collapse

Author Topic: What if you cant ground yourself.  (Read 58147 times)

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: Male
What if you cant ground yourself.
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:43:04 pm »
Well the title pretty much sayus it all:
What if you cant ground yourself?
Every time i try i feel like i am floating in the air.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: What if you cant ground yourself.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 01:48:08 pm »
Quote from: Thrak;159514
Well the title pretty much sayus it all:
What if you cant ground yourself?
Every time i try i feel like i am floating in the air.

What method(s) have you tried?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 01:50:50 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;159516
What method(s) have you tried?

Sunflower

Standing on the ground, closing my eyes and focussing.
Meditating. (Never works for me)
Dont know any other methods.

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 02:19:13 pm »
Quote from: Thrak;159517
These are ideal. Now, are you asking in general, or for after ritual/moving energy? In general stuff, someone else will have to advise, but for after energy work, eating something helps you ground out of the ritual state. A light snack will do it, and it's a temporary fix while you work on other methods, but it does work
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 02:23:56 pm »
Quote from: Thrak;159517

I thought that might be the case, but didn't want to assume. Despite what you might have been told, grounding isn't just something that happens by 'focusing' on it; it's one of a set of techniques. While some folks are able to do some of these things 'naturally', that just means that they developed the technique subconsciously - that's often not as advantageous as it appears, since that makes it much harder to adapt it to different circumstances.

One of the longtime members here on TC, Jenett, has a 'Seeking' site with lots of good info, including a really clear and useful breakdown of the techniques in question - that can be found from the Practices page; it's the section marked 'Core Skills'.

You'll probably head straight for the article on grounding - it's okay to make that the first thing you read, but don't just read that; the set of techniques build on each other, so when you're actually doing the technique-development, it'll work better to take each of the Core Skills items in order.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 02:26:19 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;159520
I thought that might be the case, but didn't want to assume. Despite what you might have been told, grounding isn't just something that happens by 'focusing' on it; it's one of a set of techniques. While some folks are able to do some of these things 'naturally', that just means that they developed the technique subconsciously - that's often not as advantageous as it appears, since that makes it much harder to adapt it to different circumstances.

One of the longtime members here on TC, Jenett, has a 'Seeking' site with lots of good info, including a really clear and useful breakdown of the techniques in question - that can be found from the Practices page; it's the section marked 'Core Skills'.

You'll probably head straight for the article on grounding - it's okay to make that the first thing you read, but don't just read that; the set of techniques build on each other, so when you're actually doing the technique-development, it'll work better to take each of the Core Skills items in order.

Sunflower

So they amplify each other?

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 02:27:24 pm »
Quote from: random417;159519
These are ideal.

Since Thrak says they aren't working for him, they clearly are not ideal.

Sunflower

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 02:30:46 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;159522
Since Thrak says they aren't working for him, they clearly are not ideal.

Sunflower

Not when you have been hexed in the past no.

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 02:39:45 pm »
Quote from: Thrak;159521

We-ell, that'd depend on what definition of 'amplify' one is using. If you're thinking of it as 'add more power/energy', not directly. But you will understand each one better for knowing the others, and as a result will be able to use them more effectively.

I'll add a bit of more general advice here. Those 'mean girls' you mentioned in your intro post? Probably didn't actually know/understand very much about what they were doing, and even if they did, it's clear from your description of the situation that they had no reason to explain it usefully to you, and every reason to explain it in a way that increased the difference in power between you and them. So throw out everything you picked up from them - most of it will be wrong, and any bits that are right, you'll run across again elsewhere.

Sunflower

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 02:40:38 pm »
Quote from: Thrak;159521

Think of it like learning to write a paper for school: there's a bunch of different skills involved. There's the sentence by sentence making sentences. There's arranging things into a longer discussion that does whatever you want to do with your paper (inform, demonstrate something, argue a theory, whatever.) There's the very mechanical skills of 'how do you open a word processing file and type things into it and save it and submit it'.

(And then like writing a paper, some of this is not a skill but an art form: everyone's going to write their paper a bit differently. Everyone's going to center and ground and shield differently.)

But you can't write really excellent papers (or do them easily or fluently) if you're struggling with how to put words in a row. Or sentences in a larger structure. Or if you can't figure out how to get your computer to do what you want. You need all those parts to do something solid and awesome, just like you need to understand how to manage what's you, what's not you, what your energy's doing (and where it's going) and so on to be your best self.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 02:42:40 pm »
Quote from: Thrak;159524
Not when you have been hexed in the past no.

That sounds like a good place to start with throwing out what they told you. I very, very much doubt that they had the ability to actually 'hex' you effectively - but they did have the ability to mess with your head to make you think they were that powerful.

Sunflower

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 02:45:13 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;159527
That sounds like a good place to start with throwing out what they told you. I very, very much doubt that they had the ability to actually 'hex' you effectively - but they did have the ability to mess with your head to make you think they were that powerful.

Sunflower

Well that makes sense, i do still feel the fear at times, i guess thats the main factor.
Being weak is one of my worst fears.

Also when i get to much information at once my mind crashes.

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 02:48:27 pm »
Quote from: Thrak;159529
Well that makes sense, i do still feel the fear at times, i guess thats the main factor.
Being weak is one of my worst fears.

Also when i get to much information at once my mind crashes.

Then I will add this: take the info on Jenett's site a little at a time - whatever pace works for you. That's good advice for anyone, but is perhaps particularly good for you to know is okay to do.

Sunflower

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 02:51:36 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;159530
Then I will add this: take the info on Jenett's site a little at a time - whatever pace works for you. That's good advice for anyone, but is perhaps particularly good for you to know is okay to do.

Sunflower

I will. I guess.
I just get upset, no furious, when i find out that some are born with abilities i have been trying to unsuccessfully obtain all my life.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 03:10:35 pm »
Quote from: Thrak;159531
I will. I guess.
I just get upset, no furious, when i find out that some are born with abilities i have been trying to unsuccessfully obtain all my life.

The thing is, that's true for *everyone*. We all have things that come naturally to us, and things that don't. (And it's true within magical practice, too.)

A friend of mine who's an author put out the idea that I very much like - that we all have some areas in the things we care about that are gifts from the universe, and some things that aren't. So some authors have a gift for dialogue, or setting up the world they're writing in, or a particular way of hinting at a plot without being heavy handed - but the author who's great at dialogue might need to do a *lot* of work to make their plot flow, or they might really struggle with some kinds of character writing, or something else. People can learn to make up for the things they're not as good at, but no one gets all the pieces given to them, really.

Similarly, I have a great memory, I'm good at designing rituals, I learn book knowledge easily - but it took me a *long* time to learn how to manage energy compared to some people I know, and it took even longer for me to learn how to use heavily visual meditations, and there's some kinds of magical work I just can't do because my body won't handle them. (Anything involving more than a certain amount of movement, and at some times in the year, my lungs are really iffy so breathing work's not reliable.)

And yet, if I'm going to be a competent witch and priestess, I needed to learn how to improve the skills that don't come naturally to me, get better at the ones that do, and then learn a bunch of things that are applications of the various pieces (which is a part that's really much more about how you decide to apply practice and learning than about which bits you get naturally.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: