Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Veles UPG/Doxa?  (Read 3769 times)

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
Veles UPG/Doxa?
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:19:59 am »
The god I primarily deal with is Veles and the course of doing so, I've developed a fair amount of UPG about him to the point that a lot of my practice and beliefs are informed by this. It does seem to match a lot of what's out there regarding him, but sometimes I wonder what other people have experienced too.

If anyone would like to share their UPG or doxa regarding Veles, I'd love to hear it.

As for some of my UPG, I associate him with multiple things, but they often seem to come down to rivers and the movement of water in the end. To me, his underworld is a place filled with rivers and that underground rivers and the caves that can lead to them are a major part of this. His commerce aspect also connects to this as rivers have been and are still major highways for the transport of goods (cattle can also be connected to his commerce side as well since they are movable goods and indicators of wealth). As for his magician/witchcraft side, I'm still trying to figure out exactly how rivers connect, but perhaps that is more related to the underground aspect of things.

I also think he has some kind of connection with Velinas from the Baltic states. I'm a bit of a squishy polytheist in which if a god I'm interacting with says that yes, they are the same as x, then I tend to believe them, but otherwise treat them as separate entities. It mostly seems to me in this case though that they are the same, but different? Like I deal with the face that feels like Veles for the most part and that there's a face that feels more like Velinas, but I haven't interacted with it very much.

I'm still mostly working it out, but it seems like there is at least some kind of overlap.

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Veles UPG/Doxa?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 05:34:50 am »
Quote from: Tom;157674
The god I primarily deal with is Veles and the course of doing so, I've developed a fair amount of UPG about him to the point that a lot of my practice and beliefs are informed by this. It does seem to match a lot of what's out there regarding him, but sometimes I wonder what other people have experienced too.

If anyone would like to share their UPG or doxa regarding Veles, I'd love to hear it.

As for some of my UPG, I associate him with multiple things, but they often seem to come down to rivers and the movement of water in the end. To me, his underworld is a place filled with rivers and that underground rivers and the caves that can lead to them are a major part of this. His commerce aspect also connects to this as rivers have been and are still major highways for the transport of goods (cattle can also be connected to his commerce side as well since they are movable goods and indicators of wealth). As for his magician/witchcraft side, I'm still trying to figure out exactly how rivers connect, but perhaps that is more related to the underground aspect of things.

I also think he has some kind of connection with Velinas from the Baltic states. I'm a bit of a squishy polytheist in which if a god I'm interacting with says that yes, they are the same as x, then I tend to believe them, but otherwise treat them as separate entities. It mostly seems to me in this case though that they are the same, but different? Like I deal with the face that feels like Veles for the most part and that there's a face that feels more like Velinas, but I haven't interacted with it very much.

I'm still mostly working it out, but it seems like there is at least some kind of overlap.

I associate rivers with Veles, I recall trying to do a meditation about walking down stairs to the underworld(type thing) and there was an insistence that there should be water involved here. I keep a skull money box on my shrine that is a nod to his commerce aspects. Magic work is something I associate also, though that's pretty standard to my knowledge.

More on the UPG/doxa side, for me there's some kind of connection between Baba Yaga and Veles, but I've not really teased it out heaps.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

SirMathias007

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Veles UPG/Doxa?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 10:00:07 pm »
Quote from: Tom;157674

Im new to the Slavic pagan religion but im really fitting in. Veles is the god I feel most connected to. A month ago I went into a sensory depervation tank. It put me into a forced meditation. I feel that I went somewhere. It could be just the effects of the tank, I want to avoid Fluffy Bunny Syndrome, but it felt quite real.

I appeared under a wooden gazeebo type shelter. It sat in a thick wooded forest with a trail right in front of me. I got up and walked down the trail, multiple snakes came out of the woods and slithered down the trail with me. At one point the snakes went back into the woods. A large bearded man with a horned helmet came out of the woods. He then began to talk to me.

He said he was Veles, and told me he was glad I found him.  We talked about multiple things, but there were two things he was insistant about. Gardening. He really wanted me to work on my garden and stay connected with plants. The other thing was he told me to avoid spiders. He didnt say it in a way as "Dont go near a spider ever" but more like "If any signs of spiders appear in your life, be careful." I found Veles due to odd situations Ive had with snakes. I believe he is saying that if that happens with spiders I need to be wary. Im not sure.

So Im not sure about my UPG. I feel spiders are somehow not good with Veles, and gardening but I know he is a god of nature so thats not exactly UPG. I just wanted to share my experience since we both seem to have a connection with Veles. He seems like a wise and great being. Im glad I have found him.

Tags: