collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Spoiler Tags  (Read 8520 times)

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Spoiler Tags
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 03:01:20 pm »
Quote from: Scales;159936

Other than on fandom forums (which, actually, I'm not very familiar with, but based on the name I'm assuming it's a thing on them), I've never seen spoiler tags used as an actual ruled requirement.

They don't necessarily stop people from seeing triggering/offensive things, but they can make the difference between someone posting something and not, because they have the option to filter parts for only people who want to read them. Encouraging discussion is always good.

Now here's a question*:  How many forums that use spoiler tags also require its members to quote?  Would the text hidden by the spoiler tags appear in the quotes?  If so, then I don't see how effective it would be to prevent triggering.

(*Not necessarily directed at you, Scales.  Your post just gave me a good jumping off point)

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 04:37:16 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;159938
Now here's a question*:  How many forums that use spoiler tags also require its members to quote?  Would the text hidden by the spoiler tags appear in the quotes?  If so, then I don't see how effective it would be to prevent triggering.

(*Not necessarily directed at you, Scales.  Your post just gave me a good jumping off point)

On the one I'm most familiar with that uses spoilers, you can't access the spoiler content if it's been quoted but have to go to the original message.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 04:50:59 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;159968
On the one I'm most familiar with that uses spoilers, you can't access the spoiler content if it's been quoted but have to go to the original message.

Actually, I meant if the spoilered text appears in the place where one composes replies.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 04:54:16 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;159978
Actually, I meant if the spoilered text appears in the place where one composes replies.

Oh.

*Checks*

Yeah, it does appear.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 06:23:19 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;159978

Yes, it generally shows when typing replies (since everything comes up in code, it would show
Spoiler:  
Potential triggers
in the box), but probably people wouldn't be quoting a post if they hadn't read it, and you don't really have to read the text to delete everything within quote tags as people normally do anyway. I don't think it would be a problem, but it's probably good you pointed that out, I wouldn't have thought about it.

Aranel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Spoiler Tags
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 06:52:53 pm »
Quote from: Scales;160029
Yes, it generally shows when typing replies (since everything comes up in code, it would show
Spoiler:  
Potential triggers
in the box), but probably people wouldn't be quoting a post if they hadn't read it, and you don't really have to read the text to delete everything within quote tags as people normally do anyway. I don't think it would be a problem, but it's probably good you pointed that out, I wouldn't have thought about it.

Quick point, there's already spoiler tags on tapatalk. I'm using it now and your post had a spoiler box in it.
I know this is for adding them to the forum, but thought I'd point out that the code you used works on tapatalk anyway so if spoiler tags are going to be installed on the main forum, it would be good if they had the same code as your post so they'll work with however people access TC.
Or at least the spoiler box appeared on the tapatalk I use.
If I remember from another forum I also think the code spoiler works on tapatalk too.
(Edit: nope, the tags must have only worked on taptalk for blackberry then as they don't work on my iphone now.)

I'd think they'd be handy for things like oversized images embedded in posts. But that's because the other forum I mentioned had a general consensus on putting large images in spoiler tags to make things easier for users with slower connections.
I could also see them being helpful for the potential triggers but again almost anything could be a potential trigger for somebody. But they might be quite useful in the mental health sig. I do worry about posting/reading in there sometimes and spoiler tags could possibly be quite good in there. For example, if I wanted to post in there but I knew it could be triggering for other people reading, I could put a trigger warning and do the triggery stuff in spoilers. Then anybody wanting to reply to me could put any part of their reply that involves the triggers in spoilers also.  
But that's mainly because of the nature of that sig as to why they could be useful in there.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 02:48:05 am »
Quote from: Aranel;160038
Quick point, there's already spoiler tags on tapatalk. I'm using it now and your post had a spoiler box in it.
I know this is for adding them to the forum, but thought I'd point out that the code you used works on tapatalk anyway so if spoiler tags are going to be installed on the main forum, it would be good if they had the same code as your post so they'll work with however people access TC.
Or at least the spoiler box appeared on the tapatalk I use.

Yep, I could see the spoiler box too. Had to click it to see the text. AND it remained in the quote.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 07:53:14 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;160093
Yep, I could see the spoiler box too. Had to click it to see the text. AND it remained in the quote.

If they have been used in this thread, they do not show up from the main (web) interface.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 12:01:29 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;160093

It worked on my version of tapatalk, too.  I got a grey box with the word "spoiler" in it.  When I tapped on the box, the hidden text appeared beneath it.

The same box showed up in the quote of the next post.  Tapping on it inside the quote also revealed the hidden text.

But I don't know how to put that into my own post.  I don't see an obvious option for it in the menu.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 02:48:32 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;160532
It worked on my version of tapatalk, too.  I got a grey box with the word "spoiler" in it.  When I tapped on the box, the hidden text appeared beneath it.

The same box showed up in the quote of the next post.  Tapping on it inside the quote also revealed the hidden text.

But I don't know how to put that into my own post.  I don't see an obvious option for it in the menu.

It looks like Scales did it by simply typing BBCode-like tags (that is, in square brackets), the opening tag saying 'spoiler' and the closing one saying '/spoiler', around the sample text.

That means that if TC adds spoiler tags, they should work on Tapatalk just fine without any extra code-gymnastics.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 06:31:03 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;160546
That means that if TC adds spoiler tags, they should work on Tapatalk just fine without any extra code-gymnastics.

We now have a spoiler BBCode

[noparse]
Spoiler:  
Hidden Text
[/noparse]

gives this:

Spoiler:  
Hidden Text
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: