collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Tranceportation Ch 2  (Read 2282 times)

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Tranceportation Ch 2
« on: August 29, 2014, 12:13:48 pm »
Tranceportation Ch 2

I’m not going to write a lot here, i just want to hang something so we can start discussion  the next chapter

I’m thinking that people might not want to comment straight away as most of the chapter is exercises that need practice and build up before someone knows what works and what doesn't.

How many of the exercises have you done from this chapter? what are your thoughts  on them?

Also I'm thinking that as this is pretty foundational stuff that will need to be secure enough if we want to build on it do we want to take longer on this chapter? Like give it until Octobers new moon?
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
Re: Tranceportation Ch 2
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 05:13:34 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;157592
Tranceportation Ch 2

I’m not going to write a lot here, i just want to hang something so we can start discussion  the next chapter

I’m thinking that people might not want to comment straight away as most of the chapter is exercises that need practice and build up before someone knows what works and what doesn't.

How many of the exercises have you done from this chapter? what are your thoughts  on them?

Also I'm thinking that as this is pretty foundational stuff that will need to be secure enough if we want to build on it do we want to take longer on this chapter? Like give it until Octobers new moon?

That'd give us almost two months to read through the chapter and learn, practice, and get comfortable with the exercises. I think that would be a suitable amount of time.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 11:46:20 am »
Quote from: Amber Seal;157605
That'd give us almost two months to read through the chapter and learn, practice, and get comfortable with the exercises. I think that would be a suitable amount of time.

I read through the chapter and copied out the exercises (anything I want to memorize I find works better on paper)  Looks like there are 7 exercises and the end of chapter questions were suggesting a week on many of them so 2 months sounds like a good amount of time.

I'm kind of excited about some of these.  I always love seeing new ways to do what I consider core practices.  While I do ground and center (though I really dislike the terms personally...I struggled for a long time with these because the terms just didn't mesh well with me) daily, because of my rocky start with them I always relish new ways to approach them.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 12:52:45 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;157592

How's everyone doing? I planned to do one exercise per week and this is week three for me. I haven't been as good as I would like about setting time aside to repeat the exercises, but I've managed to do the first two at least twice each.

I've actually been re-evaluating my basic shielding after doing the preparatory work for the first exercise. I typically use a fairly complicated visualization, but I figured I might as well try Paxson's way since we are following her program, and I was surprised to find I rather like the simple "bubble of light." It feels kind of ... lighter? I guess? I may start keeping the old one just for those occasions that need something quite substantial.

Any other thoughts on the first few exercises?
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 08:05:39 am »
Quote from: beachglass;159919
How's everyone doing? I planned to do one exercise per week and this is week three for me. I haven't been as good as I would like about setting time aside to repeat the exercises, but I've managed to do the first two at least twice each.

I've actually been re-evaluating my basic shielding after doing the preparatory work for the first exercise. I typically use a fairly complicated visualization, but I figured I might as well try Paxson's way since we are following her program, and I was surprised to find I rather like the simple "bubble of light." It feels kind of ... lighter? I guess? I may start keeping the old one just for those occasions that need something quite substantial.

I was just thinking about this last night.  I've been pretty lax, but I've been in an odd place mental for a couple of weeks, so pretty much everything that isn't 'mandatory' in my life has taken a back shelf.  I've mostly memorized the one big passage that I wanted to out of this chapter, but haven't done much beyond that.  Definitely need to get back into it, will probably work on it later today.

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 11:03:59 am »
Quote from: Kylara;160108
I was just thinking about this last night.  I've been pretty lax, but I've been in an odd place mental for a couple of weeks, so pretty much everything that isn't 'mandatory' in my life has taken a back shelf.  I've mostly memorized the one big passage that I wanted to out of this chapter, but haven't done much beyond that.  Definitely need to get back into it, will probably work on it later today.

I had a bit of an odd experience yesterday, with my copy of the book transporting (hah) itself to a hidden place in my car.  I've also been a little less than diligent about cracking it open and doing the exercises, though; somehow there seemed to always be something else more urgent to deal with.

Some life changes set in motion on Monday will hopefully reduce the amount of low-importance high-urgency interruptions, and I'm going to try to make time for some reading and practice this evening.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 01:59:11 am »
How's everyone doing?

Ugh, crap. I've done jack all. Between work and the various shows I've been involved in just... blaaahhh excuses excuses. Going to try harder starting tomorrow.

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 02:05:17 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;160306
Ugh, crap. I've done jack all. Between work and the various shows I've been involved in just... blaaahhh excuses excuses. Going to try harder starting tomorrow.

Same here. School's kept me busy.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 02:26:10 am »

Doing some of the exercises that you can do anywhere, like feeling the pull of gravity as a form of grounding, has been very interesting. I haven't yet done the ones that require more focused work, but I'll try to do those before time's up!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 10:15:15 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;160310
Doing some of the exercises that you can do anywhere, like feeling the pull of gravity as a form of grounding, has been very interesting. I haven't yet done the ones that require more focused work, but I'll try to do those before time's up!

I re-read the grounding/centering/shielding part of the chapter again.  One thing I really like is that there are lots of simple and quick ways presented (not everything is a huge involved thing that needs a big chunk of time or special place).  

I appreciated the explanation of grounding/centering as pulling yourself firmly into the here and now.  I think that the quote by Ember was excellent, where they talk about how scattered our mind can be, and the power of bringing our attention back to the self (both before and after working).  

I also thought the bit that talked about how grounding in different areas would yield different results was an idea I haven't seen talked about much in other sources.  But I think it is a really good point, and I have definitely felt myself off kilter in different places.  Most recently, I toured the Iowa (battleship), and even though there were no big clues that the ship was moving on the water, every time I stepped into the interior (where I couldn't see the horizon), I felt like I was about to fall over.  I was so very glad to be back on solid ground after that!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 10:46:59 am »
How's everyone doing?

Thought I'd give this thread another poke :)

I ended up swapping my normal morning shielding for the Journey Charm one (only slightly reworded).  I do a lot of my work already with Norse deities, so this one really appealed to me.

I also really like the second balancing chant (the first one is pretty, but I feel it better represents a simple circle rather than balancing.

I also find that I don't like doing grounding and then balancing or the other way around, but rather I tend to mix them together.  It always feels like I have to repeat otherwise.  If I ground first and then balance, I may need to add/release energy again from parts that were out of balance.  If I balance first, then ground, it still feels like I need to balance again (like parts of me fill up too much instead of evenly).  So I almost always kind of open myself up to the grounding process and then balance/center then when I feel things are where they need to be I close the grounding.

Am probably going to start working with the awareness and relaxation exercises this coming week.  I've done some of them a lot before (the tense/release one especially and variations of it).

So how is everyone else coming along?  Any thoughts?  Things that worked well or not so well?

Sisu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 11:25:00 am »
Quote from: Kylara;161908
Thought I'd give this thread another poke :)

I ended up swapping my normal morning shielding for the Journey Charm one (only slightly reworded).  I do a lot of my work already with Norse deities, so this one really appealed to me.

I also really like the second balancing chant (the first one is pretty, but I feel it better represents a simple circle rather than balancing.

I also find that I don't like doing grounding and then balancing or the other way around, but rather I tend to mix them together.  It always feels like I have to repeat otherwise.  If I ground first and then balance, I may need to add/release energy again from parts that were out of balance.  If I balance first, then ground, it still feels like I need to balance again (like parts of me fill up too much instead of evenly).  So I almost always kind of open myself up to the grounding process and then balance/center then when I feel things are where they need to be I close the grounding.

Am probably going to start working with the awareness and relaxation exercises this coming week.  I've done some of them a lot before (the tense/release one especially and variations of it).

So how is everyone else coming along?  Any thoughts?  Things that worked well or not so well?

Reply mostly to bookmark at the moment. But life has been insanely busy for me the past few weeks between work and family (mostly work) that I haven't had time to dedicate towards Tranceportation. I'm not sure the situation is really going to improve since I have a big conference coming up so maybe I just need to schedule it into my calendar to force myself to have time for it. X_X

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 11:01:11 pm »

I actually ended up liking the first one better in practice, though I preferred the second one on my initial read through. I think it's the rhythm/rhyming, rather than the actual word content, that speaks better to me.

I'm moving along, though I had hoped to get outside and find a tree today and of course it's raining buckets!

"Extending awareness" has been giving me the most trouble; I can do everything according to the instructions, but I just don't really feel like my awareness actually shifts. It just feels like I'm focusing on "over there" from "right here," not so much that my awareness actually goes "over there."
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 01:15:54 pm »
Quote from: Sisu;161914
Reply mostly to bookmark at the moment. But life has been insanely busy for me the past few weeks between work and family (mostly work) that I haven't had time to dedicate towards Tranceportation. I'm not sure the situation is really going to improve since I have a big conference coming up so maybe I just need to schedule it into my calendar to force myself to have time for it. X_X

This is sort of why I ended up working it into my regular daily routine....I found that by trying to work on the exercises at other times I never ended up doing them.

Some of them are short enough you could try to tie the practice into other normal activities (grounding everytime you wash your hands, shielding with your morning cup of coffee, centering when you shower).  I've known a fair amount of people who work small practices like this into their bathroom breaks (because it's the one time they have a moment of alone time).

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 12:29:45 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;161956
I actually ended up liking the first one better in practice, though I preferred the second one on my initial read through. I think it's the rhythm/rhyming, rather than the actual word content, that speaks better to me.

I'm moving along, though I had hoped to get outside and find a tree today and of course it's raining buckets!

"Extending awareness" has been giving me the most trouble; I can do everything according to the instructions, but I just don't really feel like my awareness actually shifts. It just feels like I'm focusing on "over there" from "right here," not so much that my awareness actually goes "over there."

While the idea of the chants/ritual wordings is appealing to me, the exact wordings are feeling All Sorts Of Wrong.  I'm not yet sure what right feels like, so I've mostly been focusing on doing the grounding & centering bits 'silently', as it were.

My life has also been awfully hectic (as per usual), but there have been a couple of days in particular that the practice drifted up and helped me get a grip on what otherwise would have been a very messy tempermental explosion.  So that's progress, I suppose.

Still working on making it regular practice; definitely starting to feel more familiar, but I'm still not up to the level of consistency that I'm aiming for.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

Tags: