collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Thoughts and Opinions on Neoplatonism  (Read 7795 times)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: Thoughts and Opinions on Neoplatonism
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 06:03:49 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;159147

This is so cool! I think I'll do some reading on it. Thank you so much.:)

(If it wouldn't be too much trouble, do you know of any reliable sources off the top of your head? If you don't, that's fine too. :o)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 06:05:47 pm »
Quote from: EJay;159099

Don't be dissing on my man, Plato. I'm on his side of the line.

What are some things you agree with? Anything in particular, or do you just like his philosophy as a whole?
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 06:26:15 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;159149
This is so cool! I think I'll do some reading on it. Thank you so much.:)

(If it wouldn't be too much trouble, do you know of any reliable sources off the top of your head? If you don't, that's fine too. :o)
Oh maaaaan....sources? I'm not sure. I didn't always know what books my readings were coming from. I do know that Mo Zi 's writings are available from Penguin Classics Press. They're just titled "Mo Zi." Mencius' s writings should also be easily available from Penguin.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 08:55:07 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;159153
Oh maaaaan....sources? I'm not sure. I didn't always know what books my readings were coming from. I do know that Mo Zi 's writings are available from Penguin Classics Press. They're just titled "Mo Zi." Mencius' s writings should also be easily available from Penguin.

Ah, it's fine. Thank you!

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 02:35:24 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;159157
Ah, it's fine. Thank you!

Hang on, I remember there's a good book called The First Emperor of China by Jonathan Clements. It goes into great detail about Legalism, and is also just an interesting history of the Qin dynasty. Used copies are going for about $20 on Amazon.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 08:05:33 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;159062
Weirdly, I am now quite curious about these practices, regardless of how much I dislike the concepts behind them. Most discussions of Neo- and other Platonism that I've seen spend most of their time on the philosophy and barely even mention that there are practices. Would you be able to point me at some resources?

For Plotinus:

http://www.amazon.com/Return-One-Plotinuss-Guide-God-Realization/dp/1588321002

For Iamblichus:

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Theurgy-Iamblichus-Philosophy-Theology/dp/1905297718/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1410955422&sr=1-5&keywords=iamblichus

The second one is much more "magic" oriented and has more practices.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 05:56:26 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;159201
For Plotinus:

For Iamblichus:

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Theurgy-Iamblichus-Philosophy-Theology/dp/1905297718/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1410955422&sr=1-5&keywords=iamblichus

Awesome! *adds to to-read bin*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

makaros

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 02:36:38 pm »
For Plotinus:

For Iamblichus:

I'm actually working on reading the first one right now, it's great stuff (though kind of heavy, but that's to be expected).  Thanks for posting that second recommendation as well!

Neoplatonism, or what I have learned thus far and from what I can remember in writing about it a few years ago in my senior thesis as an undergrad, does a good job at bridging the All to human experience.  I've already believed in a Source (which could easily be Plotinus's "All" or "the One") for quite a long time, even before I knew anything of paganism, and consider gods and goddesses as emanations from that.

Neoplatonism is a great way for pagans and polytheists to sort of upgrade their intellectual and theological background because it's widely compatible with various views of deity and spirituality.  It also encourages a kind of introspection and mysticism that is hard to find in Western philosophy and religion.  I've found books focusing on pagan paths specifically to be a little light in this department and reading Return to the One is helping me develop that part of my spirituality.  At some point the basics don't cut it and we need more to answer our questions about our place in existence.  Or at least I do. :)

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 08:15:52 pm »
Quote from: makaroĆ°;162141
Neoplatonism is a great way for pagans and polytheists to sort of upgrade their intellectual and theological background

Yes, I've long thought this... unfortunately, Neoplatonism is not well known among modern pagans, and most polytheists tend to either reject it (because of its monist tendencies) or to re-interpret it to disregard those tendencies.

Not that I think we should adopt it uncritically- there's some stuff in Plotinus that really bothers me. But I do think we can learn from it.

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2014, 03:14:44 am »
For Iamblichus:

If this is where you're wanting to go, I would HIGHLY recommend learning about Pythagoras, as Iamblichus did.  Pythagoras' teachings included a little more than that darn theorem we had to use in junior high!

My favorite tarot is the Pythagorean tarot and John Opsopaus has written an incredible reference to go along with the deck.  It's not an easy one to learn, but there's so much to learn.

I am a Pythagorean and a panentheist.  Pythagoras was an incredible mystic, and like him, I don't see numbers as merely counters....

Anyhoo... that's another thread.  I just wanted to make sure if you're looking into Neoplatonism, that you might want to also see what Pythagoras was about.  He wasn't a god, but he was damn close!

(Okay, he was--Thou Art God and all that!)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:17:26 am by EJay »
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 08:48:24 am »
Quote from: EJay;162561
If this is where you're wanting to go, I would HIGHLY recommend learning about Pythagoras, as Iamblichus did.

Noted. :)

Tags: