Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Humor/Quiz: Favorite Insults? (Future trigger warnings possibly?)  (Read 9526 times)

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Favorite Insults? (Future trigger warnings possibly?)
« on: September 07, 2014, 05:13:19 pm »
I did a search of this, but found nothing. If such a thread already exists, please, point me to it.

"Suck my big fat black dick" used to be my favorite phrase, but the wonderful members of TC pointed it out that it's so damned offensive in so many ways.

So inspired by this reply from stephyjh, I'm curious what your favorite / go-to insults are.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 11:05:46 am by RandallS »
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Insults? (Future trigger warnings possibly?)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 06:08:47 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;158346
I'm curious what your favorite / go-to insults are.

I try not to play favorites, because the conclusion that I've come to with people who have favorites are either 1.) that's a quirk and not at all reflective of the person of insult-focus, and/or 2.) if it's not a quirky go-to but an actual trait that they're heaping upon multiple other people, then it's just as likely that they're projecting as they've found a cluster of the same awful type of person.

So, instead, I try to say what I mean. Even if it's mean, because, hey, it's supposed to be an insult. "I have never, ever believed in anybody as little as I do you." "Your opinion is specious and nothing you say is worthy of consideration." Stuff like that, but I've got to think up of a new one each time and they have to be at least a little true to the situation and to the person (and of course, to me...before being true, because it could very well turn out I was miffed for the wrong reason or lashing out at the wrong person at the wrong time in the wrong way, but at the moment it must be honest--brutally so, I can only hope).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 06:11:18 pm by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 06:17:14 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;158355
I try to say what I mean. Even if it's mean, because, hey, it's supposed to be an insult. "I have never, ever believed in anybody as little as I do you." "Your opinion is specious and nothing you say is worthy of consideration." Stuff like that

It doesn't have to be long. "Entitled" "disingenuous" "unreasonable" "insipid" "obnoxious" "cowardly" "hypocritical" "sadistic" (although, if they really are that last one then they probably don't particularly care if they are)...
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 06:48:29 pm »

So inspired by this reply from stephyjh, I'm curious what your favorite / go-to insults are.

Soggy lamp, disingenuous carrot, absolute celery stick, and duplicitous cabbage. Also I like the Shakespearean ones a lot. There were others but I can't remember them at the moment.

I enjoy swearing and insults filled with swears but it's just not that practical in everyday life, so I have to make do with those.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 07:05:41 pm »

I tend not to use insults to someone as they are inflamatory with out being either effective or informative.

However, I will use literary references when I'm describing someone to my friends. Dickens , for instance, provides a rich source of character types that speak to what it is about a person I dislike,  a 'Skimpole, Murdstone, Miss Havisham, Steerforth, etc. ,Nathanial West also provides good range of characters and certainly,Evelyn Waugh.  I prefer these because everyone is complex. Just saying someone is a dick doesn't really indicate what one finds unpalatable about them. And of course calling someone that doesn't accomplish anything...at all.

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 07:22:29 pm »
Quote from: carillion;158368
And of course calling someone that doesn't accomplish anything...at all.

Oh, I do disagree. It may not often accomplish something productive, but in some instances it's very satisfying to let someone know exactly how you feel, even if it's not so nuanced.

When I was a kid I had a blisteringly cool stepmother who liked to insult people by calling them 'fascists,' which became my go-to for a long time. Not so much now that I have a better grasp of history, though.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 07:23:13 pm by beachglass »
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 07:32:19 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;158369
Oh, I do disagree. It may not often accomplish something productive, but in some instances it's very satisfying to let someone know exactly how you feel, even if it's not so nuanced.

We'll have to agree to disagree:)  

It might make someone feel better to onload but if it's in an emotional situation, it just escalates things. In my world, that's a bbbaadddd thing. Also, it doesn't tell the person *why* you perceive them that way so it's not like they will have any impetus to change.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 06:53:32 pm »
I'm curious what your favorite / go-to insults are.

Not an insult per se, but "Are you fricking kidding me?" is almost a motto in my workplace ... there's a reason our department is not allowed to communicate directly with clients.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

NightQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 10:12:44 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;158425
Not an insult per se, but "Are you fricking kidding me?" is almost a motto in my workplace ... there's a reason our department is not allowed to communicate directly with clients.

I constantly say, "I couldn't make this shit up if I tried," at work.  

I have a mouth on me (not one of my finer qualities), but I can't say I ever generally insult anyone to their face.  I let loose a truly vile string of profanity about them in my head, but it doesn't come out of my mouth.  I have been teased a couple times for telling people to, "Just do it," if they are giving me a hard time about doing something that is patently their job, but otherwise I don't insult.  Actually I think the most effective thing to say to someone who is being nasty to you is, "You are being rude.  I'm not sure why, but you will not speak to me in that manner(on the phone a couple times I've also told the person to call me back when they've calmed down and hung up on them if they are particularly nasty)."  I've said it to quite a few people at work (including my employer) and it makes them back down every time.

Earthworm

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 10:24:56 am »
Quote from: beachglass;158369
When I was a kid I had a blisteringly cool stepmother who liked to insult people by calling them 'fascists,' which became my go-to for a long time. Not so much now that I have a better grasp of history, though.

I like to calmly say "fascist" with a devil-may-care smile and shrug when people yell "freak" or what have you at me on the street. Except in the case that the offender is a bro. If it's a bro and he's alone/sufficiently non-threatening I like to respond with "Oh, hey bro!"

Beyond that, I only use insults to anyone's face for sillies in conversations with my sister. My favorite is "trash can."
"A driving thirst for knowledge is the forerunner of wisdom." -Robert Cochrane

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 01:24:00 pm »
I did a search of this, but found nothing. If such a thread already exists, please, point me to it.

"Suck my big fat black dick" used to be my favorite phrase, but the wonderful members of TC pointed it out that it's so damned offensive in so many ways.

"Tampon cock."

"Dogfucker."

"Scumfuck."

"Dumbshit."

"Dickstain."

"Fuckwit."

"Total and utter wankbiscuit."

I swear a lot.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 02:39:45 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;158488
"Tampon cock."

"Dogfucker."

"Scumfuck."

"Dumbshit."

"Dickstain."

"Fuckwit."

I swear a lot.

use ALL the insults!

Those are wonderful.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 08:55:08 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;158488
"Tampon cock."

"Dogfucker."

"Scumfuck."

"Dumbshit."

"Dickstain."

"Fuckwit."

I swear a lot.

Fuckwit is one of my favorites!  So is asshat.

I use weasel and derivatives thereof a lot:

"Why is he such a weasel?"
"To hell with all this weaselry!"
"WEASELS!"
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 09:27:52 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;158529
Fuckwit is one of my favorites!  So is asshat.

I use weasel and derivatives thereof a lot:

"Why is he such a weasel?"
"To hell with all this weaselry!"
"WEASELS!"

I like to picture just you screaming "WEASELS!!" with no context whatsoever.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 09:31:18 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;158533
I like to picture just you screaming "WEASELS!!" with no context whatsoever.

It's been known to happen! ;)
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: