Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Meditation Bowls  (Read 1087 times)

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Meditation Bowls
« on: September 18, 2014, 11:48:39 pm »
A little back story first. I've been researching religions for a number of years and have patched together something that fits my beliefs just about perfectly. When people ask I call it Patchwork Neo-Wicca, a following of anywhere from just me to thousands. I've only recently set up my first altar and began sitting with it talking to the gods or just listening to see if maybe they'll say something to me. These daily devotions have become like two or three minute meditations and they are helping immensely with my anxiety issues, which is great me being in a high stress program in college and all, little to no reply was not of much concern to me. I don't ask for things, or demand action on their part for my issues, I just sit and talk my little heart out. It is just nice to sit and know that if I need to talk They (all the aspects of the Whole) are there and can hear me.

Anyways! I wandered into Green Earth recently and my eye was caught by a display of bowls (of assorted metals, sizes and designs) each paired with a wooden spool. When I picked one up a delightful sales lady came up to me and asked if I knew what it was. Of course I said no, I'd never seen one of these in my life. So she picked up the biggest bowl in the display and ran the spool around the outside rim of it, producing the most beautiful ringing sound.

BANG! First contact from a deity. With the ringing filling my ears most of my everyday thoughts just up and *poof* disappeared. In that absence of thought there was a sudden knowledge that this was something I need in my "toybox" (as mum calls it). I don't know how to put the fact that I knew the knowledge came not from me but as a sort of gentle push from somewhere else without sounding totally kooky so I'll just out and say it. It was like I was a toddler led to a "Eureka!" moment by a trusted adult.

As much as I dislike the word "worship" in relation to gods and goddesses (I think they as a group are broken down and humanized aspects of a Whole, given names and stories so we can better understand their actions, therefore they are quite on our level in my mind. I digress), I was wondering if anyone has used a tool like these meditation bowls to try making contact or worshiping their deities? If so, how did you find the experience or was there an experience at all? Did you use a bowl like I described or did you use a different tool or instrument to achieve your goals? Were you trying to make contact at all or were you instead trying to achieve some other goal using a tool like this?

Note: I'm not so much looking for advice on anything as I am looking for the experiences of others so please, share away. And thank you all in advance. :) ~LadyBug

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Re: Meditation Bowls
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 06:40:58 am »
Quote from: LadyBug;159314
A little back story first. I've been researching religions for a number of years and have patched together something that fits my beliefs just about perfectly. When people ask I call it Patchwork Neo-Wicca, a following of anywhere from just me to thousands. I've only recently set up my first altar and began sitting with it talking to the gods or just listening to see if maybe they'll say something to me. These daily devotions have become like two or three minute meditations and they are helping immensely with my anxiety issues, which is great me being in a high stress program in college and all, little to no reply was not of much concern to me. I don't ask for things, or demand action on their part for my issues, I just sit and talk my little heart out. It is just nice to sit and know that if I need to talk They (all the aspects of the Whole) are there and can hear me.

Anyways! I wandered into Green Earth recently and my eye was caught by a display of bowls (of assorted metals, sizes and designs) each paired with a wooden spool. When I picked one up a delightful sales lady came up to me and asked if I knew what it was. Of course I said no, I'd never seen one of these in my life. So she picked up the biggest bowl in the display and ran the spool around the outside rim of it, producing the most beautiful ringing sound.

BANG! First contact from a deity. With the ringing filling my ears most of my everyday thoughts just up and *poof* disappeared. In that absence of thought there was a sudden knowledge that this was something I need in my "toybox" (as mum calls it). I don't know how to put the fact that I knew the knowledge came not from me but as a sort of gentle push from somewhere else without sounding totally kooky so I'll just out and say it. It was like I was a toddler led to a "Eureka!" moment by a trusted adult.

As much as I dislike the word "worship" in relation to gods and goddesses (I think they as a group are broken down and humanized aspects of a Whole, given names and stories so we can better understand their actions, therefore they are quite on our level in my mind. I digress), I was wondering if anyone has used a tool like these meditation bowls to try making contact or worshiping their deities? If so, how did you find the experience or was there an experience at all? Did you use a bowl like I described or did you use a different tool or instrument to achieve your goals? Were you trying to make contact at all or were you instead trying to achieve some other goal using a tool like this?

Note: I'm not so much looking for advice on anything as I am looking for the experiences of others so please, share away. And thank you all in advance. :) ~LadyBug

My witchy friend/mentor has one. They're called Tibetan singing bowls. It's a lovely sound, and she uses it to bring peace to a room/area. She runs a daycare in her basement (it's not creepy, I promise), and at the end of each day she walks around, first tapping the edge like a bell, then circling the rim.

When I first moved into my new apartment, I'd asked if I could use it to clear the serious bad juju left from the former tenants. She said it's not a cleansing tool in that sense. She explained it to me, but I honestly don't remember.

They're absolutely beautiful, and I would love to have one. But with my budget of 5 bucks until I can find a job, I can't exactly afford anything slightly witchy or pagan.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 06:09:55 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;159344

When I first moved into my new apartment, I'd asked if I could use it to clear the serious bad juju left from the former tenants. She said it's not a cleansing tool in that sense. She explained it to me, but I honestly don't remember.

They're absolutely beautiful, and I would love to have one. But with my budget of 5 bucks until I can find a job, I can't exactly afford anything slightly witchy or pagan.

The lady I talked to said they are used to clear the mind, and the sound they make really does that. Its hard to think about anything but the ringing if you can even call that thinking.

The one I priced was just under $100, but I totally think its worth the money. I'm thinking of using my Halloween budget for it (which is a big deal for me Halloween is my thing).

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 11:46:44 pm »
Quote from: LadyBug;159435
The lady I talked to said they are used to clear the mind, and the sound they make really does that. Its hard to think about anything but the ringing if you can even call that thinking.

The one I priced was just under $100, but I totally think its worth the money. I'm thinking of using my Halloween budget for it (which is a big deal for me Halloween is my thing).

I gave my husband a singing bowl several years ago. His is metal -- brass, I think.  But I've also used the glass ones, and I like their tones even more. So clear.

My understanding is that, like any other tool, it can be used however you wish. If you want to use it for cleansing, why not?

I would suggest, though, that you do some shopping before dropping $100 on one.  I haven't looked in a while, but I know I've seen them online for significantly less.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Siona

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://hearthandhedge.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 11:48:32 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;159344

I don't know if it's a traditional or common use for a singing bowl, but I have actually used one to cleanse a space like that. I enjoy cleansing with sound, so it's something I experimented with a fair bit, tried out lots of different things, and really enjoy using the singing bowl for that.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 11:57:29 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;159472
I would suggest, though, that you do some shopping before dropping $100 on one.  I haven't looked in a while, but I know I've seen them online for significantly less.

Just wanted to add that I just did a quick search out of curiosity. The search term "singing bowl" got plenty of hits, including a number of sites that sell them. There is a wide variety of prices, depending on size and material, but you can definitely find them for a lot less than $100 (and a lot more, too).

Even Amazon sells them.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 02:06:26 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;159474
Just wanted to add that I just did a quick search out of curiosity. The search term "singing bowl" got plenty of hits, including a number of sites that sell them. There is a wide variety of prices, depending on size and material, but you can definitely find them for a lot less than $100 (and a lot more, too).

Even Amazon sells them.

You can buy *groceries* on amazon now:p

As for the singing bowls, the first time I heard them I thought my ears would start to bleed. Definitly only for some people. If spirits hear in the same ranges I do, I think it would clean them out for sure!:)

*wonders if she is an evil spirit*
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:06:55 am by carillion »

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 01:36:49 pm »
Quote from: Siona;159473
I don't know if it's a traditional or common use for a singing bowl, but I have actually used one to cleanse a space like that. I enjoy cleansing with sound, so it's something I experimented with a fair bit, tried out lots of different things, and really enjoy using the singing bowl for that.

I've heard of them being used for that, though I'm not sure where from.

I want either a singing bowl or chimes so badly though, so I'm sure I'll be reading more into it and maybe find the source on that.

Tags: