Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Best books for a beginner?  (Read 3306 times)

Stillwood

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Best books for a beginner?
« on: September 08, 2014, 08:26:04 pm »
Hi, I'm new to paganism. I want to learn as much as possible. Can someone recommend a few good books to start with? I love to read and study, so any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Best books for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 01:56:48 am »
Quote from: Stillwood;158432
Hi, I'm new to paganism. I want to learn as much as possible. Can someone recommend a few good books to start with? I love to read and study, so any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!

There is a wealth of good, trustworthy information on this site. I would suggest you look up areas that interest you and you will be sure to find both information and pointers to more inforamtion and books . It's waaayyy better than a 'blind buy' and the people here know their stuff. Seriously, it's a big forum and has been going a very long time. Have fun!:)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 02:42:54 am »

Hi, Smallwood, and welcome to TC!

If you are new to paganism, you are not alone. Everyone has to begin somewhere and everyone has questions. Here are a few ideas to help you get started on your research:

TC's Pagan Primer: This is a resource designed as an introduction. It includes basic information and links to more specific info on a variety of pagan topics, including "Common Questions About Paganism".

TC's Teens and Paganism FAQ: This resource was originally intended to address the kinds of questions teen pagans struggle with, such as talking to parents about religion. However, the final product turned out to include a lot of great info that is useful to new pagans of any age, including many links to very useful resources.

Seeking: First Steps & Tools:  This is a well organized and user friendly resource dedicated to providing the kinds of information and explanations that many new pagans don't even know they need.  The author, Jenett, is a long-time Cauldronite and experienced practitioner of a small religious witchcraft tradition.  (You can read more about Jenett's background in the "About Me" section of her site.)  The Seeking site includes detailed discussions of:
the basics of paganism
reaching out to other pagans
specific practices that are found in many pagan paths
some of the common questions asked by new pagans
a suggested reading list
a description of Conscious Awareness of Religious Environment (CARE) -- a method for evaluating pagan and magical groups for problematic behaviors
Each section includes numerous links to additional relevant material.

TC's Religious Special Interest Groups: In addition to folders on a wide variety of paganism-related topics, this forum also includes Special Interest Groups (SIGs) dedicated to the discussion of specific pagan paths, including practices based on the traditional religions of specific cultures. There are "sticky posts" on resources specific to each path at the top of the SIG folder, so you can easily find additional, in-depth information.

As you probably know by now, TC is a discussion and debate forum. That means posters are free to challenge assumptions, correct faulty facts, and generally disagree. This can be a bit intimidating for people who are new to paganism. So we have created three areas specifically intended as "safe spaces" for beginners, where you can ask questions about any related topic and receive answers from posters who understand that you are not yet as experienced in paganism as many Cauldronites. The beginner-friendly folders are:
Paganism for Beginners
Books and Other Resources
Magic and the Occult for Beginners
Please be sure to read the sticky posts that explain the special rules for participating in threads in those folders.

A piece of advice: TC is a bit different from most other online forums, even other pagan forums. So, we generally recommend that people who are new to TC spend some time reading threads to get a sense of the board culture here before posting questions or comments. That will help you understand how posters interact here and help you avoid unnecessary anxiety about appropriate responses.

If you have any questions about TC, our rules, the board culture, how to post, or anything else, please feel free to post them in the Board Questions, Suggestions, and Feedback folder or send a private message (PM) to any staff member.

Welcome to TC!

~ Aster
Cauldron Staff

P.S.  Please let me know (preferably via PM) if you find any broken links above.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

DavidMcCann

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 01:39:26 pm »

A bit off-topic, but you may find this interesting:
Tradition selector
Not to be taken too seriously!
Minorities are almost always in the right.
They haif said. Quhat say they? Lat thame say!

Quorthon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 07:28:41 pm »

One of the first books I ever got was Our Troth vol 1 & 2. And I picked up Freya asywyn's northern mysteries. I would also say Kveldulf Gundarson Teutonic Magic is a great starting place, as he really explains loads and answers most asked questions.

Mellee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 09:05:23 pm »

+1 to Aster Breo's awesome post!

Really, all I can do is suggest some books that I found useful as a newbie back in the late '90s / early '00s who was mostly interested in modern pagan witchcraft.

Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess Worshippers and Other Pagans in America Today by Margot Adler
Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft by Ronald Hutton
Pagan Paths: A Guide to Wicca, Druidry, Asatru, Shamanism and Other Pagan Practices
by Pete Jennings
Voices from the Circle: The Heritage of Western Paganism edited by Prudence Jones and Caitlin Matthews
Exploring the Pagan Path: Wisdom From the Elders by Kristen Madden et al.
People of the Earth: The New Pagans Speak Out by Ellen Evert Hopman (now called Being a Pagan: Druids, Wiccans and Witches Today)
Wiccan Wisdomkeepers: Modern-day Witches Speak on Environmentalism, Feminism, Motherhood, Wiccan Lore, and More by Sally Griffyn

These books have multiple viewpoints from multiple contributors, which I think helps with understanding that Paganism isn't one religion, but an umbrella term for a wide variety of spirituality.

Even if mine definitely leans towards witchcraft. ;)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 01:14:21 am »
Quote from: Quorthon;177439

Hey all,

Just a note that this is an old thread that Quorthon has revived, not a new one. Since the OP hasn't been logged in since they posted, they probably won't see, much less respond to, your suggestions.

That said, it's an excellent place to put your 'best beginner books' suggestions, for the benefit of all beginners who are looking for reading advice!

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Elessedil

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 01:26:17 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;158457
Seeking: First Steps & Tools:  This is a well organized and user friendly resource dedicated to providing the kinds of information and explanations that many new pagans don't even know they need.  The author, Jenett, is a long-time Cauldronite and experienced practitioner of a small religious witchcraft tradition.  (You can read more about Jenett's background in the "About Me" section of her site.)  The Seeking site includes detailed discussions of:
the basics of paganism
reaching out to other pagans
specific practices that are found in many pagan paths
some of the common questions asked by new pagans
a suggested reading list
a description of Conscious Awareness of Religious Environment (CARE) -- a method for evaluating pagan and magical groups for problematic behaviors
Each section includes numerous links to additional relevant material.

TC's Religious Special Interest Groups: In addition to folders on a wide variety of paganism-related topics, this forum also includes Special Interest Groups (SIGs) dedicated to the discussion of specific pagan paths, including practices based on the traditional religions of specific cultures. There are "sticky posts" on resources specific to each path at the top of the SIG folder, so you can easily find additional, in-depth information.

As you probably know by now, TC is a discussion and debate forum. That means posters are free to challenge assumptions, correct faulty facts, and generally disagree. This can be a bit intimidating for people who are new to paganism. So we have created three areas specifically intended as "safe spaces" for beginners, where you can ask questions about any related topic and receive answers from posters who understand that you are not yet as experienced in paganism as many Cauldronites. The beginner-friendly folders are:
Paganism for Beginners
Books and Other Resources
Magic and the Occult for Beginners
Please be sure to read the sticky posts that explain the special rules for participating in threads in those folders.

~ Aster
Cauldron Staff

This is such an awesome resource! I've already read some articles from Jennet's site and have an idea on what I can do next. Thank you for posting it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:29:08 pm by Elessedil »

Tags: