collapse

Author Topic: C'mon admit to your pagan taboos  (Read 12081 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: C'mon admit to your pagan taboos
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 06:21:22 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;157772
Inventing my own mythology.

That's a pagan taboo? I am *so* screwed.

Also, I went deer hunting once (bow and arrow, accompanying an experienced hunter; no luck that day, however). I watched a fluffier, veganesque pagan cringe in horror when I admitted this, whereas to me, nothing could be more pagan. In fact, my paganism is one of the reasons I did it (though not the main reason).
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Aranel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 07:26:19 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;157789
I dress like someone coming out of church. (A really conservative church that makes women wear very modest skirts.) I just never got into the whole 'dress like a goth with too much crushed velvet in their wardrobe' thing. I occasionally attempt to do the 'earth child' look, but it looks so terrible on me that my partner refuses to go out of the house with me if I'm wearing a boho skirt or overly flowy top. Ultimately, I like sensible jumpers (sweaters) with shirts underneath, and nice skirts made of things like tweed.

I have a problem, I know.

(Quoting Nay as I'm also going to talk about clothes)

I wear jeans and a t-shirt with a fleece and a kag depending on weather (long-sleeved tops and hoodies in the winter as well as the fleece) and either trainers, walking boots or wellies (snow boots in winter). If it's really hot weather I might wear walking trousers.

Really, considering the stereotypical nature-loving thing most people assume pagans are, I probably fit it better than all the goth or earth child looks. Because I look like I'm about to spend all day out roaming the hills. Which is actually what I do spend most of my time doing considering that my job is basically walking. But I wear what I wear at work in my own time as well because I'm often out walking my own dogs and there's no point me trying to wear pretty clothes because a) it makes me too self-conscious and makes me anxious and b) I just get covered in dog hair and slobber the minute I step outside my bedroom anyway.

Other "taboos".
I don't really like cats. *runs and hides*

I really, really want to go to Mass. Raised Church of England and I've had a long time fascination with Catholic Mass and I really want to go observe one. But I doubt I will because it will be quite difficult explaining to family where I'm going and also I don't feel like it would be appropriate for me to go when I don't follow their religion or agree with a lot of Catholic teachings.

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 09:28:53 pm »
Quote from: Altair;157870
That's a pagan taboo? I am *so* screwed.

Also, I went deer hunting once (bow and arrow, accompanying an experienced hunter; no luck that day, however). I watched a fluffier, veganesque pagan cringe in horror when I admitted this, whereas to me, nothing could be more pagan. In fact, my paganism is one of the reasons I did it (though not the main reason).

I'm working on my gun license, haven't decided if I'll learn how to hunt.

I guess the taboos I break from the few pagans I've met and their reactions is I don't think Tarot should be read every time someone needs some advice. And that hard work goes hand in hand with success and achievement. I was around some rather "fluffy" pagans and a redneck on top of that so there were some regular disagreements. "Lets do a spell and ritual so that we can pass our exams" from them was met with "Nah, I'm staying home to study" from me. I'm sure much of my skeptical nature towards fellow pagans has nothing to do with the various pagan paths and more to do with these individuals, who they were as a person.

I offend the Christians around here way more often, haven't met a pagan in months. I rarely wear black but I do have a cat :) The church ladies told me the other day they would pray for me when I said I wasn't husband-shopping at the moment.
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 08:59:04 pm »
Quote from: Jack;157774

but I also do things like work with jotnar

I'm not heathen, but I totally get this (which is maybe why I'm not heathen). When I was reading the Prose Edda, I was constantly identifying with the jotnar. All too often there they were, sort of average working-class Joes minding their own business, and then some high-born Aesir would come along and make their life miserable (or end it), just because.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 10:31:42 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;157877
I'm working on my gun license, haven't decided if I'll learn how to hunt.

When I have expendable cash, I'm going to work on getting a gun license and a gun. And I will probably slowly develop a small collection of firearms. I do plan to learn how to hunt and go hunting. (If I were a man, I'd already know this thanks to my family, but since I was born with a vagina - nope. Girls can't learn that in my family!)

Like others, my fashion doesn't really fit with many Pagans I've met. I either wear plan jeans & t shirts, or I wear a lot of fandom clothes. I'm usually wrapped up in my latest fandom's wear than anything Pagan-ish. Which is good because it kind of tests the waters when I do meet a Pagan or polytheist - are they going to assume I'm stupid or a 'dabbler' (oh noooooooooo) because I'm a geek? If so, goooooodbye to them.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 02:14:10 am »
Quote from: ainellewellyn;157943
Like others, my fashion doesn't really fit with many Pagans I've met. I either wear plan jeans & t shirts, or I wear a lot of fandom clothes. I'm usually wrapped up in my latest fandom's wear than anything Pagan-ish. Which is good because it kind of tests the waters when I do meet a Pagan or polytheist - are they going to assume I'm stupid or a 'dabbler' (oh noooooooooo) because I'm a geek? If so, goooooodbye to them.

I assume most pagans are total fucking nerds, actually.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 02:28:26 am »
Quote from: ainellewellyn;157943

Nothing more fun than showing up to a big pagan event in a Thor t-shirt and watching people actively ignore me when I tell them I know what runes or the wheel of the year is.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 10:45:23 am »
Quote from: Jack;157774
Come to the dark side, we have cookies! And Force-users! ;)

Pop Culture work is definitely the thing I do that garners the most of the above-referenced pearl-clutching, but I also do things like work with jotnar and particularly Loki, and I'm awfully irreverent much of the time, which tends to make Heathens as uncomfortable as a chap-wearing cowboy stripper who found his way into the bull pen. So.

I think I'm more afraid fo the cowboy strippers than the Heathens.
PrincessKLS

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 10:48:56 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;157782
I still like God? *shrug* (Not sure if that counts.)

Which god though and technically, Jesus is different from God of the bible.
PrincessKLS

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 10:49:58 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;157953
I assume most pagans are total fucking nerds, actually.

I have noticed an overlap.
PrincessKLS

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 10:53:08 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;157818
I still love my birth religion, Catholicism. Yes, despite the scandals, and despite the Church's problematic stances on....everything involving sex in any way. The Church, the Virgin, and the Saints provided too much comfort to me in the worst time of my life for me to hate them because their earthly representatives are....too earthly.

I still love Catholicism, even though I am a lesbian....maybe actually because I am a lesbian. Let me explain: in my area, the choices are High Church Episcopalian, Roman Catholic, or Conservative Fundamentalist Protestant. The first was a no-go to me, because it seemed like Catholicism Lite. Besides, when I was a kid, the Episcopalian Church was not so open as it would later become.

My choices were:

"the Bible calls it an abomination. I'll pray with you for your recovery." That was my Bible teacher, when I told her I thought I might be gay. I'm aware it could've been much, much worse. I attribute her mild reaction to the fact that she genuinely liked me and knew I was a devout believer, and couldn't comprehend someone like me being "one of them."

or, paraphrasing the Catechism:

"We can't deny the existence of deep rooted homosexual tendencies in some people...." *theological dancing around the fact that they just acknowledged that if G-D makes people, he makes gays too...* "Therefore these individuals must live a life of chastity" *blah blah blah, chastity is great, take it from us priests!!!* Yes, I know that sounds flippant, but I'm not bashing it. I actually felt better about the Catholic position because I knew that priests weren't supposed to have sex, just like unmarried people weren't supposed to have sex, just like even married couples aren't really supposed to have sex unless they're trying for babies. In other words, I was fine being told I wasn't allowed to have sex, because I wasn't the only one being forbidden to do it.;) The Catholic Church doesn't hate homosexuals. It hates all-kinds-of-sexuals.

I'm sad it didn't work out between G-D and I sometimes, because I miss the community I had at St.Joseph's. But it really was like I was invisible to the big guy (and his son). I always got the strong impression that my prayers were simply not being heard. Like there was nobody there listening.

On the other hand, the Virgin was always there whenever I started to despair. I especially built up a relationship with the Virgin of Guadalupe towards the end. I still call on her sometimes, but never for myself. As for the saints, my first "thwapping" took place in the Church kitchen when I was about 11 or so. I was reading a Catholic newspaper and stumbled across the profile of St. Maria Goretti, an early-20th century adolescent who died defending herself from sexual assault by an acquaintance.

Her major miracle was appearing to the young man in his dreams while he was in jail, and effecting a radical personality transformation in him by basically telling him that, "look, I don't want you to go to hell, so shape up." When he was released, he sought her mother and begged her forgiveness, then took religious vows and lived the rest of his life as a monk.

I'm convinced St. Maria Goretti reached out to me because she thought I needed to recognize the value of compassion and forgiveness, not just for those who interact with me, but for my own wellbeing.

....I didn't mean to ramble. Sorry.:o

I recently joined an eumentical youth ministry on my campus that's a mix of Episcopalian and Presbytarian. It's great, I grew in conservative Baptism, so Episcopalianism is great for me.
PrincessKLS

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 01:46:15 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;158093
Which god though and technically, Jesus is different from God of the bible.

Depends on the theology involved. Trinitarian monotheism is still monotheism.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Earthworm

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 02:59:01 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;157789
I dress like someone coming out of church. (A really conservative church that makes women wear very modest skirts.) I just never got into the whole 'dress like a goth with too much crushed velvet in their wardrobe' thing.

I've been goth for many years now. Back when I was a Christian, a lot of people asked me if I was a witch. A young man would come around my place of business and try to ask me about witchcraft, ESP, how to do spells or make a book of shadows, etc. The day I told him I wasn't a witch he took a good long look at me and said "Oh. Nice cross," which incidentally was a massive black-jeweled cross I was only wearing for gothic aestheticy purposes. I think most goths have experienced this kind of thing more than once.

Now, when I go to pagan-type gatherings and make new pagan friends, I frequently get the feeling that people there are trying to coddle me as if I were very inexperienced, unread, or very young. People often assume I'm younger than I am because they think an adult should have gotten over their "phase". I think there is also a fear that I'm about to ask when the baby sacrifices will be held.

It's amusing and sometimes disheartening that the mainstream thinks "that's a witch" and so many pagans think "that's someone who has absolutely no idea what paganism is about," and both perspectives are pretty much based on the same stereotype.
"A driving thirst for knowledge is the forerunner of wisdom." -Robert Cochrane

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 10:21:51 pm »
Quote from: Sage;158104
Depends on the theology involved. Trinitarian monotheism is still monotheism.

True I don't really go by that. I think God and Jesus' personalities are too different for them to be the same entities or people.
PrincessKLS

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 10:31:03 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;158184
True I don't really go by that. I think God and Jesus' personalities are too different for them to be the same entities or people.
I could never get passed Jesus asking God, "Why have you forsaken me?" If Jesus was God, then who's he talking to? And every time I brought up points like that, I was basically shouted down.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 10:31:31 pm by Cabal »
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Tags: