Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Author Topic: The Celtic Golden Dawn  (Read 8932 times)

New-Seeker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
The Celtic Golden Dawn
« on: August 31, 2014, 04:57:00 pm »
So if you haven't seen the introduction thread I'm a Newbie to all things Pagan and have been doing a bot of research to find out what is a good fit for me.

The main book I have clicked with is 'The Celtic Golden Dawn' by John Michael Greer, and I was wondering what the thoughts were on this Board about it?

I must say, I'm not interested in how Historic or Traditional it is, rather than if it works as a system. I also understand it's based on his experience within the Golden Dawn which has been tailored towards a Celtic based system (and is only a year or two old).

Is it a good access method for Ritual Magic / Druidism?

Many thanks for your thoughts :)

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Re: The Celtic Golden Dawn
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:00:44 pm »
Quote from: New-Seeker;157861
So if you haven't seen the introduction thread I'm a Newbie to all things Pagan and have been doing a bot of research to find out what is a good fit for me.

The main book I have clicked with is 'The Celtic Golden Dawn' by John Michael Greer, and I was wondering what the thoughts were on this Board about it?

I must say, I'm not interested in how Historic or Traditional it is, rather than if it works as a system. I also understand it's based on his experience within the Golden Dawn which has been tailored towards a Celtic based system (and is only a year or two old).

I have actually thought about getting this book. I am a Celtic Pagan, but I'm also very involved in Ceremonial Magick, so I thought it sounded interesting. I have probably the exact same questions about the book that you do, and hopefully someone will be able to answer them. I will probably get the book and give it a go!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 12:17:24 am »

I haven't read it either. Poke Runnion did a review of it on the Hermetic Hour herehttp:// http://www.blogtalkradio.com/the-hermetic-hour/2013/12/20/john-michael-greer-and-the-celtic-golden-dawn

I'll throw it on tomorrow morning, and do some poking online. I'm hoping someone that's read it will still wander by, but in the absence, there's Pokes review.

I don't see a reason the Golden Dawn and Celtic stuff wouldn't mesh well enough, though.
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

New-Seeker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 09:48:48 am »
Quote from: random417;157887
I haven't read it either. Poke Runnion did a review of it on the Hermetic Hour herehttp:// http://www.blogtalkradio.com/the-hermetic-hour/2013/12/20/john-michael-greer-and-the-celtic-golden-dawn

I'll throw it on tomorrow morning, and do some poking online. I'm hoping someone that's read it will still wander by, but in the absence, there's Pokes review.

I don't see a reason the Golden Dawn and Celtic stuff wouldn't mesh well enough, though.

Ah yes, I listened to that as it's one of the few things I was able to find. My feelings are that it seems very well thought out and JMG is well respected in the field. I just wonder how large the practicing community might be?

New-Seeker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 09:49:32 am »
Quote from: Cryfder;157882
I have actually thought about getting this book. I am a Celtic Pagan, but I'm also very involved in Ceremonial Magick, so I thought it sounded interesting. I have probably the exact same questions about the book that you do, and hopefully someone will be able to answer them. I will probably get the book and give it a go!

It's on Kindle for quite cheap - let me know if you get it and what you think!

:)

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 01:30:04 pm »
Quote from: New-Seeker;157900
It's on Kindle for quite cheap - let me know if you get it and what you think!

:)
Will do!!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

New-Seeker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:26:09 am »

Ok, so here's my experience:

I bought the book and have tried the starting meditations, and they were really good. I progressed on to buying the items for my altar and today I tried setting it up and meditating as directed. The result was not good.

Either it's a personal reaction to Ceremonial Magic (probable) or a reaction specific to this practice but it just felt horrible and unnatural to me, nothing like any meditation I've had before. I can't quite put my finger on it but it just didn't feel right and I got a sense / message that this isn't the path for me.

I'm sure it will work for some people, I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Ingo

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:55:14 pm »
Quote from: New-Seeker;157971

.............I can't quite put my finger on it but it just didn't feel right and I got a sense / message that this isn't the path for me....

I haven’t read ‘The Celtic Golden Dawn’, but if you are drawn to things Celtic, have you read anything by John & Caitlin Matthews, e.g.  ‘The Western Way’, or R J Stewart, e.g.  ‘Power Within The Land’?
Personally, I think it is all new, but have a read and see if you like it.

Also, check out Jan Fries – ‘Cauldron of the Gods: a Manual of Celtic Magic’. I haven’t read this one, but his other books on the Northern traditions like ‘Seidways’ are excellent, and he is a lot meatier than the other authors I mentioned.

CHTHONIC

• Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 12:13:26 pm »
Quote from: New-Seeker;157899
Ah yes, I listened to that as it's one of the few things I was able to find. My feelings are that it seems very well thought out and JMG is well respected in the field. I just wonder how large the practicing community might be?

historically the celtic elements were one of the causes of the schism within the original golden dawn, which led to wb yeats doing his own thing and eventually helping some guy called ae waite creating a certain tarot deck

evdicence of celtic themes within the golden dawn are far and few between as this was a secret aspect of the group. We can see this imediatly in the work of William sharpe though (a golden dawn member)... this in turn was continued on through yeats and the likes of dion fortune and christine hartley.... and their related offshoots upto wendy berg etc

http://www.sundown.pair.com/

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 07:46:54 pm »
Quote from: CHTHONIC;190825
historically the celtic elements were one of the causes of the schism within the original golden dawn, which led to wb yeats doing his own thing and eventually helping some guy called ae waite creating a certain tarot deck

What was being asked about here wasn't the original Golden Dawn, though, but this new development.

Also, just so you know, this is an old thread, and the person you're replying to hasn't been logged into TC for almost a year and a half.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 07:46:02 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;190865
Also, just so you know, this is an old thread, and the person you're replying to hasn't been logged into TC for almost a year and a half.

Reviews of books may be helpful for other persons than the thread-starter, perhaps?

Something I think everyone ought to know, is, that the 'Celtic' element in The Celtic Golden Dawn mostly is beliefs and myths held by modern Welsh Druids in the 18th, 19th and early 20th century. It is certainly not reconstructionist.

Though some persons reject the use of the label 'Celtic' about that category of lore, and I would have preferred the label 'Druidic', I am personally very fond of what began in Iolo Morganwg's creative initiative, and then was further developed by generations of modern Druids.

Tags: