Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Games: Pottermore  (Read 3610 times)

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Pottermore
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:15:41 pm »
Hello hello hello! I was wondering if I've got any fellow Students-Of-Hogwarts on the forum with me.

If so, what do you think of the site? What House are you in? What sort of wand do you have? How goes your exploration of the story moments? And, most importantly to me at this moment, have you been able to successfully cast a spell above say 136 points of efficiency? I'm so stuck on that, I know its all timing but I guess my timing sucks!

~LadyBug
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:47:37 am by RandallS »

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
Re: Pottermore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:36:46 pm »
Quote from: LadyBug;159289
Hello hello hello! I was wondering if I've got any fellow Students-Of-Hogwarts on the forum with me.

If so, what do you think of the site? What House are you in? What sort of wand do you have? How goes your exploration of the story moments? And, most importantly to me at this moment, have you been able to successfully cast a spell above say 136 points of efficiency? I'm so stuck on that, I know its all timing but I guess my timing sucks!

~LadyBug

It's an okay site. I do enjoy finding out all the extra little bits of information and getting a bit of a glimpse inside the author's head, but it's not a website I spend a lot of time on outside of reading that kind of stuff. I got frustrated with the spell casting and while I finally figured out potion making, it kinda is still hard with a touch pad.

I do sometimes go on there to collect items though. It's a really kinda neat search and find game.

But yes, I'm a Slytherin and my wand is 12 1/4 inches, Fir, Phoenix Feather, and Slightly Springy.

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 08:52:03 pm »

~LadyBug

The extra material is interesting, but I admit I haven't been on it for a while. I just kind of lost interest because it wasn't that thrilling. The artwork is beautiful, and I like the backstory for characters like Professor McGonagall. I was sorted into Slytherin house, and I appreciated the welcome message, which was informative about the house and gave me pride in my Slytherin identity lol. I haven't been able to do any spells or potions effectively, so I gave up :p

PS - I love Lake Huron, especially Sauble Beach and Southampton :)

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 09:17:03 pm »

~LadyBug

It's pretty much unplayable in a lot of parts on a laptop without a proper mouse, but the info is pretty cool.  I haven't logged on in ages, but got sorted into Ravenclaw.  Wand, if I remember right, is 14 1/2 inches, pine, unicorn hair, and unyielding.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 09:34:25 pm »

~LadyBug

Another Slytherin, here!

I'm on a tablet, and found the whole bloody thing a pain to work with, but the sorting was nice.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 11:15:05 pm »
Its really neat that I managed to meet three other Slytherins on here and only one in real life... I think it speaks to TC itself (we are all destined for greatness! :p ).

Quote from: Tom;159290
It's an okay site. I do enjoy finding out all the extra little bits of information and getting a bit of a glimpse inside the author's head, but it's not a website I spend a lot of time on outside of reading that kind of stuff. *snip*
But yes, I'm a Slytherin and my wand is 12 1/4 inches, Fir, Phoenix Feather, and Slightly Springy.

It is really neat to get inside the author's head a bit and to see the rest of the wizarding world she created aside from the main story line.

Quote from: Nyktelios;159292
The extra material is interesting, but I admit I haven't been on it for a while. I just kind of lost interest because it wasn't that thrilling. The artwork is beautiful, and I like the backstory for characters like Professor McGonagall. I was sorted into Slytherin house, and I appreciated the welcome message, which was informative about the house and gave me pride in my Slytherin identity lol. I haven't been able to do any spells or potions effectively, so I gave up :p

I'm having trouble with spells but potions seem to come naturally to me, even the waiting bit. Honestly I keep coming back because I love the artwork, whether or not the site itself is thrilling doesn't seem to bug me, it's a time waster though.

Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;159297
Another Slytherin, here!

I'm on a tablet, and found the whole bloody thing a pain to work with, but the sorting was nice.

I hadn't thought to try the site on my touch device to be honest.

Personally I love that they assign House and wand with personality quizzes and that they explain the choices in detail. My wand is 12 3/4 inches, Hornbeam wood, Dragon heart string core pliant and after reading into all the aspects of it I found it suited me really well.

Quote from: Nyktelios;159292
PS - I love Lake Huron, especially Sauble Beach and Southampton :)

I do too! I've always thought of her as "My Lake", I doubt I'll ever stop. I've never been to either of those places (I know, shame shame), I plan on changing that as soon as I get myself my g2 and a car though. Alas! I digress from the original topic!

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 03:12:04 am »

~LadyBug

Oh yeah, that thing. I honestly forgot it existed until I got an email recently about the house cup.

Slytherin. No idea what kind of wand I have. Am currently going though old chapters and trying to fill up the little completion bar at the bottom of each one fully. Have not been that successful, as apparently there are INVISIBLE THINGS and also it keeps freezing my laptop.

Might have to wait until I'm back on the desktop to try again. Pottermore does not play nicely with my poor Macbook.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 03:35:21 am »

If so, what do you think of the site? What House are you in? What sort of wand do you have?

I'm in Slytherin (aw yeah), and my wand is yew with a phoenix feather core, ten inches, and 'surprisingly swishy'. (Which, knowing me, is hardly a surprise.) I haven't explored beyond that, partially cause...that's what I care about when it comes to Pottermore. I was pleased I got sorted into my proper house though.

Aranel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 03:10:23 pm »

~LadyBug

Technically I have accounts in all 4 houses. It was back at the beta sign up and I managed to be there to find the magical quill and answer the riddle. But my confirmation email didn't come through so I kept making more accounts thinking it hadn't worked.
When I checked my emails the next day, they'd all worked. I knew from tumblr that each house had a load of new stuff written (well apart from Gryffindor) so I made an account for all four houses so I could read all the new stuff.

The other 12 accounts (I think, I made lots of new email accounts) I gave away to friends on Facebook and another forum who hadn't managed to get a beta account. (I did offer the three accounts that had already been sorted but nobody else wanted an account)

But the main account I use is the first one I logged into and it's Hufflepuff. It's also the one that had the best username. Can't remember what my wand is.

I haven't been on it for ages. I'm still on CoS and I have tried so many times to make the polyjuice potion but the second part of brewing was really glitchy so I could never brew it.

I was good at all the other potions and okish at spells. The trick is to practise, practise and practise some more against your own house. Then instead of challenging other houses from the spells page, go into the great hall and look for new members who've commenting that they've just been sorted and challenge them. Not all will accept but those that do generally haven't got a clue what they're doing so you'll win. It's mean, but it's an easy way to get house points through spells.
If you're going to challenge other houses through the spells page, check the house cup standings first. So as I'm in Hufflepuff, as we tended to be bottom all the time (at least when I was on there), I would never challenge the house that was in third position because it would just mean more points for them to get a greater lead over us. Instead I'd pick the houses that was first or second. So if your house is fourth, challenge the houses that are first and second. If your house is third, only challenge the house that is currently first. If your house is second, only challenge the fourth house. If your house is first, challenge third and fourth. Basically don't challenge the houses that your house is next to in the standings because you'll be giving your main competitors easy house points if you lose.

As for the site, when I was on it I struggled so much because I was using a laptop with a trackpad. Really not easy, especially for that gnomes thing. Took me days to get past that and on to the next chapter. That, plus not being able to brew polyjuice because it was so damn glitchy, completely sapped my enthusiasm for the site.
I do want to go back on it, and I've now got a wireless mouse, but it takes a lot of effort (my laptop is glacial) to get to any new content.

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 238
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal