collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Herbs for a witch's garden  (Read 4077 times)

Wiccan Mama

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Herbs for a witch's garden
« on: September 20, 2014, 10:48:06 pm »
When spring rolls aroung here I'm planning on adding an herb garder to our vegetable garder.  I'm wanting to know what herbs would be good for a start.  Most of them would be used for magic, but some for cooking.

katbast

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Herbs for a witch's garden
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 12:18:20 am »
Quote from: Wiccan Mama;159628
When spring rolls aroung here I'm planning on adding an herb garder to our vegetable garder.  I'm wanting to know what herbs would be good for a start.  Most of them would be used for magic, but some for cooking.

I'm planning to do the same thing! I'm looking also for herbs that can help heal common ailments such as aloe. Sage for cleansing spaces. Lavender for sleep and relaxation. Patchouli for the same. Rosemary is good for cooking and something else....protection maybe.... Were you looking for certain properties?

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 01:17:10 am »

I'm a fan of mint, basil, rosemary, lavender and sage. At least in theory. In reality my plants tend to die from not enough sun. Such is life.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 07:32:32 am »

Seconding the basil recommendation. Also...a nice pot of catnip. My BFF was given catnip tea as a child to help her sleep. It is apparently a stress reliever in humans, beyond its obviously almost entheogenic properties in cats. ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:33:37 am by Redfaery »
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Wiccan Mama

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 11:20:35 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;159647
Seconding the basil recommendation. Also...a nice pot of catnip. My BFF was given catnip tea as a child to help her sleep. It is apparently a stress reliever in humans, beyond its obviously almost entheogenic properties in cats. ;)

I think I would stay away from catnip.  My husband's mom and stepdad live next to us and she has cats.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 11:21:25 am »
Quote from: Wiccan Mama;159653
I think I would stay away from catnip.  My husband's mom and stepdad live next to us and she has cats.
Hahaha....that's a good reason.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Wiccan Mama

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 11:22:00 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;159639
I'm a fan of mint, basil, rosemary, lavender and sage. At least in theory. In reality my plants tend to die from not enough sun. Such is life.

A good list.  Our garden gets plenty of sun.

katbast

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 11:25:10 am »
Quote from: Wiccan Mama;159655
A good list.  Our garden gets plenty of sun.

I sure you're aware but encase you aren't, keep in mind that mint will take over if you let it. I keep mine in a separate planter completely but a lot of people will just use pots.

Wiccan Mama

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 11:32:19 am »
Quote from: katbast;159656
I sure you're aware but encase you aren't, keep in mind that mint will take over if you let it. I keep mine in a separate planter completely but a lot of people will just use pots.

I grew it once before and I do have a large pot to put it in.  Need most of the garden for vegetables.  Trying to keep grocery bill down, but I still want a little magic in my garden again.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 05:38:24 pm »

As well as the things people have posted in this thread, you might find it useful to look for older threads on the subject. Some of them can be found in our Home and Garden forum in the social discussion areas.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 05:49:31 pm »

Rosemary's always good. Good for cooking, good for magick involving cleansing and clarity of mind, good smells!

Aloe Vera, good for burns especially sunburns, and since you're in Texas, you'll need it. ;) Should  have absolute scads growing locally.

Avoid oleander if you have children or pets, as I know its a common decorative tree in southwestrern regions. Stuff is deadly poison.

Sumac is lovely, the bobs can be made into a tea or spice and make a nice red dye, and they look very exotic.

I envy you, living somewhere warm. All my yard grows is apples, horse chestnuts, and weeds.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Wiccan Mama

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 01:41:27 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;159692
Rosemary's always good. Good for cooking, good for magick involving cleansing and clarity of mind, good smells!

Aloe Vera, good for burns especially sunburns, and since you're in Texas, you'll need it. ;) Should  have absolute scads growing locally.

Avoid oleander if you have children or pets, as I know its a common decorative tree in southwestrern regions. Stuff is deadly poison.

Sumac is lovely, the bobs can be made into a tea or spice and make a nice red dye, and they look very exotic.

I envy you, living somewhere warm. All my yard grows is apples, horse chestnuts, and weeds.

We hav probably 12 alo plants.  I hate oleander.  My kids would mess with it.  Then the horse and cattle would too.
 I would not envy us on the Texas gulf coast.  Summers are horrid here.  100 degree heat with VERY high humidity.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 05:53:47 pm »
Quote from: Wiccan Mama;159924
We hav probably 12 alo plants.  I hate oleander.  My kids would mess with it.  Then the horse and cattle would too.
 I would not envy us on the Texas gulf coast.  Summers are horrid here.  100 degree heat with VERY high humidity.

Try our winters. Minus ten with extreme dryness.

Not much better.

Then come bug and mud seasons. Mosquitoes the size of your pinkie, blackflies the size of your thumb...
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Wiccan Mama

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 10:00:04 pm »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;160023
Try our winters. Minus ten with extreme dryness.

Not much better.

Then come bug and mud seasons. Mosquitoes the size of your pinkie, blackflies the size of your thumb...

We have the giant Mosquitos.  Just this afternoon one tried to take off with my youngest. :p
Anywho, You can keep the winter.  Ity may freeze only a few times here.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 08:10:08 am »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;159692
Rosemary's always good. Good for cooking, good for magick involving cleansing and clarity of mind, good smells!.

If you're growing rosemary, grow some thyme as well. Goes great on chicken and in soup.

I've also been told that a thyme tea is an excellent expectorant, so there's a nice witchy use for it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:10:50 am by Redfaery »

Tags: