Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Smiley testing  (Read 3568 times)

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Smiley testing
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:13:42 pm »
[attach=CONFIG][/attach]

Here is a possible replacement spam smiley. Hot off the press. I took the existing one and both spiffed it up and used a "standardized" smiley face.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Smiley testing
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 06:47:16 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;157404
[attach=CONFIG][/attach]

Here is a possible replacement spam smiley. Hot off the press. I took the existing one and both spiffed it up and used a "standardized" smiley face.

TC strongly prefers non-animated smileys. I think we have one that is animated and I had to be persauaded to allow it.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:59:13 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;157481
TC strongly prefers non-animated smileys. I think we have one that is animated and I had to be persauaded to allow it.

The original was animated, so I assumed that would be okay.  Kinda removes the point of having it, so eh...nevermind.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 07:28:00 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;157486
The original was animated, so I assumed that would be okay.  Kinda removes the point of having it, so eh...nevermind.

The problem with animated smileys is two-fold. First, the file size. The original was animated and is 24K. Yours looks far better but is 34K, almost one-third larger. :(

Second, many people find animation distracting when the focus is to be on text. So we try to limit them to ones that aren't used much.

The Spam one isn't used much but unless you can get the file size dnow to 25K or less (LESS is better), I think we'd have to stay with what we have.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:53:32 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;157490
The problem with animated smileys is two-fold. First, the file size. The original was animated and is 24K. Yours looks far better but is 34K, almost one-third larger. :(

Second, many people find animation distracting when the focus is to be on text. So we try to limit them to ones that aren't used much.

The Spam one isn't used much but unless you can get the file size dnow to 25K or less (LESS is better), I think we'd have to stay with what we have.

The one I linked hadn't been optimized as I was fishing for an opinion first.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:41:42 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;157493
The one I linked hadn't been optimized as I was fishing for an opinion first.

If you can optimize it, we can probably use it. As I said, it's definitely an improvement over the current spam smiley.
Randall

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 09:23:45 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;157526
If you can optimize it, we can probably use it. As I said, it's definitely an improvement over the current spam smiley.

Yes, I do like it, and hope it can be sufficiently optimized.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 239
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal