Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Encyclopedia Hellenica  (Read 2865 times)

Basquiat

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Encyclopedia Hellenica
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:26:08 am »
Encyclopedia Hellenica:

I plan on authoring a nice dictionary because I often stumble upon quite a few threads that have dealt with the meaning of specific terminology and phraseology on the  Hellenic and Roman Polytheism SIG board, and I think it would be swell to compile the information into a thread regarding Hellenism.  

I'll leave the original post to serve as a placeholder until I am ready to publish my endeavor.

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Encyclopedia Hellenica
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 01:55:56 am »
Quote from: Basquiat;159477
Encyclopedia Hellenica:

I plan on authoring a nice dictionary because I often stumble upon quite a few threads that have dealt with the meaning of specific terminology and phraseology on the  Hellenic and Roman Polytheism SIG board, and I think it would be swell to compile the information into a thread regarding Hellenism.  

I'll leave the original post to serve as a placeholder until I am ready to publish my endeavor.

Do you mean a lexicon?

Basquiat

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 02:49:22 am »
Quote from: carillion;159478
Do you mean a lexicon?

Yes, exactly so; a dictionary created for forum use. Of course, I'll be open to adding new things toward the work.

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 03:13:16 am »
Encyclopedia Hellenica:

We have several wiki pages (including a specifically Hellenic hub-page-collection-thingie), but I didn't see any specifically regarding definitions and terms.  That might be a better option than a thread for a collection of definitions, and it'd be a lot easier to locate and link to for others.  I have no idea how to write the pages and make them and things, unfortunately, but a staff member or other Cauldronites will.

Basquiat

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 04:13:21 am »
Quote from: Breeze;159481

I assure you, the thread will be more convenient a tool to use than the alternative. It'll simply consist of one well categorized post and the necessary following post or two to notify the membership that the dictionary had been updated. I will be updating the dictionary today at noon and requesting that the thread be made an announcement or something.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:48:09 am by SunflowerP »

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 04:38:04 am »
Quote from: Basquiat;159480
Yes, exactly so; a dictionary created for forum use. Of course, I'll be open to adding new things toward the work.

Do you mean something like this? :

http://www.lexilogos.com/english/greek_ancient_dictionary.htm

Basquiat

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 05:19:32 am »
Quote from: carillion;159484
Do you mean something like this?

You'll see whenever I've made my first update. :)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 08:13:31 am »

If you are planning to edit thhe first post of this thread to have your lexicon, remember that not only is it against the rules to edit posts after more than a few minutes have gone by, but that the board software prevents any editing (except by staff members) after 10 minutes or so.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 11:50:30 am »
As a side note, this is something I'd love to see for all the SIGs
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 11:56:25 am »
Quote from: random417;159500
As a side note, this is something I'd love to see for all the SIGs

A Reminder:

random417,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Melamphoros, TC Board Staff

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 03:37:29 pm »
Quote from: Basquiat;159482
I assure you, the thread will be more convenient a tool to use than the alternative. It'll simply consist of one well categorized post and the necessary following post or two to notify the membership that the dictionary had been updated. I will be updating the dictionary today at noon and requesting that the thread be made an announcement or something.

It's worth pointing out that each Wiki page has it's own discussion page as well, and when people post in said discussion page, it gives everyone a notification for it in the "What's New?" tab at the top of the forum. This is used when updating the Cill Healing list, f'ex.

Honestly, it is a much simpler technology to use (especially for formatting) and worth checking out, if only because of the rules at TC which prohibit post editing past 10 minutes.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 05:06:01 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;159805
It's worth pointing out that each Wiki page has it's own discussion page as well, and when people post in said discussion page, it gives everyone a notification for it in the "What's New?" tab at the top of the forum. This is used when updating the Cill Healing list, f'ex.

Honestly, it is a much simpler technology to use (especially for formatting) and worth checking out, if only because of the rules at TC which prohibit post editing past 10 minutes.

Plus, everyone can edit the wiki pages, which is nice and democratic.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Tags: