Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Author Topic: Judge rules FLDS man doesn't have to answer questions because of Hobby Lobby ruling  (Read 2682 times)

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: carillion;159600
Ahh, I see. Thank you. I guess I was thrown as the opening post referenced the 'Hobby Lobby' ruling which I thought was a new amendment.

In which case, I don't see the problem. It protects freedom of religion but doesn't allow it to trump statutes that protect people from harm . At least behaviorally.

And while I can see the mindset of people wanting to understand a belief system so as to be able to act prophylactically, I also know this can be used simply to intimidate.

Hobby Lobby was just the latest Supreme Court ruling on the RFRA.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: mlr52;159508
My understanding is were the children engaged in illegal work.  If so was it at the church's order, or members of the church acting as church representatives or as individuals (who are using RFRA to cover themselves)?  If the work is part of the religious practice, that is covered by the RFRA.

The work Might be covered by RFRA if the FLDS can prove that such work is part of their sincerely held religious beliefs And that such beliefs are more important than the government stopping such work.  Neither point has been raised as an RFRA claim by either side, at least not yet.

Steed only refuses to talk about the how the church is run since per the news reports he has no direct knowledge of who told the kids to work.

Skyth

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: sailor;159623

Steed only refuses to talk about the how the church is run since per the news reports he has no direct knowledge of who told the kids to work.

Well, knowledge of how the church is run would lead to who told the kids to work, and there is a compelling government interest in children not being used as slave labor.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Quote from: mlr52;159383
How the Hobby Lobby ruling is helping a member of Warren Jeffs’ polygamous church

More than a bit scary.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Skyth;159730
Well, knowledge of how the church is run would lead to who told the kids to work, and there is a compelling government interest in children not being used as slave labor.

Would it?  They already have the names of the people who run the company that was using the kids and had the contract to run the ranch.

Tags: