Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: A question about Types of Magic  (Read 4271 times)

New-Seeker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
A question about Types of Magic
« on: September 01, 2014, 08:33:33 pm »
Hi everyone :)

Before I go any further I have used the search function and had a good read round but I would like to ask a question specific to myself and which direction to take in my studies.

I have always felt drawn to the Occult and Pagan Traditions but until recently haven't really allowed myself to 'open up' to the possibility that I could actually practice anything, possibly due to semi-Christian schooling or the fact that my Wife was brought up a Catholic and has a deep mistrust of anything remotely creepy (her words, haha!).

I have felt drawn to Ceremonial Magic (not sure why) and have looked around at the Golden Dawn and as I mentioned in another thread The Celtic Golden Dawn.

My question is this: Are there any other Magical Systems that you think may suit me, given the following conditions?:

1 - I'm only interested in 'Good' Magic. No curses or harm for me.
2 - I need structure, a guided way to practice.
3 - I'm drawn to Ceremonial Magic
4 - I enjoy Solo practice but also would like to be part of a practicing community
5 - Whilst I believe many of the tenets of the New-Age type spiritualities I just can't fully commit to them, perhaps because I'm a stuffy Englishman ;)
6 - It needs to not freak my wife out. For example, she is horrified by the Golden Dawn after seeing a video of the ritual carried out in black robes with face coverings. I understand what's going on but she doesn't, nor does she want to. Paganism, Druidry, Wicca etc don't upset her, and whilst I realise it's a symptom of her conditioning I want to honour her feelings.

Is there any particular group or system that you think would fit my particular foibles?

Once again, please excuse any ignorance on my part.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
Re: A question about Types of Magic
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 08:56:12 pm »
Quote from: New-Seeker;157933

Try Modern Magick by Donald Michael Kraig.  It's a great primer on CM.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:19:32 pm »

Before I go any further I have used the search function and had a good read round but I would like to ask a question specific to myself and which direction to take in my studies.

I have always felt drawn to the Occult and Pagan Traditions but until recently haven't really allowed myself to 'open up' to the possibility that I could actually practice anything, possibly due to semi-Christian schooling or the fact that my Wife was brought up a Catholic and has a deep mistrust of anything remotely creepy (her words, haha!).

I have felt drawn to Ceremonial Magic (not sure why) and have looked around at the Golden Dawn and as I mentioned in another thread The Celtic Golden Dawn.

My question is this: Are there any other Magical Systems that you think may suit me, given the following conditions?:

4 - I enjoy Solo practice but also would like to be part of a practicing community
5 - Whilst I believe many of the tenets of the New-Age type spiritualities I just can't fully commit to them, perhaps because I'm a stuffy Englishman ;)
6 - It needs to not freak my wife out. For example, she is horrified by the Golden Dawn after seeing a video of the ritual carried out in black robes with face coverings. I understand what's going on but she doesn't, nor does she want to. Paganism, Druidry, Wicca etc don't upset her, and whilst I realise it's a symptom of her conditioning I want to honour her feelings.

Is there any particular group or system that you think would fit my particular foibles?

Now, would you like to stay within a Christian/ Jewish context?

In either case, Lon DuQuette's Chicken Quabalah is really good for CM stuff too,  although the focus is on magical theory and Kabbalah, rather than practical stuff. Israel Regardie's One Year Manual is good too. Regardie was a GD member of course, but the book doesn't really talk about that.

If you're drawn to Ceremonial Magick, you could also look in to the Aurum Solis (I think the spelling is right). Most of the stuff covered by the GD is covered there. It's not the most easy stuff to find, or the most approachable, but it's fun.

I'm a CM guy myself, and I've enjoyed Druidic ceremonies I've been invited to, might be worth looking in to, but I don't know enough to make recommendations.
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 09:19:59 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;157934
Try Modern Magick by Donald Michael Kraig.  It's a great primer on CM.
I also have to second this one
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 01:59:43 am »

I'm going to second Lon Milo DuQuette - his My Life With the Spirits is a wonderful book you could get your wife to read if you get into CM, since it portrays it all as decidedly NON spooky.

Earthworm

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 02:39:33 pm »

If you're into ceremonial magic, and your wife isn't put off by Wicca, maybe you'd be interested in British Traditional Wicca? I think Alexandrian Wicca is the most heavily influenced by ceremonial magic, but I'm not 100% on that.
"A driving thirst for knowledge is the forerunner of wisdom." -Robert Cochrane

New-Seeker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 03:57:26 pm »
Quote from: Earthworm;157977

Thank you all for your input - I'm nicely surprised by the tone of this forum, it's the nicest one I've ever been on!

Having dipped my toe into the Ceremonial waters a little over today I get a gut feeling it isn't for me, and I've always found my intuition to be the best guide.

I think I need to go down a more meditative type route, probably guided by my own feeling instead of a rigid structure - but this has been such a good learning experience for me :)

Again, thanks all for your time and thoughts on this post and I'll see you around the forum :D:

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:20:22 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;157951
I'm going to second Lon Milo DuQuette - his My Life With the Spirits is a wonderful book you could get your wife to read if you get into CM, since it portrays it all as decidedly NON spooky.

And follow that one with DuQuette's Low Magick: It's All In Your Head ... You Just Have No Idea How Big Your Head Is .  It follows in the same vein as My Life: entertaining, informative, and funny as hell.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 09:31:03 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;158006
And follow that one with DuQuette's Low Magick: It's All In Your Head ... You Just Have No Idea How Big Your Head Is .  It follows in the same vein as My Life: entertaining, informative, and funny as hell.
Not to sideline us, but I'm poor, and haven't bought that one yet. As good a read as "My Life"?

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 11:11:24 pm »
Quote from: random417;158007
Not to sideline us, but I'm poor, and haven't bought that one yet. As good a read as "My Life"?

I think so.  It's the same memoir-type kind of book.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 02:08:41 am »
Quote from: random417;158007

Yes, it totally is. One of my favourites.

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 01:32:16 am »
Quote from: New-Seeker;157986

I think I need to go down a more meditative type route, probably guided by my own feeling instead of a rigid structure

As I was skimming past Kabbala/Cabalah/Qaballa/etc, it struck me as rather internally focused.  It wouldn't have suited me at all, but it might you.  It's sort of a form of Jewish mysticism, so there's lots of angels and symbolism familiar to Christians.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Tags: