Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Natib Qadish  (Read 1474 times)

Hipporadish

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Natib Qadish
« on: August 30, 2014, 02:36:26 pm »
I have just ordered a book on this form of paganism which is Canaanite Paganism. Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this? Could offer advice or guidance as to blending some of these beliefs with Buddhism and wicca or if they are incompatible.

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Natib Qadish
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 07:24:34 pm »
Quote from: Hipporadish;157701
I have just ordered a book on this form of paganism which is Canaanite Paganism. Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this? Could offer advice or guidance as to blending some of these beliefs with Buddhism and wicca or if they are incompatible.

Sorry, I don't have any helpful info for you. Maybe another member will.

I do hope that after you've had a chance to read the book you'll share with us what you've learned. I'd love to hear about it.
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 08:07:56 pm »

I don't have any experience with that exact system, but I do work extensively with the Caananite pantheon. I can't speak for the system, but I can speak for MY experiences of the Caananite gods.

That said, the specific group, at least from a cursory poking around on the internet, seems to be reconstructionalist in a way my experiences aren't, so I can hardly speak for the style of practice. Hopefully you can take something from my experiences anyway.

Ok, disclaimers out of the way...

I've never had problems integrating work with Caananite gods with other practices. El and Asherah (chief god and goddess of the pantheon) at the "top" of their heap so to speak, can integrate with Wiccan thoughts, in a way, but understand it'll require flexibility with both paradigms.

The philosophical portions of Buddhism mesh just fine, but similar mental flexibility would be required to integrate Buddhist cosmology. Personally, I would draw parallels between the various aspects of the Buddha and the Baalim, but I'll admit that I don't know a whole lot about Buddhism, so that's just my initial impression.

Adding that the specific path is more reconstructionalist or revivalist than mine YMMV, but I've actually found the Caananite pantheon to be surprisingly flexible.

I'm hardly an expert though, but hopefully this gets conversation started.
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 09:01:08 pm »
Quote from: random417;157735
The philosophical portions of Buddhism mesh just fine, but similar mental flexibility would be required to integrate Buddhist cosmology. Personally, I would draw parallels between the various aspects of the Buddha and the Baalim, but I'll admit that I don't know a whole lot about Buddhism, so that's just my initial impression.

I'd love to hear more about how you think these parallel. I understand that you don't consider yourself an expert in Buddhism, but I don't know enough about the Baalim to draw it out for myself.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:35:45 pm »
Quote from: Jack;157744
I'd love to hear more about how you think these parallel. I understand that you don't consider yourself an expert in Buddhism, but I don't know enough about the Baalim to draw it out for myself.
Mind you, this is MY incorporation of a belief/practice that didn't exist for the ancient Caananites, at least as far as I can tell. I draw a lot from them, including quite a few aspects of my personal pantheon, but I'm hardly a revivalist or reconstructionalist.

The Baalim could be (very loosely, Hebrew is my magical language, but I can't quite be said to speak it) translated as Lords or possibly Lords and Ladies. Usually it referred mostly to local gods. There's hints at some of them having once been human, but I can't quite verify that for sure.

When I was liking for a place to put concepts like ascended masters, saints, demigods and the like, my mind kept going back to the story of Prince Aquat (Akkat, ect, different letters). Aquat kind of... merges with or becomes an agricultural Baal towards the end of the story. I went to the source, so I did the translation myself, so I'm sure it's pretty sloppy.

It was enough for me to put acended masters (which is my understanding of the Buddha) in with the Baalim.

The other option is to not lump them together, but I think due to foreign gods  becoming Baal of the (insert foreign culture here), and my parallel with ascended masters, it would be enough that that's where I'd put them.
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 02:37:48 pm »
Quote from: Jack;157744

As revivalist as Natib seems to be, it may not fit for the OP, but without the revivalist aspects, I probably wouldn't worry about integration that much

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 02:45:14 pm »

Forum member Celeste/OpenHands (I don't remember which was her second name, nor if she changed again) is one of the movers in Natib Qadish.  You might search her name and look for her posts.

It's possible it's her book you're bought.  She blogs at Kina'ani.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Tags:

Beginner Area

Warning: You are currently in a Beginner Friendly area of the message board.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 191
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal