Her has indicated that she is not a completely nefarious deity and that She is capable of showing Her own sort of motherly tendencies in Her own way.  So, the truth for me after examining both the lore and my experience points to the truth being somewhere in the middle.

There is a thread I started over in the Cill SIG titled 'Changing Perceptions of Brighid'.  I think it's sort of exemplary of how I approach experience versus lore/history.  I don't think the two have to oppose one another.  When I receive UPG or understand something new from my personal experiences, I compare it to the lore.  Again, for me, the "truth" is often somewhere in the middle.  

I don't really think that either should be discarded in favor of the other.  If we compare deity relationships to human relationships, who is likely to be able to tell you more about another person or deity- A book written by a stranger on said person or deity, or a first-hand experience by a person you can easily converse with who personally knows the person or diety?  Each is likely to yield different information, but there is likely to be a bit of truth and fallacy or bias to both accounts.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 06:39:37 pm »
I was thinking of this while reading another thread wherein one person felt obligated to apologise for misconstruing the true character of a goddess based on what appeared to be that other person's subjective *experience* of that goddess.

Thing is, from my reading about this goddess , she was alloted certain characteristics by botht the mythology in which she appears and by numerous
 academics that have researched her which one of the posters apologised for mentioning. To be fair, not all academics agree so there is room to manuver in regard to interpretation. But certainly some aspects of her are agreed upon.

So you're talking about the Morrigan, here? What scholarly sources have you read? Have you read the primary literature yourself? Because from that, she actually doesn't come across as the bloodthirsty harpy that pop-mythology texts paint her to be. She was a goddess of sovereignty. You had to RESPECT HER. Cu Cuchulain disrespected her. BIG TIME. That's why she went after him. You don't treat a goddess of sovereignty like he did and expect to get away with it. Hell...you shouldn't expect to treat a PERSON like that and come away without consequences.

So I think here, the balance between subjective experience and objective truth is...what are those sources? There's plenty of bad "academic" stuff out there, even translations of classic texts can garble things. While I certainly expect to check UPG against lore, I also want to check lore against itself.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 06:45:31 pm »

Or, you know, the actual lore.

Someone whose experience is of a bloodthirsty sexpot is having an experience that contradicts the known mythology of the Morrigan, yes, and other people will say "Wrong number."

Every time.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 07:02:51 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;159702
Or, you know, the actual lore.

Someone whose experience is of a bloodthirsty sexpot is having an experience that contradicts the known mythology of the Morrigan, yes, and other people will say "Wrong number."

Every time.

I didn't intend to open such a can of worms with my comment on the other thread that it spills over into another thread!

So I'll repeat and clarify my apology from the other thread:

Morag was right. I was wrong.

Dead wrong. I slandered the Morrigan and insulted Morags goddess and faith based on half-assed pop culture notions and half-remembered readings of Celtic mythology.

I acknowledge my errors.

I apologize, and will continue to do so as needed.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 07:04:07 pm »

Which got me to wondering. I have to first own to not having a deity phone so I have to rely on academic sources for information. It is from this that I form my ideas on certain deities, their characters and place in mythological narratives.

So how much should someone who is limited to reading about a deity throw overboard when corrected by someone who has a subjective experience of this deity which disagrees with the literature?

I am not just referring to the thread I referenced. I studied Hecate for a couple of years and nothing I read seemed to indicate this chthonic goddess was at all warm and fuzzy yet other people who claimed to be in her thrall or at least in cominication with her assured me that she was the victim of bad press and she first and foremost a loving, nurturing mother-type. I did hope this didn't mean the posters had sacrificed puppies to their real life moms if this was their 'model' :eek:

The problem with this is without those early stories, we would not even know about ancient deities.

The best answer is to both read and investigate one's experiences. But I know from past history that many on pagan forums will metaphorically beat the crap out of someone who only has access to research which contradicts their ideas and it can be very confusing for a seeker. A lot of people will simply turn away from the mythology and go by the popular consensus .

Personally, I think that academic sources must take primacy and for several reasons.
Firstly it is because I am a student and my natural instinct on checking any claim is to go back to the sources.
Secondly it is because such sources are usually more widely accessible than someones personal gnosis. Basically anyone can read them (though some might be hard to find at times). This is important for establishing the provenance (sp?) of an idea.
Thirdly, this acts as insurance against fraud. Maybe this idea is more relevant to me because Indigenous religions are often targeted by frauds but it could be a serious issue for any religious group. Misuse of such religious ideas can and has lead to injury and even death in the past.
Lastly, lets us be honest. We are armatures in many of these religions. Those who recorded those myths and spread them were probably professionals who dedicated their whole lives to understanding the divine, built on top of sometimes thousands of years of social interaction with the gods. To think that one can know better just from a brief fleeting contact, just seems arrogant to me. Maybe one day things will be different, but not today.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 07:17:10 pm »

I have to say, the attitude here towards people with deity communication seems to be pretty awful.  As though anyone with any concept that isn't 100% lore accurate is .. deviant?  Misguided?

There's lore.  Which is often contradictory to begin with.  There's actual recorded practice, which doesn't necessarily match the mythology.  F'ex, Greek mythology has Zeus and Hera routinely at odds because Zeus is seducing everything.  Actual practice has them worshiped /as a couple/ and as guardians of /marriage/ among other things.

So even in a religion that has a ton of stuff written down that came to us, there are discrepancies.  There's variation.  Make that a zillion times more so when dealing with less-known deities, or religions where stuff wasn't written down.

There's a reason we fill in the gaps with experience.  There's not enough to go on without it.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 07:48:26 pm »

I would really like it if you would stop misrepresenting what I say.

Oh, I guess I should bow down to YOUR interpretation of the lore instead of going by...what the lore actually says?

Are there any other gods whose lore you've interpreted the Right and True Way that I should ask you about before I dare to have the temerity to approach Them? I just don't want to, you know, go against the lore you've so kindly interpreted for me and everyone else.

My experience DIDN'T disagree with the literature, and doesn't. Nor did I ever suggest that people should throw the lore overboard when listening to UPG.

I am not just referring to the thread I referenced.

Oh, good, because for a second there I was starting to feel targeted. Can't imagine why. MAYBE it's because you've been vaguely pointing at the post I made, without naming me directly, and then saying I said something I clearly did not.

I studied Hecate for a couple of years and nothing I read seemed to indicate this chthonic goddess was at all warm and fuzzy yet other people who claimed to be in her thrall or at least in cominication with her assured me that she was the victim of bad press and she first and foremost a loving, nurturing mother-type. I did hope this didn't mean the posters had sacrificed puppies to their real life moms if this was their 'model' :eek:

...why on EARTH would you think people would sacrifice dogs to their mortal mothers based on what they say about a goddess? Seriously, what the HELL would lead you to that conclusion?

I never. encouraged. anyone. to disregard the mythology. I even, in a later post, LINKED to a page that talks about the mythology and encouraged the OP to read more of the lore in their path to figure out if tM were, indeed, calling them.

I do not understand why you had to fundamentally misrepresent what I said in order to ask your question.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 08:02:30 pm »
As a librarian, I like academic sources, but I think it's really important not to put them on a pedestal.

Quote from: Yei;159707
Firstly it is because I am a student and my natural instinct on checking any claim is to go back to the sources.

Which is great - but here's the thing. Academics are people, and often their work has substantial flaws, for all sorts of reasons. (We discussed some of these on a recent thread but there are lots of other reasons, like the actual data being flawed.)

Secondly, sources from lore are often problematic. For some things, there just isn't a right answer and a wrong answer (life has a lot of things like that.) We have some versions for some cultures of some stories, but very little complete work. Different people who wrote down the myths and stories cared about different pieces (and may well have changed bits for their own reasons). And that's *before* we get into issues like translations, how languages change over time, how sometimes people read an idiomatic phrase in one language and don't understand what it implies.

(One example of this in New Testament Greek is the idea in some denominations that only 144,000 people can be saved. In fact, the phrase that comes out to 'twelve thousand by twelve thousand' is just the way you say 'really big non-specific number' in Greek, like we'd say 'zillions' or something like that. Language is full of this kind of thing, is what I'm saying.)

Secondly it is because such sources are usually more widely accessible than someones personal gnosis. Basically anyone can read them (though some might be hard to find at times). This is important for establishing the provenance (sp?) of an idea.

Lots of people refer to information badly on the web, but really, I have a hard time arguing that academic sources automatically better here. First, *not* everyone can get access to those academic sources, especially if you're talking about the origins of an idea - many journals are still being digitised, others are just not very available, and people may not have reliable access to academic libraries or the ability to read the languages that a given article is in.

(The former access is more available than many people realise, but that doesn't mean it's universal. Plus, lots of people don't know *how* to read academic texts, and that can mess things up even more.)

In contrast, it's trivial to create a method of sourcing information on a modern webpage, by posting either the information on the source (if it's print or not-online), or by creating a linked reference. This is also imperfect, of course (sites go dark, people change pages) but with things like archive.org, I think it's hard to argue it's *worse* than academic access is for the kinds of material we might be talking about.

Thirdly, this acts as insurance against fraud. Maybe this idea is more relevant to me because Indigenous religions are often targeted by frauds but it could be a serious issue for any religious group. Misuse of such religious ideas can and has lead to injury and even death in the past.

Again, academic articles just aren't better here. They're still written by humans. With agendas. And many of those humans are not actually experts in the relevant religion. In many cases, they're outsiders to religion (again, see the linked thread above), and even if they're not, they're - well, professional academics, generally, not full-time priests or priestesses.

Lastly, lets us be honest. We are armatures in many of these religions. Those who recorded those myths and spread them were probably professionals who dedicated their whole lives to understanding the divine, built on top of sometimes thousands of years of social interaction with the gods. To think that one can know better just from a brief fleeting contact, just seems arrogant to me. Maybe one day things will be different, but not today.

I am a trained professional researcher. My training as a priestess was in many ways (and I can tell this because I did them during the same span of time) *more* rigorous than my training as a professional librarian in a well-designed program. Both taught me a lot of specific things that I continue to use (7 years after I completed both my 3rd degree and my MLIS), and in a more varied way than a Ph.D (which is of necessity extremely tightly focused) would allow.

(I have not had a lifetime to perfect it: I turn 39 tomorrow. But I'm working on that part.)

But I also know that many of the people who passed down lore either were more complicated in background than you're implying, or were, well, also human. Euripides was a playwright, and how he went about questions of Gods and human kind are very informative, but he wasn't a full-time professional priest. Neither was Homer, most likely. Neither were the people who were leaving behind small familial homes and their related archaeological evidence in cities in Egypt or putting items into sacred pools in England or painting caves in France or making burial tombs in Tuscany. And yet, all of those people had personal and meaningful experiences of the divine, and left some of them for us to understand.

(And it's precisely those things that are the basis for most academic study. The study of 'text written by professional priests being the thing you focus on' is, well, Christian history and later, really. Even there it's not actually true - we also have lots of material from people who did other things as their jobs - but it's at least *more* true.)

And they're still all human. Why are we trying to deny human experience and learn from *all* of it, when it's about gods and life and what matters? Academics are not better people. They just happen to be academics.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:04:59 pm by Jenett »
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 08:12:48 pm »
Thing is, from my reading about this goddess , she was alloted certain characteristics by botht the mythology in which she appears and by numerous academics that have researched her which one of the posters apologised for mentioning. To be fair, not all academics agree so there is room to manuver in regard to interpretation. But certainly some aspects of her are agreed upon.

Rather than dance around it, I'll be specific; the characterization in question was, 'a bloodthirsty goddess of wanton sex and rampant slaughter'. These are not 'aspects of her that are agreed on' in the relevant academic fields, nor even one of the competing respected academic views; nor is is supportable by the extant literature.

Please support your above claims by citing sources - they should be academic, since you've invoked academia; there should be several, since you've invoked the matters of academic interpretation and consensus; and they should include modern ones (preferably quite recent) to indicate the current academic views.

I am not just referring to the thread I referenced. I studied Hecate for a couple of years and nothing I read seemed to indicate this chthonic goddess was at all warm and fuzzy yet other people who claimed to be in her thrall or at least in cominication with her assured me that she was the victim of bad press and she first and foremost a loving, nurturing mother-type.

But I know from past history that many on pagan forums will metaphorically beat the crap out of someone who only has access to research which contradicts their ideas and it can be very confusing for a seeker.

These are not things you will find here. To cite instances of UPG that directly contradicts the historical/academic record that occurred elsewhere, as if they are relevant to what happens on TC, is an instance of the straw man fallacy.

Morag's UPG experience as cited is not even remotely comparable; 'UPG that includes things not found in the lore, but which does not explicitly or implicitly contradict it,' is not the same thing as, 'UPG that contradicts the lore'.

Since no one here has done that (let me emphasize it once more: MORAG'S EXPERIENCE DOES NOT CONTRADICT EITHER THE RELEVANT LITERATURE OR CURRENT ACADEMIC UNDERSTANDINGS THEREOF), this is a question to which the answer is already 'No,' as far as most Cauldron members are concerned.

There is no purpose to be served in asking on the Cauldron about the positions of people on other forums. I am wondering why you appear to be doing so.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 09:36:03 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;159714
Which is great - but here's the thing. Academics are people, and often their work has substantial flaws, for all sorts of reasons. (We discussed some of these on a recent thread but there are lots of other reasons, like the actual data being flawed.)

Secondly, sources from lore are often problematic. For some things, there just isn't a right answer and a wrong answer (life has a lot of things like that.) We have some versions for some cultures of some stories, but very little complete work. Different people who wrote down the myths and stories cared about different pieces (and may well have changed bits for their own reasons). And that's *before* we get into issues like translations, how languages change over time, how sometimes people read an idiomatic phrase in one language and don't understand what it implies.

(One example of this in New Testament Greek is the idea in some denominations that only 144,000 people can be saved. In fact, the phrase that comes out to 'twelve thousand by twelve thousand' is just the way you say 'really big non-specific number' in Greek, like we'd say 'zillions' or something like that. Language is full of this kind of thing, is what I'm saying.)

So? The point is you can do this. You can go back and check. If you suspect a problem with the source material, you can question them yourself. Academic texts, at least good ones, will give sources which any reader can check. You can go and read their sources and then make up your own mind. Nor are historians ignorant of biases and misrepresentation. They frequently question each other, and history is being constantly revised, and any reader can be a part of that process. You can compare different interpretations or compare different myths and draw a conclusion from that.

Lots of people refer to information badly on the web, but really, I have a hard time arguing that academic sources automatically better here. First, *not* everyone can get access to those academic sources, especially if you're talking about the origins of an idea - many journals are still being digitised, others are just not very available, and people may not have reliable access to academic libraries or the ability to read the languages that a given article is in.

(The former access is more available than many people realise, but that doesn't mean it's universal. Plus, lots of people don't know *how* to read academic texts, and that can mess things up even more.)

In contrast, it's trivial to create a method of sourcing information on a modern webpage, by posting either the information on the source (if it's print or not-online), or by creating a linked reference. This is also imperfect, of course (sites go dark, people change pages) but with things like archive.org, I think it's hard to argue it's *worse* than academic access is for the kinds of material we might be talking about.

Academic and serious texts are not that hard to get. Libraries can special order texts, texts are easily and cheaply available through online stores or simply online. They are becoming cheaper and more widely available all the time. Academic information can also be brought to people through the internet. Compare this to someone's, let's say, dream, which you will never be able to experience yourself and will have to go back to sources in order to make sense of anyway.

Again, academic articles just aren't better here. They're still written by humans. With agendas. And many of those humans are not actually experts in the relevant religion. In many cases, they're outsiders to religion (again, see the linked thread above), and even if they're not, they're - well, professional academics, generally, not full-time priests or priestesses.

The important point is not the academics per se, its the ability to check their claims, and that such texts can and are, contextualised and challenged when they are updated. Besides, being outside of a religion and/or culture can be a benefit, since they can take a more 'neutral' or dispassionate perspective, or simply make the experience more understandable for an outsider.

I am a trained professional researcher. My training as a priestess was in many ways (and I can tell this because I did them during the same span of time) *more* rigorous than my training as a professional librarian in a well-designed program. Both taught me a lot of specific things that I continue to use (7 years after I completed both my 3rd degree and my MLIS), and in a more varied way than a Ph.D (which is of necessity extremely tightly focused) would allow.

(I have not had a lifetime to perfect it: I turn 39 tomorrow. But I'm working on that part.)

Good for you. I'm glad to hear that.

But I also know that many of the people who passed down lore either were more complicated in background than you're implying, or were, well, also human. Euripides was a playwright, and how he went about questions of Gods and human kind are very informative, but he wasn't a full-time professional priest. Neither was Homer, most likely. Neither were the people who were leaving behind small familial homes and their related archaeological evidence in cities in Egypt or putting items into sacred pools in England or painting caves in France or making burial tombs in Tuscany. And yet, all of those people had personal and meaningful experiences of the divine, and left some of them for us to understand.

But that's the point. You can check up on that stuff. Academics will note and record that information. They can read about Euripides, tell the reader about his life, and offer an interpretation and give sources. Most importantly of all, you can check up on them. You have the option of agreeing with them or not.

And they're still all human. Why are we trying to deny human experience and learn from *all* of it, when it's about gods and life and what matters? Academics are not better people. They just happen to be academics.

It is not about the academics being better people or not, it is about understanding where ideas come from and the context where those ideas developed. I know that academics are not perfect. I know that they can be biased, prejudice, even idiotic. But so can other people. All these problems will apply to any form of knowledge that I can think of. At least an academic text, the good ones anyway, will tell you what their interpretation is based on.

In addition academic sources IS learning from the human experience. Numerous sources (at least in my area) come from written and oral sources created by the members of the religion/culture in question. History brings their voices to life so they can be heard, and gives them context (and translations) so they can be understood. Much of this personal experience would have been lost, or be untranslated, or simply intelligible if academics had not worked on it. And at the end of the day, modern gnosis, in order to be understood, still needs to be contextualised by examining sources anyway. So if anything academic sources provide a means of empowering gnosis by helping it to be interpreted through a community.

In the end I suspect the difference between us is that most people don't get their information about your religion from Apocalypto (at best).

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 09:43:08 pm »
Quote from: Yei;159720
In the end I suspect the difference between us is that most people don't get their information about your religion from Apocalypto (at best).

If Mel Gibsons schlockfest is the best, I'm terrified to ask what the worst is.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:02:45 pm by RandallS »
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 09:56:14 pm »

This is a really interesting topic, Carillion, especially for someone new, like me. Trying to figure out where to get my information and what weight to give upg is quite a challenge.

Cool. I'm hoping to learn something. :)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 11:27:14 pm »
I have to first own to not having a deity phone so I have to rely on academic sources for information. It is from this that I form my ideas on certain deities, their characters and place in mythological narratives.

I don't have the numbers of mythological gods either, which works out well because I don't think the mythology is the god.  I'd say a tribe/state/era is like a family that has shared experiences, experiences that inform how they develop as a people, and that the myths reflect that. I'm not a part of that particular family and my relationships with the gods aren't formed from those same experiences.

What I do share with those people is the experience of being human. I know what fall is, I know what the ocean is, I know what rain is. I don't need a mythology to tell me that they exist. I don't have the relationship with the ocean that a fisherman might, so I'd listen to him with interest when he describes that particular relationship, but I'm not going to listen if he tries to tell me that the ocean isn't wet.

I can read about the Vietnam war, but that isn't all of War, and it doesn't mean that a new war is going to be fought and experienced in exactly the same. I can listen to a vet's personal experience in a specific quadrant, and then I can read a historian's book  that documents the entire campaign. Both will be two totally different, but equally valid perceptions of an event.

But the only way I will ever have a personal experience of war or the ocean is to actually experience the war or the ocean. And how much that matters or not is up to me.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Tags: