collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: How do you actually Begin practicing witchcraft?  (Read 2153 times)

Rya81

• View Profile
How do you actually Begin practicing witchcraft?
« on: September 19, 2014, 12:41:35 am »
I know this may seem like such a stupid question, but I seriously do not know. How do I actually begin to start practicing witchcraft? Are there certain spells or rituals that beginning witches can do? I just want to be able to work my way up because I have no clue where to start. I really have felt so negative lately. I have been out of work a while. I have been having a very hard time with life, and I really need to be able to turn it around. I know that I am a witch, from my bloodline and my beliefs, I just don't know how to actually practice it. Any advice will be appreciated. I'm sorry if I sound really ridiculous, I just really need help. I feel really confused.

Blessed Be

Siona

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://hearthandhedge.blogspot.com/
Re: How do you actually Begin practicing witchcraft?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 01:20:03 am »
Quote from: Rya81;159320
I know this may seem like such a stupid question, but I seriously do not know. How do I actually begin to start practicing witchcraft?

I think this depends a bit on what you consider witchcraft to be/the sort of witchcraft you're looking to practice. Some are only interested in working spells and such, and for others it contains more spiritual elements, or following the natural cycles, or other things. It really depends on what sort of things you want to do, what interests you, what do you hope to get from your practice? :)

But, speaking generally, there are a few things that are helpful to begin with. You might want to look into learning to ground and center, learn to shield, as well as looking at things like visualization and meditation. Looking at some basic cleansing spells/rituals (for yourself, your tools if you use them, your home), the ideas behind them, etc, can also be a good place to start.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 03:47:38 am »
I know this may seem like such a stupid question, but I seriously do not know. How do I actually begin to start practicing witchcraft? Are there certain spells or rituals that beginning witches can do?

I just want to be able to work my way up because I have no clue where to start. I really have felt so negative lately. I have been out of work a while. I have been having a very hard time with life, and I really need to be able to turn it around. I know that I am a witch, from my bloodline and my beliefs, I just don't know how to actually practice it. Any advice will be appreciated. I'm sorry if I sound really ridiculous, I just really need help. I feel really confused.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time. If you turn to witchcraft at this point in time, though, it might not as help as much as you expect it to. While it can depend on the tradition, I do like this tutorial because the exercises are very Socratically ironic.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 05:45:22 am »
Quote from: Faemon;159335
I'm so sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time. If you turn to witchcraft at this point in time, though, it might not as help as much as you expect it to. While it can depend on the tradition, I do like this tutorial because the exercises are very Socratically ironic.

I love that website; it really helped me to get practicing. There's also a forum at http://www.traditionalwitch.net which has a lot of info. It is a non-wiccan site.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 09:15:41 am »
I know this may seem like such a stupid question, but I seriously do not know. How do I actually begin to start practicing witchcraft? Are there certain spells or rituals that beginning witches can do? I just want to be able to work my way up because I have no clue where to start. I really have felt so negative lately. I have been out of work a while. I have been having a very hard time with life, and I really need to be able to turn it around. I know that I am a witch, from my bloodline and my beliefs, I just don't know how to actually practice it. Any advice will be appreciated. I'm sorry if I sound really ridiculous, I just really need help. I feel really confused.

I believe that witchcraft is a practice, not a general state of being.

Until that point, someone may be interested in witchcraft, but that's different than sitting down and doing it. (Sort of like how there are people who say "I'm an author!" but if they don't sit down and actually write things, just talk about writing, they're not really authors yet, y'know?)

The good news is that a) this is a stage pretty much everyone has to get through, and b) it means you have a lot of control and choice in how you proceed.

In my training, we spent more than a year learning the basics: we started with learning to be aware of and manage our own energy (because this is crucial for doing some kinds of magical work, and important for doing some kinds of transformative religious work, and especially around other people.) From there, we started doing some simple kinds of magical work, and then worked our way up to more complicated ones, often breaking things down into pieces.  

My website has a few ideas listed (see http://gleewood.org/seeking/practices/first-year-of-practice/ and http://gleewood.org/seeking/practices/a-possible-dedicant-year/ - the latter is how I'd teach a student during that first year.)

In your case, I'd suggest beginning with basic centering, grounding, and shielding techniques (more on my website under the Practices section, if you want more ideas) and then begin working on things like cleansing and protecting your living space.

My training had us break down creating a circle into pieces, and spend a month or so working on each piece (and how to undo it, when that's relevant) before moving onto the next, so we started with blessing (adding desired energy to a space), then banishing (removing unwanted energy), then how to cast and uncast a circle, then pieces of inviting other beings (guardians of the quarters, ancestors, deities) to join us, and then various different kinds of magic.

Your breakdown might be different, but that model is a good way to learn pieces in smaller chunks and make sure you know one skill before you throw yourself at more of them. (For example, for people who don't work in a circle, learning how to affect the energy of a space is still a good starting practice, and then different kinds of magical work.)

One of the other things about magic is that just like writing or cooking or making music, chances are some methods are going to work better for you than others. One of the reasons for trying a bunch of different methods is to figure out which those are, but trying them out in ways where you can see if they're effective, but it's not a huge problem if they don't work well (so, trying one method at a time, not half a dozen, trying with things where you might see some kind of meaningful change.)

My usual go-tos for magic are adjusting energy (of myself or space) to make things more or less likely, magic using fiber (spinning intention into yarn, using knot magic to bind or release things), and some kinds of candle magic but not others (I tend to do much better with long-term candle magic rather than short term), and I tend to do best when I work music into what I'm doing in varying forms.

Someone else might be great at herbal magic, or doing things with stones, or using runes (which are all things I know something about, but are not my go-to methods) and maybe they can't carry a tune in a bucket or they just don't care for music.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 03:24:18 am »
Quote from: Jenett;159355
I believe that witchcraft is a practice, not a general state of being.

Until that point, someone may be interested in witchcraft, but that's different than sitting down and doing it. (Sort of like how there are people who say "I'm an author!" but if they don't sit down and actually write things, just talk about writing, they're not really authors yet, y'know?)

The good news is that a) this is a stage pretty much everyone has to get through, and b) it means you have a lot of control and choice in how you proceed.

In my training, we spent more than a year learning the basics: we started with learning to be aware of and manage our own energy (because this is crucial for doing some kinds of magical work, and important for doing some kinds of transformative religious work, and especially around other people.) From there, we started doing some simple kinds of magical work, and then worked our way up to more complicated ones, often breaking things down into pieces.  

My website has a few ideas listed (see http://gleewood.org/seeking/practices/first-year-of-practice/ and http://gleewood.org/seeking/practices/a-possible-dedicant-year/ - the latter is how I'd teach a student during that first year.)

In your case, I'd suggest beginning with basic centering, grounding, and shielding techniques (more on my website under the Practices section, if you want more ideas) and then begin working on things like cleansing and protecting your living space.

My training had us break down creating a circle into pieces, and spend a month or so working on each piece (and how to undo it, when that's relevant) before moving onto the next, so we started with blessing (adding desired energy to a space), then banishing (removing unwanted energy), then how to cast and uncast a circle, then pieces of inviting other beings (guardians of the quarters, ancestors, deities) to join us, and then various different kinds of magic.

Your breakdown might be different, but that model is a good way to learn pieces in smaller chunks and make sure you know one skill before you throw yourself at more of them. (For example, for people who don't work in a circle, learning how to affect the energy of a space is still a good starting practice, and then different kinds of magical work.)

One of the other things about magic is that just like writing or cooking or making music, chances are some methods are going to work better for you than others. One of the reasons for trying a bunch of different methods is to figure out which those are, but trying them out in ways where you can see if they're effective, but it's not a huge problem if they don't work well (so, trying one method at a time, not half a dozen, trying with things where you might see some kind of meaningful change.)

My usual go-tos for magic are adjusting energy (of myself or space) to make things more or less likely, magic using fiber (spinning intention into yarn, using knot magic to bind or release things), and some kinds of candle magic but not others (I tend to do much better with long-term candle magic rather than short term), and I tend to do best when I work music into what I'm doing in varying forms.

Someone else might be great at herbal magic, or doing things with stones, or using runes (which are all things I know something about, but are not my go-to methods) and maybe they can't carry a tune in a bucket or they just don't care for music.

Jenett, you're a gem.
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Rya81

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 09:35:42 pm »
Quote from: EJay;160096
Jenett, you're a gem.

You all are wonderful! It made me feel great to see all the kind responses, and not one single one that made me look dumb. I felt really strange asking this question, but I really wanted to know. I appreciate all the insight, and also the website. Each one of you gave me some awesome stuff to read and learn. I am ever so grateful. :)

One comment was asking if I was turning to witchcraft in a down time. That is not the case. I have definitely read up on it, and been around many witches myself, and I just feel so much more at peace with witchcraft than anything else I have studied or known. It was just very hard for me to practice it living where I was, with my family. They went to the extent of trying to get my children taken away(Ludacris , I know) because of a few pagan posters I had put up a few years ago. I had one of them actually call DCF and have them do a home inspection. Of course, they found nothing, and told me that I have the right to practice anything I believe, and be anyone I want, as long as I do no harm to my children. And I would never.

Now, I am in a different state, far away from all that, and have the freedom and ability to search out and learn what I want. It is just a blessing finding this forum. I surely will be here often.

Thank you again!

Blessed Be,
Rya

Sol Invictus

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 04:46:29 pm »

Blessed Be

I have researched Witchcraft much, but I am not a Wiccan so I can't give much reference to that. But here is a link to a website about Traditional Witchcraft.

http://traditionalwitchcraftandoccultism.wordpress.com/

Traditional Witchcraft is supposed to be non-Wiccan and not entirely a religion. Witchcraft in its primal definition, is a set of practices rather than an organized religion. It is definitely pagan, but you choose which culture to draw upon your deities.

The rites center around old folk practices. Divination, agrarian connection, invocation, etc. Many people draw these practices from Celtic Paganism, although there are other influences. Norse Shamanism can also be considered "Witchcraft". The Runes are old and folkish and have many deep meanings that must be learned to suit oneself witht, their practice.

Traditional WItchcraft can be considered "Folk Occult". It is much more hidden, esoteric and mystic. Practice is supposed to be secretive, coveted learned knowledge that should be kept personal.

This is just my 2 cents thought. Good luck

Siannan13

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • la-grotte-sacree
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 05:58:09 am »
How do I actually begin to start practicing witchcraft?

I started by looking at seasons, and doing seasonal activities (walking in the forest, cooking seasonal meals, art craft...). Then I read The Spiral dance and began Starhawk's exercices. I found them very useful, and recommand to anyone strating to practise.

Tags: