Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Advice During Upheaval  (Read 1313 times)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Advice During Upheaval
« on: August 31, 2014, 11:11:50 pm »
Lately, I've been having trouble. I think I pissed off one of the gods I worship, and while I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say here, there also may have been a bit of confusion as to whether or not I was paying respects to the right god, as in I thought He was a different god and I've been paying respects to the "wrong" god for months. As I am a Devotional Polytheist, this is super distressing. My wires are crossed, and I'm very confused, and I've been trying to deal with all the confusion for a couple months but nothing seems to help.

I just need advice. Any would be appreciated.

Thank you so much.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Advice During Upheaval
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 12:25:49 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;157884
My wires are crossed, and I'm very confused, and I've been trying to deal with all the confusion for a couple months but nothing seems to help.

My usual advice about this kind of thing is 'how would you go about fixing this if you were, say, dealing with a complicated situation at work, or with other people you respect but who have power over you in some form?"

Usually a combination of sincere apology, an attempt to make amends, and figuring out what to do to help bridge the problem go a long way. However, to figure out what that means, you need to focus on the deity you think you've offended (and also the one you thought you were talking to, because saying "Yeah, not talking to you anymore" is also sort of problematic and lacks closure.)

Are there people who have ongoing substantial relationships with these deities you can talk to (people you trust, and people who have been doing this for a while - at least a year or two, and who've had some ups and downs in deity relationships themselves, preferably?) If not, are there people familiar with those deities and/or the cultures/pantheons/etc. they come from who could help?

Research on your own can bridge some of those gaps, but this is a place where other people's UPG can actually be very helpful, if you can filter for people who are doing sensible things with it.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:19:19 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;157888

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. :)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 10:49:23 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;157884
Lately, I've been having trouble. I think I pissed off one of the gods I worship, and while I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say here, there also may have been a bit of confusion as to whether or not I was paying respects to the right god, as in I thought He was a different god and I've been paying respects to the "wrong" god for months. As I am a Devotional Polytheist, this is super distressing. My wires are crossed, and I'm very confused, and I've been trying to deal with all the confusion for a couple months but nothing seems to help.

I just need advice. Any would be appreciated.

Thank you so much.

I actually had a similar experience happen - confusing gods, or in my case, confusing a much lesser spirit for a god. I assumed the god in question would be really, really angry about this, but she wasn't. I did have to take a break from interacting with the god and that spirit, explaining that the confusion was a bit much, I was very upset and distressed, and needed to reorient myself.

I got some divination done after I had calmed down a bit, and that helped clear up the issue of whether the god in question was angry and how the spirit felt about the whole thing. (I'm not really recommending divination, just tossing out that it was part of what I did.)

After that, I went back to the actual god and apologized and made some offerings, and I also focused on her a bit more than usual for a while. The spirit didn't come around until after my relationship with the god had been solidified again, but I apologized to the spirit as well and found a place for him in my life.

Jenett already said some great stuff, so I'm mostly writing to let you know you're not the only person that's experienced something like this. The best thing for me getting over the confusion (and, honestly, the great deal of personal upset it caused me) was time.

Tags: