Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses  (Read 12122 times)

MarsPrincess

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
I am looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics and/or Doctor of Divinity online courses or correspondence package courses. Anyone has any ideas?

I saw some from Universal Life Church Seminary website and was tempted to get into it but I saw that ULC is not accredited in their courses. There's even an honorary Dr of Divinity (D.D.) one can purchase under $40.

Some information from ULC said that within the past 10 years, there had been some internal split in the Universal Life Church due to unsavoury people in their organization and affiliated organizations. The online wiki stated that the legal courts settled the matters.

One thing I like is that in ULC Seminary, the doctorate courses are standalone. I won't need to get a BA, Masters Degree then Doctorate. Basically I am low on cash so cheap standalone doctorate non secular spiritual courses would really matter to me and serve to help me on my spiritual path.

ULC Seminary also has Wiccan/Pagan references as well as many references to worldwide different religions.

Has any Cauldronites found nice spiritual courses that are recognized and cheap and useful for higher learnings?

I'd really love to have a Dr. in front of my name. Don't know why, it feels like it's got a good kick for me hehe.

Other than that, I'm just needing to upgrade myself in paper and spiritual qualifications as I often dropped out of face to face normal school back in my late teens and 20s due to various health problems. Self paced courses are the best for me.

Not to mention, I'd have better learnings and a Dr. in front of my name to write about spirituality in books and self publish them on Amazon hopefully. Something to strike off my to-do list: Write spiritual books. Createspace.com and Lulu.com and BookBaby.com seems like good places. Createspace is owned by Amazon.com, Lulu is competitor to Createspace and BookBaby is mostly about self publishing ebooks everywhere on the internet.

For ULC Seminary, there were courses listed like Doctor of Spiritual Development, Doctor of Spiritual Awareness, Doctor of Metaphysics, Doctor of Divinity, etc.

Thanks in advance to everyone for your input. Maybe some fellow Cauldronites may have wondered about cheap and good spiritual courses too.

---MarsPrincess :)

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Quote from: MarsPrincess;159368

You're not going to get cheap AND accredited.  ULC specifically says their stuff doesn't mean a damn thing - it's the idea that there should be no organization limiting who can and cannot get certified.

If you want honestly meaningful, you're going to need to do the work.  And while there may be accredited programs that accept people without a bachelor's degree, I've never heard of any.

MarsPrincess

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: HeartShadow;159373
You're not going to get cheap AND accredited.  ULC specifically says their stuff doesn't mean a damn thing - it's the idea that there should be no organization limiting who can and cannot get certified.

If you want honestly meaningful, you're going to need to do the work.  And while there may be accredited programs that accept people without a bachelor's degree, I've never heard of any.

Hi HeartShadow,

I apologize if I came across as lazy. I meant more like from a BA to doctorate there's 3 levels. Each level usually costs anywhere from a few thousand dollars to maybe $15000 for tuition fees. I wouldn't mind doing the work if it all cost a little more affordable.

Thanks for your input :)

MarsPrincess

• Apprentice
    • View Profile

Sorry, forgot to mention something. The doctorate degrees ULC Seminary provides is all under $100 to $200 dollars for 5 month studies. I guess maybe that's why people consider it non believable?

My budget would be just a few hundred dollars per course. I think Sedona University charges around a few thousand for BA alone.

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com

I know of three seminaries (USA, two in New York City, one in NJ) that will enroll people without the bachelor's degree, but to graduate you need to obtain a masters degree with them, which does require a bachelors.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

MarsPrincess

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: mlr52;159393
I know of three seminaries (USA, two in New York City, one in NJ) that will enroll people without the bachelor's degree, but to graduate you need to obtain a masters degree with them, which does require a bachelors.

Hi mlr52,

Are these seminaries more spiritual types or more Christian types?

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Quote from: MarsPrincess;159394
Hi mlr52,

Are these seminaries more spiritual types or more Christian types?

They have a Christian origin, but do not ordain anyone.  I was looking at becoming a Chaplain, which you do not need to be ordained to be (that would be done by my Congregation).  However their degrees are accepted by the Unitarian Universalism Ministerial Fellowship Credentialing Committee (lots of perks being a member there.)    

Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York was founded as a Presbyterian seminary in 1836 and established in lower Manhattan. In 1892, the Seminary became non-denominational, and continues as the oldest independent, non-denominational seminary in the U.S. - See more at: http://www.utsnyc.edu/about/union-theological-seminary-at-a-glance#sthash.O0lG3Wf9.dpuf

New York Theological Seminary (NYTS) was founded in 1900 by Wilbert Webster White as the Bible Teacher’s College in Montclair.

New Brunswick Theological Seminary is a teaching institution of the Reformed Church in America, the Seminary considers it a privilege and a responsibility to train persons from many other denominations for ministry.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: MarsPrincess;159368
I am looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics and/or Doctor of Divinity online courses or correspondence package courses. Anyone has any ideas?

Not to mention, I'd have better learnings and a Dr. in front of my name to write about spirituality in books and self publish them on Amazon hopefully. Something to strike off my to-do list: Write spiritual books. Createspace.com and Lulu.com and BookBaby.com seems like good places. Createspace is owned by Amazon.com, Lulu is competitor to Createspace and BookBaby is mostly about self publishing ebooks everywhere on the internet.

---MarsPrincess :)

First, you don't need any kind of degree to write - the catch is getting something published. But if you are going to self-publsh that's not a problem.

The term 'recognized' has a very specific value in acedemia. It basically means the person holding the degree is recogonized *as an authority in their field*. And whatever that field may be, it takes a lot of work and learning to get to that point. Indeed, even when you get your degree, you will always be reaching higher . In my experience, the longer one spends studying an area, the less they feel they know: there is *so* much to learn.
Everyone knows everything in their first year:), it takes a few more years to correct that assumption.

I always advise people to only decide on such a course of learning if they are truly passionate about it. That's the only thing that will get you through. I spent 8 years on my doctorate ( the research could not be hurried) and paid my own way so I didn't have a student loan over my head. (It's easier when you get to graduate school as at least here there is support in place for graduate students).

But it's a long , hard slog and only loving your area will get you through.

As for wanting a 'Dr.' in front of your name, only those in medicine get that. The convention otherwise is to have it after your name and it can only be used within the university or one's place of work.The reason for this is simple : You reserve a table at a restaurant using 'Dr.' and someone has a medical emergency at the next table - everyone is looking to you (Doctor) to give aid to the victim. If your doctorate is in philosophy, all you can do is ask them questions about their feelings on mortality while you wait for the ambulance.:eek:

When not in the places designated for you to use your title, you are joe shmo like everyone else.

You do this for the journey, not for what might come *after* the journey. So think hard and long on this before you begin.And remember that having a 'cheap' diploma mill degree will make you look less authoratative, not more.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 02:36:27 pm by carillion »

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: carillion;159402

As for wanting a 'Dr.' in front of your name, only those in medicine get that. The convention otherwise is to have it after your name and it can only be used within the university or one's place of work.The reason for this is simple : You reserve a table at a restaurant using 'Dr.' and someone has a medical emergency at the next table - everyone is looking to you (Doctor) to give aid to the victim. If your doctorate is in philosophy, all you can do is ask them questions about their feelings on mortality while you wait for the ambulance.:eek:

When not in the places designated for you to use your title, you are joe shmo like everyone else.

Seems like this depends where you are, In the UK if you have a PHD you usually use Dr as a title for everything
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Jake_;159404
Seems like this depends where you are, In the UK if you have a PHD you usually use Dr as a title for everything

From my time working in the U.K. I would say it also depends where you work and the type of person you are. The same caveat about booking something using 'Dr'. applies, though. People who did that were more or less considered pretentious fools in the groups I hung out with.
Things seem to be changing a bit ( I was last there a couple of years ago) as the 'snob' appeal is starting get replaced with common sense. It used to be also (and may be still in some places) connected with 'class' . That *really* made me want to speak in the thickest Dagenham accent:)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:18:16 pm by carillion »

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 03:20:07 pm »
Quote from: carillion;159407
From my time working in the U.K. I would say it also depends where you work and the type of person you are. The same caveat about booking something using 'Dr'. applies, though. People who did that were more or less considered pretentious fools in the groups I hung out with.
Things seem to be changing a bit ( I was last there a couple of years ago) as the 'snob' appeal is starting get replaced with common sense. It used to be also (and may be still in some places) connected with 'class' . That *really* made me want to speak in the thickest Dagenham accent:)

of course you  would know more about how this works than someone who actually lives here
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for cheap recognized Doctor of Metaphysics or Divinity online courses
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 03:22:34 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;159408
of course you  would know more about how this works than someone who actually lives here

I am speaking from the perspective of living and *working in my area* there. That will be different for different people. And as I said, it depends on where you are , who you are with and what you are doing.

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 03:26:51 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;159408

Though I will add that consultants drop the 'Dr' bit.

By the way, did you write this to indicate things have changed there?

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 03:34:07 pm »
Quote from: carillion;159410
Though I will add that consultants drop the 'Dr' bit.

By the way, did you write this to indicate things have changed there?

Well seeing as I don't know when you were here, or what you were doing I can't tell you.

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 03:41:59 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;159411
Well seeing as I don't know when you were here, or what you were doing I can't tell you.

I did say I was last there about 2 years ago - actually 2 and half years ago. I was doing research and treating patients in a hospital and in an out-clinic. That doesn't change my experience as I wrote about it.

If you have information on this I'd be very interested to know and I assume you do or your remark wouldn't make any sense but just seem an idle 'dig':)

Tags: