collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: I wish there was a tv/web series out there for us  (Read 2207 times)

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
I wish there was a tv/web series out there for us
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:02:05 pm »
I love a good fantasy story, but all the tv and movies witches and Wiccas I see out there all have Hollywood magic.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Charmed
    Bewitched
    Supernatural (? I haven't watched much of it, but it probably fits the type)
    Practical Magic
    The Craft
    Switch
    TWitches
    The Wizard of Oz...

I love them dearly and enjoy watching them but where, oh where are the Wiccas and Witches being represented on-screen without the help of CGI?

I've even contemplated WRITING one of my own and seeing if friends can't help me produce my own web-series at least but I can never think of the right story to tell that just happens to be about witches (And that in itself is generic - what about any shows or characters who are openly Pagan?). The closest I've come is writing stories that include a character (who happens to be a witch, herself).

Are there any obscure ones out there that put my complaints to rest? Anyone else feel like grumbling?

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: I wish there was a tv/web series out there for us
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 02:11:30 pm »
Quote from: Queen of Wands;157400

Uh, I'm mostly here to grumble, but I will say that Supernatural differentiates between the witches the hunters hunt and Wiccans/Pagans pretty well. I still despise their treatment of Pagan gods, but no CGI when it comes to Wiccans. So that's not...horrible? I still can't watch any of the episodes that handle that, though.

But yeah, it's gotten to the point where I just can't watch anything witch-related because I end up yelling at the computer.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 02:32:23 pm »
I love a good fantasy story, but all the tv and movies witches and Wiccas I see out there all have Hollywood magic.

I love them dearly and enjoy watching them but where, oh where are the Wiccas and Witches being represented on-screen without the help of CGI?

I think part of the problem for drama/entertainment purposes is that being an everyday witch generally isn't very interesting from the outside. Things I do practically that are informed by or about my witch craft: giving offering to my gods, keeping my house clean, gardening, reading/researching, talking to people online, doing tedious and boring but important community stuff, building relationships. And even the stuff that is more overtly "witchy" like meditation or spell work doesn't look very interesting from the outside.

And I honestly don't think that would make a good TV program
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 03:29:26 pm »

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Charmed
    Bewitched
    Practical Magic
    The Craft
    Switch
    TWitches
    The Wizard of Oz...

I've even contemplated WRITING one of my own and seeing if friends can't help me produce my own web-series at least but I can never think of the right story to tell that just happens to be about witches (And that in itself is generic - what about any shows or characters who are openly Pagan?). The closest I've come is writing stories that include a character (who happens to be a witch, herself).

Are there any obscure ones out there that put my complaints to rest? Anyone else feel like grumbling?

Ask anybody whose Profession has been the subject of a t.v. show and you will mostly get the same response ( possibly even more cringes and groans).

The law of LCD ( lowest common denominator) will always exit in things like T.V. because in order to get and keep sponsors, they have to appeal to the widest possible audience .
Very, very few (demographically speaking) people are aware of let alone involved with pagan issues. That being the case, the writers/producers take what little is in the common culture and try to make it exciting/sexy/immediate to their audiences.

So I just enjoy what's out there realizing it's fiction and I don't try to draw comparisons between what I watch on popular media and my real life.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 05:00:14 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;157415

And I honestly don't think that would make a good TV program

True. Although a program that centers around a witch doesn't have to center around witchcraft. (Did that make any sense? I'm having a weird day where nobody understands what I'm trying to say).
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:01:24 pm »
Quote from: carillion;157425
Ask anybody whose Profession has been the subject of a t.v. show and you will mostly get the same response ( possibly even more cringes and groans).

The law of LCD ( lowest common denominator) will always exit in things like T.V. because in order to get and keep sponsors, they have to appeal to the widest possible audience .
Very, very few (demographically speaking) people are aware of let alone involved with pagan issues. That being the case, the writers/producers take what little is in the common culture and try to make it exciting/sexy/immediate to their audiences.

So I just enjoy what's out there realizing it's fiction and I don't try to draw comparisons between what I watch on popular media and my real life.

I wonder how many people went into archaeology because of Harrison Ford? :)

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 05:43:11 pm »
Quote from: Queen of Wands;157455
I wonder how many people went into archaeology because of Harrison Ford? :)

:) And got out again when they found themselves in the freezing rain or baking desert painfully clearing a grid area with a toothbrush.

I actually think inspiration and aspiration can be found in surprising places. Also, just plain 'unmeaningful' pleasure.

I used to be such a snob about what I watched if it ventured into areas spiritual/pagan etc. Then I decided to check out 'Supernatural'. It started a long time ago and I'd never even heard of it! So my friend and I started marathon streaming them and while they stuttered a bit in the beginning, when they start exploring themes of standard representations of 'good' and 'evil' and demonstrating the grey areas around it, I was entranced! And while I can see where some would take offense at their takes on certain mythologies, it's no different than the myriad of subjective views people express. I assume people don't think that because it's on T.V., it's *true*.  

It's also got high production values and I love the craft of cinematography.

And who could hate anyone who gives this personification and introduction to death:

Fabulous.

Earthworm

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 05:47:43 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;157454
True. Although a program that centers around a witch doesn't have to center around witchcraft. (Did that make any sense? I'm having a weird day where nobody understands what I'm trying to say).

I get what you're saying. Usually on TV any kind of deviant character is defined by their deviance and their part of the story revolves around it because it's the deviance that's exciting to the audience, and it's generally refreshing to see a character whose deviance isn't a Big Deal, and who is a well-rounded character rather than one defined by one unusual trait.

I think sometimes the realism of TV magic depends on how one interprets what one is seeing. Sometimes (when people aren't getting thrown across the room etc.) it's possible to view the CGI effects as something you are seeing through the character's eyes or as the character's feeling converted to visual form, like natural sounds are converted to words for the purpose of writing. I think there are much better ways to say this, but I'm failing to find them right now.

As far as Supernatural witches go, there was an episode centered on a coven in which Dean said something like "I hate witches! They're always getting their bodily fluids everywhere!", which gave me many giggles because in my case this is pretty true.

What about Holly and the coven in season 4[?] of TrueBlood? I thought the scene where Holly did a spell for Arlene was decent. Of course, it wouldn't have been very entertaining without Arlene there to have comic misunderstandings and such.
"A driving thirst for knowledge is the forerunner of wisdom." -Robert Cochrane

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 06:01:58 pm »
Quote from: carillion;157462

And who could hate anyone who gives this personification and introduction to death:

Fabulous.

Out of all nine seasons, that is my favorite scene.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 06:11:53 pm »
Quote from: Earthworm;157464

I think sometimes the realism of TV magic depends on how one interprets what one is seeing. Sometimes (when people aren't getting thrown across the room etc.) it's possible to view the CGI effects as something you are seeing through the character's eyes or as the character's feeling converted to visual form, like natural sounds are converted to words for the purpose of writing. I think there are much better ways to say this, but I'm failing to find them right now.

I get how you're putting it.

I'd like to see TV that shows us different things based on which character's "viewpoint" we're watching from.

Jeezum, now I want to write a script.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 10:20:09 am »

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Charmed
    Bewitched
    Practical Magic
    The Craft
    Switch
    TWitches
    The Wizard of Oz...

I recently saw a documentary called American Mystic and they talked to a witch. Problem was they addressed several people and the story was cut up and not very in depth. I think it's hard to do a tv show about witchcraft without it being boring to outsiders. I would be happy with a person who happens to be pagan or a witch and seeing their altars in shots. But that's a high hope. A web series would be cool.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 11:40:02 am »

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Charmed
    Bewitched
    Practical Magic
    The Craft
    Switch
    TWitches
    The Wizard of Oz...

I watched "The Good Witch's Garden" a while back, and found it to be pretty realistic...in fact that is one of the things I liked about it.  Apparently there is a whole series of Good Witch movies.

I agree, that while I do really enjoy some of the fantastical witchy movies, it would be nice to see a more realistic portrayal.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 01:15:30 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;157589
I watched "The Good Witch's Garden" a while back, and found it to be pretty realistic...in fact that is one of the things I liked about it.  Apparently there is a whole series of Good Witch movies.

Where'd you find that? I'd like to watch it.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 11:52:48 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;157595
Where'd you find that? I'd like to watch it.

I watched it on Netflix, but it looks like it is no longer there :(  It looks like the first movie is on Hulu (it seems to be in the free for everyone category)  I'm not familiar or comfortable with other sites that let you watch online, but you might be able to find it around (I didn't see a way to watch it on the Hallmark site)

Apparently they are Hallmark movies (and I just read that Hallmark is planning on turning it into a tv series with 10 episodes in the first season...and that the 7th movie is coming out on October 25 on Hallmark)
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Tags: