Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: C'mon admit to your pagan taboos  (Read 12017 times)

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
C'mon admit to your pagan taboos
« on: August 31, 2014, 12:19:06 am »
Okay so we have all them. Doing something that to the mainstream sounds witchy or mystical but is actually a taboo in our community. One thing that comes to mind is actually going to see a psychic, either online, or at a tourist trap. Or worst at a major call center like californiapsychics.com. I admit, since November of last year, I've been experimenting with calling the http://www.californiapsychics.com hotline. I've tried 4 different psychics. I'm thinking I may have come across one of the more legit ones on the site but the jury is still out. So far only one of her perdictions/vibrations seemed true. Concerning a school group I'm part of, another prediction is supposedly going to happen between the years 2015 and 2018. And another has a deadline of either 4-5 weeks from August 8, or 2-3 months from July 3, so the jury is definitely out on her still.

Regardless, I understand this is a taboo because in certain sections of our community, it's looked down upon to never have a face-to-face reading or at least depend on more solidary/independent readers or yourself (even) as a more legitimate source of psychic readings. But I know I can't be the only pagan who does this and other taboo behaviors, so let's be honest here and admit the terrible taboos we've committed.
PrincessKLS

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: C'mon admit to your pagan taboos
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 12:39:14 am »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;157767
Okay so we have all them. Doing something that to the mainstream sounds witchy or mystical but is actually a taboo in our community. One thing that comes to mind is actually going to see a psychic, either online, or at a tourist trap. Or worst at a major call center like californiapsychics.com. I admit, since November of last year, I've been experimenting with calling the http://www.californiapsychics.com hotline. I've tried 4 different psychics. I'm thinking I may have come across one of the more legit ones on the site but the jury is still out. So far only one of her perdictions/vibrations seemed true. Concerning a school group I'm part of, another prediction is supposedly going to happen between the years 2015 and 2018. And another has a deadline of either 4-5 weeks from August 8, or 2-3 months from July 3, so the jury is definitely out on her still.

Regardless, I understand this is a taboo because in certain sections of our community, it's looked down upon to never have a face-to-face reading or at least depend on more solidary/independent readers or yourself (even) as a more legitimate source of psychic readings. But I know I can't be the only pagan who does this and other taboo behaviors, so let's be honest here and admit the terrible taboos we've committed.

I don't consider anything I do taboo. Of course I live in Vancouver where one would have to try really, really hard to stand out in anyway. And there will be people who disapprove of all kinds of things other people do.why would I allow them to schedule my life?

I don't use psychic hot-lines but I would if felt like it. Who cares? Enjoy:)

By the way, are you speaking of 'pagan' disapproval or the Ladies Baptist lunch committee

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 12:49:47 am »
Quote from: carillion;157769
By the way, are you speaking of 'pagan' disapproval or the Ladies Baptist lunch committee

That's what I was going to ask. If it's the latter: Everything. If it's the former:

Okay so we have all them. Doing something that to the mainstream sounds witchy or mystical but is actually a taboo in our community.

I'm breaking down the categories between my headspace of fantasy and my headspace of UPG. Or actively trying to, like, really aiming to, even though they're still mostly separate in my mind. Like, what I get and attribute to divine inspiration is still going to be converted into some pulpy entertainment. Inventing my own mythology. I think that as long as I'm honest and continually expressively conscious about it, then it's less of a taboo, but from what I've seen, pop culture paganism gets like, "Clutch the pearls!" Level of no respectability...and I used to be on that side, which makes things awkward.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 12:54:01 am »
Quote from: carillion;157769
I don't consider anything I do taboo. Of course I live in Vancouver where one would have to try really, really hard to stand out in anyway. And there will be people who disapprove of all kinds of things other people do.why would I allow them to schedule my life?

I don't use psychic hot-lines but I would if felt like it. Who cares? Enjoy:)

Technically pagan disapproval but so many pagans in my country of America are so heavily influenced by their Christian upbringings that I think sometimes they get caught up in the dogma of things. I haven't yet tried the ultimate taboo of casting a love spell of someone but in retrospect when I think of all the readings in the past that I got done on people in my life, and got the "third party reading" about, I felt the happiest and as if I was learning something about myself in a process. I did worry about angering some of these people if they ever knew but I don't know if that particular anxiety is from the Wiccan/Christian-induced upbringing I had or if it's a real warning from god?
PrincessKLS

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 01:00:39 am »
Quote from: Faemon;157772
I'm breaking down the categories between my headspace of fantasy and my headspace of UPG. Or actively trying to, like, really aiming to, even though they're still mostly separate in my mind. Like, what I get and attribute to divine inspiration is still going to be converted into some pulpy entertainment. Inventing my own mythology. I think that as long as I'm honest and continually expressively conscious about it, then it's less of a taboo, but from what I've seen, pop culture paganism gets like, "Clutch the pearls!" Level of no respectability...and I used to be on that side, which makes things awkward.

Come to the dark side, we have cookies! And Force-users! ;)

Pop Culture work is definitely the thing I do that garners the most of the above-referenced pearl-clutching, but I also do things like work with jotnar and particularly Loki, and I'm awfully irreverent much of the time, which tends to make Heathens as uncomfortable as a chap-wearing cowboy stripper who found his way into the bull pen. So.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 01:10:39 am »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;157773
Technically pagan disapproval but so many pagans in my country of America are so heavily influenced by their Christian upbringings that I think sometimes they get caught up in the dogma of things. I haven't yet tried the ultimate taboo of casting a love spell of someone but in retrospect when I think of all the readings in the past that I got done on people in my life, and got the "third party reading" about, I felt the happiest and as if I was learning something about myself in a process. I did worry about angering some of these people if they ever knew but I don't know if that particular anxiety is from the Wiccan/Christian-induced upbringing I had or if it's a real warning from god?

If his publicity team handouts are anything to go by, I figure god could arrange to have you fried, turned into a salt-lick or arrange for some pack of feral hounds to work you over leaving nowt but your palms and soles of your feet if you were bothering him or causing a ripple in his sanctity anywhere or any how.

As for 'pagan approval'= pffft. For one thing it's a very small demographic.

I used to be *such* a snob and turn away from anything in which pagan beliefs<>fun might run into each other. Then I realized I was being so all-fired precious about my particular subjective conceits that I was letting a lot of information (and fun) pass me by.

I don't conflate sincerity with avoiding guilty pleasures ( though to be honest, not much guilt do I feel) anymore. I can read the heavy tomes *and* go to the fair without compromising the integrity of either experience.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:11:58 am by carillion »

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 02:37:43 am »
so let's be honest here and admit the terrible taboos we've committed.

I still like God? *shrug* (Not sure if that counts.)
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 02:53:15 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;157782
I still like God? *shrug* (Not sure if that counts.)

*Gasp**splutter*, why that's pagan HERESY! You must collect your antler hats, pentacle collection, Tibetan singing bowls and RenFaire attire and report to a re-education camp *immediately*

Until you do, you must abstain from incense, stained glass, small glasses of wine and Old Master paintings. Oh, and avoid looking at statuary -no idols allowed. That includes watching 'American Idol' and such as well.

May the gods have mercy on your  Viking diorama and dream-catcher ornaments!

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 02:58:41 am »
Quote from: carillion;157783
abstain from wine

Damn you.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 03:15:05 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;157784
Damn you.

Paganism is a hard mistress. Why should you be allowed to enjoy an extra belief  when so many pagans are hard at work denying themselves that luxury: dressing all in black or purple velvet on the hottest days, pretending to like every pathetic 'pagan' musician who caterwauls songs full of neo-pagan buzz words and half-understood mythology and keeping away from church fetes even though they serve the best cake. And that's the least of their trials.

Stop finding comfort in forbidden places. That includes wine until you are re-educated then you may only drink deeply discounted mead. The pale yellow stuff that someone threw some dried camomile in.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 03:33:50 am »
Okay so we have all them. Doing something that to the mainstream sounds witchy or mystical but is actually a taboo in our community.

I dress like someone coming out of church. (A really conservative church that makes women wear very modest skirts.) I just never got into the whole 'dress like a goth with too much crushed velvet in their wardrobe' thing. I occasionally attempt to do the 'earth child' look, but it looks so terrible on me that my partner refuses to go out of the house with me if I'm wearing a boho skirt or overly flowy top. Ultimately, I like sensible jumpers (sweaters) with shirts underneath, and nice skirts made of things like tweed.

I have a problem, I know.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 08:17:29 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;157789
I dress like someone coming out of church. (A really conservative church that makes women wear very modest skirts.) I just never got into the whole 'dress like a goth with too much crushed velvet in their wardrobe' thing. I occasionally attempt to do the 'earth child' look, but it looks so terrible on me that my partner refuses to go out of the house with me if I'm wearing a boho skirt or overly flowy top. Ultimately, I like sensible jumpers (sweaters) with shirts underneath, and nice skirts made of things like tweed.

I have a problem, I know.

Sounds fantastic and practical to me. :)
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 11:17:28 am »
But I know I can't be the only pagan who does this and other taboo behaviors, so let's be honest here and admit the terrible taboos we've committed.

I still love my birth religion, Catholicism. Yes, despite the scandals, and despite the Church's problematic stances on....everything involving sex in any way. The Church, the Virgin, and the Saints provided too much comfort to me in the worst time of my life for me to hate them because their earthly representatives are....too earthly.

I still love Catholicism, even though I am a lesbian....maybe actually because I am a lesbian. Let me explain: in my area, the choices are High Church Episcopalian, Roman Catholic, or Conservative Fundamentalist Protestant. The first was a no-go to me, because it seemed like Catholicism Lite. Besides, when I was a kid, the Episcopalian Church was not so open as it would later become.

My choices were:

"the Bible calls it an abomination. I'll pray with you for your recovery." That was my Bible teacher, when I told her I thought I might be gay. I'm aware it could've been much, much worse. I attribute her mild reaction to the fact that she genuinely liked me and knew I was a devout believer, and couldn't comprehend someone like me being "one of them."

or, paraphrasing the Catechism:

"We can't deny the existence of deep rooted homosexual tendencies in some people...." *theological dancing around the fact that they just acknowledged that if G-D makes people, he makes gays too...* "Therefore these individuals must live a life of chastity" *blah blah blah, chastity is great, take it from us priests!!!* Yes, I know that sounds flippant, but I'm not bashing it. I actually felt better about the Catholic position because I knew that priests weren't supposed to have sex, just like unmarried people weren't supposed to have sex, just like even married couples aren't really supposed to have sex unless they're trying for babies. In other words, I was fine being told I wasn't allowed to have sex, because I wasn't the only one being forbidden to do it.;) The Catholic Church doesn't hate homosexuals. It hates all-kinds-of-sexuals.

I'm sad it didn't work out between G-D and I sometimes, because I miss the community I had at St.Joseph's. But it really was like I was invisible to the big guy (and his son). I always got the strong impression that my prayers were simply not being heard. Like there was nobody there listening.

On the other hand, the Virgin was always there whenever I started to despair. I especially built up a relationship with the Virgin of Guadalupe towards the end. I still call on her sometimes, but never for myself. As for the saints, my first "thwapping" took place in the Church kitchen when I was about 11 or so. I was reading a Catholic newspaper and stumbled across the profile of St. Maria Goretti, an early-20th century adolescent who died defending herself from sexual assault by an acquaintance.

Her major miracle was appearing to the young man in his dreams while he was in jail, and effecting a radical personality transformation in him by basically telling him that, "look, I don't want you to go to hell, so shape up." When he was released, he sought her mother and begged her forgiveness, then took religious vows and lived the rest of his life as a monk.

I'm convinced St. Maria Goretti reached out to me because she thought I needed to recognize the value of compassion and forgiveness, not just for those who interact with me, but for my own wellbeing.

....I didn't mean to ramble. Sorry.:o
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 01:03:33 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;157818
....I didn't mean to ramble. Sorry.:o

I think that was an interesting ramble to read, actually...The story of St. Goretti can be analyzed in all sorts of ways, maybe not all favorably, but I personally appreciate your bringing it up and out for that sort of mulling over to be done about it. ;)

I think it's also important, these personal stories. So, it's really not a fact or even a safe assumption that people only turn to paganism because they hate monotheism and everything about it. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out in a relationship (with G-d), but like...you can still be friends or see other people, but usually you can have different lives, and just find people who are better and more suited to both of you.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

NightQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 03:43:59 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;157818
I still love my birth religion, Catholicism. Yes, despite the scandals, and despite the Church's problematic stances on....everything involving sex in any way. The Church, the Virgin, and the Saints provided too much comfort to me in the worst time of my life for me to hate them because their earthly representatives are....too earthly.

I still love Catholicism too.  Mass is a beautiful ritual that raises a lot of power.  I think I clung to it for so long because I found beauty there and a sense of belonging to something greater than one's self.  There's a certain feeling that comes knowing that you're performing a ritual that people all over the world are also performing and have been doing for thousands of years.

I'd happily be a Catholic if I actual believed Church teachings, but I don't.  It's not just social issues for me (though that is a part of it), it's the basic tenets of belief.  I don't really believe in the God of Abraham, or if I do, I kind of think he's a dick and not particularly worthy of worship (I apologize if I've offended anyone who does worship him, but it's just how I feel). {Insert Deity of your choice here} knows I tried to rationalize my way into believing for years, but I just can't.

Quote from:
I still love Catholicism, even though I am a lesbian....maybe actually because I am a lesbian. Let me explain: in my area, the choices are High Church Episcopalian, Roman Catholic, or Conservative Fundamentalist Protestant. The first was a no-go to me, because it seemed like Catholicism Lite. Besides, when I was a kid, the Episcopalian Church was not so open as it would later become.

I once went to an Episcopalian wedding.  It was so close to a Catholic Mass, but with serious differences so that my inner Catholic was screaming things like, "No, the bride and groom just went behind the Altar.  That's not right!"  That and I was automatically standing up at certain points only to realize I was the only one.  It was actually pretty funny.  It's strange how taboos that you don't even really still believe in still can cause a visceral reaction when they're broken.

Tags: