"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Your pagan 'Mecca'?  (Read 3378 times)

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Your pagan 'Mecca'?
« on: August 31, 2014, 02:06:26 am »
If you follow a belief system that originated elsewhere in the world, have you been there? Do you plan to go someday or do you not feel it necessary or desirable to visit the place(s) in which your belief system originated and/or took form?

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Your pagan 'Mecca'?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 02:22:02 am »
Quote from: carillion;157778
If you follow a belief system that originated elsewhere in the world, have you been there? Do you plan to go someday or do you not feel it necessary or desirable to visit the place(s) in which your belief system originated and/or took form?

Yes, actually. My faith is very heavily influenced by Japanese religions, and I just got back from Japan a couple of weeks ago. It was an incredible experience, and one that really transformed me spiritually and psychologically.

Going was necessary for me for reasons other than spiritual, since I plan to become a scholar of Japanese history. However, I don't think I would've "caught" what Benzaiten-sama was trying to tell me if I hadn't gone.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 02:34:54 am »

It's funny. I lived in Germany for several years, was pagan, and never once looked into Germanic paganism/heathenry. Afterwards I wanted to go back just to see, you know? Like, maybe there would be a difference in some way, some stronger connection. But I'm not really too worried about it anymore.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 03:04:45 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;157781
It's funny. I lived in Germany for several years, was pagan, and never once looked into Germanic paganism/heathenry. Afterwards I wanted to go back just to see, you know? Like, maybe there would be a difference in some way, some stronger connection. But I'm not really too worried about it anymore.

I'm a great believer in Genius Loci so I always felt compelled to visit the places that had either birthed or became the home of some of the things I felt drawn to. Sometimes it came in strong and true and other times I've gotten no more 'vibe' than a shopping mall. Also, the places I *thought* I'd 'find' something weren't always the places I did.Often I would  be off somewhere on some mundane task and find myself in a place that crystallized my feelings to an astonishing degree. But it was/is never predictable.

And sometimes, especially lately, I've discovered that some of the things I found aspirational were all around me but because I had previously had a preconceived notion that it could only be found in one place, I failed to see it before.

Saves on air fare but if I get drawn to some place again - I'll go.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:05:58 am by carillion »

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 03:36:42 am »

I have been to Disneyland and look forward to going back in a few years, when my daughter's old enough to enjoy it.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 03:46:13 am »

I'd love to go to Ukraine and Russia at some point, but considering the former currently is a war zone and the latter has anti-gay laws, neither of them are safe places for me /at all/.

Poland is still a possible option, but it's not as relevant to me as the other two places for some reason.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 03:54:06 am »

I feel weird, as a Kemetic, that I've never had any sort of strong desire to go to Egypt? It's very expensive, for a start, and with all the political turmoil of recent years, I don't feel it'd be safe to go there any time soon, particularly as a Pagan. I do think about it, every so often, in an abstract sort of 'maybe one day' kind of way, but it's just not a strong desire for me.

But it's also because of Sobek. Crocodiles are more significant to me and my practice than Egypt is. I'd be more interested in travelling around Northern Australia, and maybe going to some of the croc farms and sanctuaries up there. Find a way to get more in touch with crocodile habitats and how they live. That, to me, feels much more relevant to my path and practice, than going to Egypt.

I would like to go to the UK one day, partly because it's where my ancestors came from, and because I'd like to see it for myself. There are plenty of people and places I'd like to see. Also, my mother was born there, so. I don't know when that might happen, but it will happen at some point, when I have the money.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 04:51:08 am »
Quote from: Jack;157790
I have been to Disneyland and look forward to going back in a few years, when my daughter's old enough to enjoy it.

NICE.  I love the Magic Kingdom.  I want to take my own kids soon, but damn it's pricey.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 04:54:48 am »

Hm, well, not a 'Mecca' per se, but there are a couple of places I feel I *need* to visit before I shuffle off.  There's Stonehenge, on the summer solstice.  And there's Salem, Mass., on Halloween.  Also, Rosslyn Chapel in Scotland and Freemasons' Hall in London.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 05:41:50 am »

Well, yes, I'd love to visit Terre d'Ange but unfortunately travel between Alternate Universe Earths is strictly regulated. Too much red tape. You know how it is.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 05:44:18 am »
Quote from: Morag;157804
Well, yes, I'd love to visit Terre d'Ange but unfortunately travel between Alternate Universe Earths is strictly regulated. Too much red tape. You know how it is.

As a Gnostic Narnian, I wanted to make pilgrimage back to Narnia, but Aslan said I wasn't allowed anymore.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 05:45:34 am »
Quote from: Morag;157804
Too much red tape. You know how it is.

I bet that's why it's suuuch a bitch to find Tanelorn.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 05:46:56 am »

Rome.

I'd also like to visit the Vatican one day, Modernists or no :)
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

PrincessAstrid

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 08:04:26 am »

I'm a Kemetic, and would love to go to Egypt someday soon. I am actively saving for the trip, albeit slowly. Hopefully by the time I've saved up enough, it'll be a lot calmer in the area.

I'd also really like to go to mainland Portugal. I'm from the Azores, but my family truly originated on the continent (as almost all Azorean families did). I've never been, but I would like to, as a way to become closer to my ancestors and see some of the things that would have been important to them, whether or not those things are religiously tied to me or not.

There's a chapel made of bones in Evora, Portugal that I've been dying to go to since I first heard of it. For some reason, I'm really drawn to it and know that if nothing else, I need to see that place. I'm not really sure why, but it feels more spiritual to me than "omg cool goth thing", if that makes any sense.

Earthworm

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 10:46:36 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;157801
And there's Salem, Mass., on Halloween.

Yes. This. I wanted to go there this year because I just moved to the east coast, but apparently places on the east coast are not as close together as I thought they would be.

Also, Saint Catherine's monastery at the foot of Mount Sinai.
"A driving thirst for knowledge is the forerunner of wisdom." -Robert Cochrane

Tags: