Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Magical/energetic properties of fabrics and fibers  (Read 6112 times)

Daecon

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Magical/energetic properties of fabrics and fibers
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 06:17:41 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;160307
The fact that they aren't natural products and don't retain the properties of the plants or animals they came from is part of what I find useful in my work. I view them as kind of a neutral backdrop for whatever I'm working on. I also find the durability useful if it's something I'm going to want around for a while.

A good point.  I keep my mineral samples for crystal magic in a compartmented plastic box for the same reason.  The plastic insulates the stones from each other and prevents contamination of their energies.

Earthworm

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 12:38:38 pm »
Quote from: random417;160609
I was taught that silk is an insulator. It doesn't hold a charge itself well, but it creates a barrier sealing in what you wrap in it and keeping outside influences out. I never really liked it anyway, so I've not tried that out myself, it's just what I was taught

This is useful information to have. I always thought you were supposed to wrap tools in silk because silk is "special" and it was somehow showing respect. :)

The only reason I'm particular about my fabrics is because I usually know the shape and feel I want from my charm bags/poppets. If I want the bag to fall in this particular way when embroidered with X and filled with X, I just choose the fabric that will fall best that way/be the most conducive to a particular cut.

I'm pretty much completely concerned with aesthetics rather than the magical property of the fabric. Because sewing easily becomes a magical act for me, I usually put more stock in the type of work I do on the item than anything else. (Example: am I turning it twice, rolled hemming, or blanket stitching the edge? Each option has its own kind of feel to me and carries its own meanings.) The same goes for different types of embroidery and the nuances they add to an item.

So I guess for me it's the way I work with the fabric that has specific energetic properties, rather than the fabric itself.
"A driving thirst for knowledge is the forerunner of wisdom." -Robert Cochrane

WizardryWisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 10:43:26 am »
Quote from: beachglass;158785
I've been musing on fabric since reading Jenett's post in the button bag thread.

I think it's pretty commonly held that fibers like cotton and wool are more energetically "conductive," and silk is more "insulating"? But when I go to the fabric or yarn shop, there are many, many more fibers to choose from.

Rayon, for example, can be made all kinds of things. Would rayon from bamboo retain some of the magical properties of bamboo, even after the manufacturing process? Would it be different from pine rayon?

There are also fibers derived from milk, sugar, soybeans, seaweed, etc.

And while petroleum fibers get a bad rap (not without reason), one advantage they have is that they can be dyed to almost any conceivable color. So if you really want that bright orange, an acrylic might be your best choice. Not to mention usually much more easily obtained on a budget.

What are your thoughts and experiences with magic and fiber? Do you have a particular, perhaps unusual, preference? Any specialty fiber you'd like to try but haven't gotten ahold of yet?

I appreciate your thoughts on fabrics, it shows you have a feel for energy and willingness to think about very detailed variables concerning magic. I, however, while also concerning myself with the collective opinion of others about the magical properties of fabrics, stones, metals, etc will go purely on my "feel" of x, y or z material. I will be drawn to a certain material because of texture, print, construction etc and get a feel for what magical property it had or wants to be used for and just go with it and never second guess it. Its my opinion that the very act of being drawn to or feeling a certain magical property in domething is as powerful, and more times than not, more powerful than the general thought of said material.
  This is useful information to have. I always thought you were supposed to wrap tools in silk because silk is "special" and it was somehow showing respect.*The only reason I'm particular about my fabrics is because I usually know the shape and feel I want from my charm bags/poppets. If I want the bag to fall in this particular way when embroidered with X and filled with X, I just choose the fabric that will fall best that way/be the most conducive to a particular cut.*I'm pretty much completely concerned with aesthetics rather than the magical property of the fabric. Because sewing easily becomes a magical act for me, I usually put more stock in the type of work I do on the item than anything else. (Example: am I turning it twice, rolled hemming, or blanket stitching the edge? Each option has its own kind of feel to me and carries its own meanings.) The same goes for different types of embroidery and the nuances they add to an item.So I guess for me it's the way I work with the fabric that has specific energetic properties, rather than the fabric itself.

This is very much a magical practice in itself. The very act of you sewing and imbuing your intent while sewing makes it more powerful. Your concern is with the end resilt pertaining to shape and feel of what you are wanting the end result to be and it directly corresponds to your magical intent and how well it will put out the intent you want.

Magic is as much perspective, feel and thought than it is witten ideals of cooraspondences, wording and so on. If you think a certain material isn't as good for your spell as another then it won't be because your are sabotaging your spell by how you feel about it. But if you feel a certain material is very powerful and perfect for your spell then it will be, even if the written correspondence for that material doesn't agree. But i guess that's just my opinion.

Tags: