collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: What Made You Start Blogging?  (Read 3965 times)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
What Made You Start Blogging?
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:59:02 am »
So I'd like to talk about writing: specifically, writing for blogs. I've had my own blog Sage and Starshine since May 2011; before that I had another blog called Dancing with Owls on Blogspot. (The name of my blog, coincidentally, is where I got the name Sage from; when we switched to the current forums in July 2011 it just sounded cooler to go by Sage rather than my original name. :D:)

Here are some questions I'd like to pose to other bloggers (and potential bloggers) on TC:

• What blogs do you currently run?
  • Have you been thinking of creating other blogs?
  • Why did you decide to start blogging?
  • What made you decide to keep blogging?
Feel free to answer all or none of these questions in your response. :)
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: What Made You Start Blogging?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 10:06:26 am »
Quote from: Sage;157389

I'll answer my own questions because I'm cool like that.

I've always wanted To Be A Writer since I was very small. I've written just about everything over the years: fiction, fanfiction, poetry, chants, essays, academic papers, even co-writing a stage play this one time. It's something I enjoy and something I feel I'm really good at.

When I started Sage and Starshine in May 2011 I wanted a way to keep track of my spiritual life. A blog seemed like a good way to stay accountable. At the time I was with ADF and working through the Dedicant Path, which requires a certain number of essays and reflections to complete. As I was a solitary Druid with ADF, blogging seemed like a good way for me to share my religious experience.

I've gone through stages of posting a lot and not posting at all; I've been in a posting kick recently, especially the past few months. I had the dissolution of a long-term relationship at the end of January and blogging has helped me process some of those feelings.

I keep writing for the pageviews. Not even gonna lie. One of the greatest feelings as a writer is to see my work getting out there. As they say in the fanfiction world, comments are my lifeblood. Besides the obvious hubris involved, there's something really nice about knowing my writing touched someone enough for them to link to or click the like button.

I have been thinking about starting a Pagan book review blog and even have it set up, but I'm waffling over actually having a separate blog or making it part of Sage and Starshine or... so many decisions and possibilities.
I shall endure.

Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:21:20 am »

1. I run 2 blogs: my Blog of Mythic Proportions, which is for my esoteric pagan-y ponderings about myth today, and Your Sacrificial Moviegoer, where I write pithy 4- or 5-sentence movie reviews...because I see a lot of movies.

2. NO! I can barely keep regular with the 2 blogs I have now, let alone add more.

3. I started blogging because supposedly authors have to do that (along with Twitter, Facebook, etc.) to promote their work; and since I'll be self-publishing my first book in early 2015, I figured I should get going on the social media presence. Because I'm really crappy at the whole social media self-promotion thing.

4. I keep blogging, albeit irregularly, because I surprised myself by actually having something to say. For example, my very first post in the Blog of Mythic Proportions forced me to convey the reason for myth in a way I'd never quite thought through before. And I was doing the movie reviews on my personal Facebook page anyway, so moving them to a blog just made them more accessible.

Quote from: Sage;157390

I have been thinking about starting a Pagan book review blog

Please do! That way you can review my book when it comes out! (I'm going to need all the help I can get...)
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:39:29 am »
What blogs do you currently run?

- Psionics blog, inactive (awaiting activity, maybe) with lucid dreams and out-of-body experiences
- Fiction blogs that are basically online dream boards or online scrapbooks and drafts/notes of novels I have in mind, private, and as many of them as I have muses that I take seriously, which is about...5, rarely updated, and I wondered if I wasn't writing about what I would one day be writing more than actually writing
- General writing about writing blog
- Culinary blog, got really excited about it month before last but I think that's waning
- Nonlucid dreams blog, bit patchy but relatively steady
- Tarot readings and daily draws blog

Have you been thinking of creating other blogs?

I really want to consolidate my belief system into some sort of grimoire already, but the words and concepts keep very, very slightly changing.

I've also returned to paper when it comes to the philosophical pseudo-Jungian analysis of stories, because they might be a bore for other people, but at the same time I keep thinking that the epiphanies that I've come to might help other people if they've helped me so much.

I'd also one day like to run a fandom blog, but...I don't know. I write fanfiction over stuff that I'm over-the-moon about (rarely completed, even more rarely posted anywhere); and I can talk about it with other geeks of the source material, but fandoms just aren't usually blog-shaped to me.

I've also been wondering about starting a vlog. Skits, cartoons, songs, reviews, how-to's...

Why did you decide to start blogging?

I grew up in a family of writers, so even though I wanted to be a scientist (any kind of scientist, really, all science sounded cool to me), writing was around and I didn't even notice that it was a hobby or something that stressed me out to hone because I had this nascent knowledge of all the bad, wrong ways that writing could go.

At grade school my teacher made us all keep journals, and I kept on with the practice even after I left and liked that it would be more private and less structured. Not private enough, though, nothing bad happened but I just thought I'd like it to just be pure data...so I went to blogs because I knew how to clear cookies and think up of passwords that not even I could figure out if I forgot them.

In a strange way, I also thought of these preciously private blogs as proto-social networking, so I happily kept my Livejournal until I realized that my friends and family who I'd give the URL to would actually read it, and then I'd get the writer's equivalent of stage fright and not be able to update anymore. Not even as a private entry. So, I guess I had developed some strange proxy page oscillating attachment style where I was like, "Pay attention to me! Don't look, I'm a monster! Validate my existence! Now I disappear."

...So, your answer sounded pretty similar to mine, except that I don't write for page views. I might write for reference, and I might link it, but my view of page views swings between apathetic and anxious, which is why I don't link it in my signature (anymore).

Mostly, it's privacy and ease of organization...and, now, the multimedia aspects in case I decide to illustrate a feature, or photograph something relevant, or just talk into a voice recorder instead and keep the file online somewhere close to its context.

What made you decide to keep blogging?

I wish I knew. I'm very prone to dedicating hours to hammering out entries, and then looking back on it all, deciding it's junk, and deleting them.

When I was on a psionic path, that was less emotive and more methodical, so that was the first blog that I kept and kept on keeping because I felt there was some purpose to it, which was basically data collection. Or, maybe it was that I had an idea of standards or structures first and just had to fill it as life happened.

Really, though, it's not always exactly a decision. I kind of toe the line between how I liked to write and how I need to write so much that I've got longhand notepads filled with "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" and "Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs" written in them over and over, which makes no sense to do because those are typing exercises.

On discussion forums, I should hope, and in storytelling well I write if I have something to say. Some of my blogs might just be another outlet for my habit-need to...just...type something. And maybe that's what keeps me going with them.

It's actually sort of strange sometimes, like, I think blogging is about self-expression and then it becomes about communication with a community, which I think of as different things but they combine in a lot of different ways that I usually don't feel like I can keep on top of but can't resist surfing on it anyway because it's not completely awful. I learn new things and meet interesting people.

But data consolidation reference is probably the main thing that keeps me blogging.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 12:41:56 pm »
Quote from: Altair;157394

3. I started blogging because supposedly authors have to do that (along with Twitter, Facebook, etc.) to promote their work; and since I'll be self-publishing my first book in early 2015, I figured I should get going on the social media presence. Because I'm really crappy at the whole social media self-promotion thing.

I'm interested in self-promotion too, as well as building a social media presence - though that last part has fallen by the wayside. (I keep waffling on whether I want to have one singular identity for my writing or to separate the Pagan from the not-so-Pagan parts of things.)

You know, this past semester I took a class on searching for my library science degree and we had to pick a research topic. With Morag helping out as my "client" I started tracking down information on promoting one's work and becoming more involved on social media, all that good stuff. If you're interested I can dig up those results and share them on TC.

4. I keep blogging, albeit irregularly, because I surprised myself by actually having something to say. For example, my very first post in the Blog of Mythic Proportions forced me to convey the reason for myth in a way I'd never quite thought through before.

I've found that true for myself as well. Blogging has made me more confident not only as a writer, but also in owning my spiritual experiences. Plus it's always helpful to explain things to other people; sometimes we skip over certain aspects when we think about them in our own minds that, on closer inspection, actually merit a really close analysis.

Please do! That way you can review my book when it comes out! (I'm going to need all the help I can get...)

Haha, fair enough. :) I've been wanting to do more reviews on all the books and such other TC members have put out. We're really a prolific group and I'd like to see that supported.

I'm also slowly amassing a TC Author Bookshelf in my room. It gives me warm fuzzies.
I shall endure.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 12:52:15 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;157395

I really want to consolidate my belief system into some sort of grimoire already, but the words and concepts keep very, very slightly changing.

The great thing about digital writing (as opposed to an IRL Book of Shadows or whatever) is that it's really easy to edit and change things around. I know a few folks who have made their blogs into a growing, dynamic grimoire/BoS/etc. I know that I find the process of putting together these sorts of work to be just as fascinating as the final product itself.

I've also returned to paper when it comes to the philosophical pseudo-Jungian analysis of stories, because they might be a bore for other people, but at the same time I keep thinking that the epiphanies that I've come to might help other people if they've helped me so much.

You'd be surprised what can get an audience. Some of my most personal (and I thought boring) pieces have become my most popular. For example, post #3 in ranking (after the Home/Archive page) is a piece I wrote on menstruation, getting blood drawn, and the Morrigan. Which was just me writing about 'this icky stuff is going on in my life and I'm also working with tM at the moment so here is some quick musings on life.' But apparently there's a market for folks interested in that sort of thing.

Also I've had the recent weird experience of my post being used in a non-Pagan context and attracting tons (relatively speaking) of pageviews. I have a short series of posts called Better Know A Celt, with both posts in this series being my two most popular posts. Recently the Manannan entry was linked in a popular review of some paranormal show that talked about the Celtic underworld. Suddenly I was getting all these hits from entertainment sites and a few from South Korea; every day since then at least one person has at least clicked on my post about Manannan. Go figure, right?

I'd also one day like to run a fandom blog, but...I don't know. I write fanfiction over stuff that I'm over-the-moon about (rarely completed, even more rarely posted anywhere); and I can talk about it with other geeks of the source material, but fandoms just aren't usually blog-shaped to me.

My fandoming isn't really conducive to a blog in this sense either. I mean I have a Tumblr but it doesn't function like my Wordpress blog. I also have an Archive of Our Own account with work up there, but it's not bloggy.

(Also, sorry not to have gone through the rest of your post - I'm at the library on my lunch break and trying to do everything at once.)
I shall endure.

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 01:08:49 pm »

Here are some questions I'd like to pose to other bloggers (and potential bloggers) on TC:

I had an Xanga account in my teens because that was the cool thing to do among my friends. Then I got to college and for my English 101 class, I was required to keep a blog for the whole semester, on any subject I could want. I kept that blog going for the whole four years of college, as a personal journal.

It's probably because I have really messy hand-writing, but I really prefer typing to journaling my thoughts. I like being able to change the font, type, color, add pictures and links as references for myself to look back on. Getting feedback and commentary can be really nice too, to hear that someone else enjoys your writing and how they respond to your experiences.

Now that I've graduated, I decided to create a new blog: Arcana of a Theatre Artist. It's about being myself, openly online: spirituality, sexuality, artistic ambitions, about living at home with my parents post-graduation...I'm starting to get more ambitious, in the vein of some of my favorite bloggers - focus less on myself and more about situations and epiphanies (for example: I wrote a blog post about these re-occurring tarot cards I kept drawing and another post about drawing blank cards).

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 01:19:57 pm »

Currently I have my regular blog, the Little Sea Witch, and my religious path-building blog, MistSeeking.

I also have Red Ink, Black Tea, which is a devotional blog to Djehuty that I haven't updated in a bit. Primarily because I want it to be a resource blog, and I don't have much in the way to offer on that front at the moment.

I've got one waiting in the wings, actually, for whenever I start selling my weaving online. I've no plans for any others, though- I've learned from years of experience that dividing my interests up onto specific, individual blogs makes me write less.

In 1997 my dad taught me enough html to code a Sailor Moon fansite (complete with a pink glittery background and animated text) (I was 11) and after about six months of intermittent poking, I learned how to code multiple links onto one image. I was very proud of myself and decided to make a website to store my journal.

Habit, mostly. When I first started, my father lived 500 or so miles away, and I only got to see him for a week or two during summer vacation- so I would write about my life as a way of keeping him in the loop. I eventually moved my journaling over to LJ, and then to WP, but it always retained the diary-esque recounting of Shit in My Life. It wasn't until high school that I realized it was cathartic, and that going for long periods of time without unloading in writing made me antsy and (more) depressed.

These days? I do appreciate feedback, but I'm lousy about knowing what to say to other people, so I hardly expect anyone to say something to me! I blog to get things out of my head in a coherent fashion- if I can explain them to someone else they've solidified enough to be examined, and having a written record helps me examine, and look back and re-examine. (This tendency is probably the result of having spent half my life in therapy, but it has its uses.)
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 02:00:32 pm »

At the moment I have one blog, rocquelaire, that has everything on it.

I have been thinking about separating out my topics a bit. Possibly having one blog for religious stuff, one for diet and lifestyle stuff and possibly one for writing stuff. That last one is more of a recent idea as I have recently started working on a novel.

The organised part of me feels the need for these all to have their own tidy boxes but at the same time, I feel these strands are all entwined in my life so it's hard to pull them apart. Like I feel that Brighid is a driving force behind the other stuff so it's all kind of religious if that makes sense. Plus, I haven't updated my blog in ages - more of them might just mean I write less.

I'm starting a whole30 on Sept 1st and was thinking about blogging about my progress. Partly to keep myself accountable and partly to give other people who might be thinking about doing it an idea of what it's actually like. So I might start a second blog for that. I guess I'll need to decide soon!

I wanted to increase my internet presence because of my Etsy shop. I'm no good with social media though and my blog fell to the wayside so I guess I didn't do very well at that!

This is trickier. I haven't updated my blog in months so I'm not sure I can say that I have kept blogging but I know that I do still want to. I think partly because it helps me think about things in a clearer fashion. Also it definitely helps my writing.

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 02:02:26 pm »
Quote from: Sage;157397
I'm interested in self-promotion too, as well as building a social media presence - though that last part has fallen by the wayside. (I keep waffling on whether I want to have one singular identity for my writing or to separate the Pagan from the not-so-Pagan parts of things.)

You know, this past semester I took a class on searching for my library science degree and we had to pick a research topic. With Morag helping out as my "client" I started tracking down information on promoting one's work and becoming more involved on social media, all that good stuff. If you're interested I can dig up those results and share them on TC.

I would be really interested in this if it's not too much trouble

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 02:21:01 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;157412
I would be really interested in this if it's not too much trouble

No problem at all! I'm going to be busy until Monday - visiting Dating Person, getting stuff ready for church (oh snap am I in charge this Sunday???) and such - but feel free to PM me with a poke if I don't get to it on Monday.
I shall endure.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 03:35:39 pm »
Quote from: Sage;157397

[snip]

I've been wanting to do more reviews on all the books and such other TC members have put out. We're really a prolific group and I'd like to see that supported.

I'm also slowly amassing a TC Author Bookshelf in my room. It gives me warm fuzzies.

Put me down as another "Hell, yeah!" on wanting to see the results of your research.

And we are dolts if we book-producing Cauldronites don't band together to boost each other's efforts. I was reading something about promoting one's work (in an attempt to give myself a crash course in this stuff I'm so bad at) that mentioned a group of writers forming a cabal of sorts, to amplify each other's voices and help each other out.

I've plugged Morag's work in the Blog of Mythic Proportions, though I'm unaware of any book from her as yet. But I'm saying it officially now: Let's form that cabal.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 03:44:22 pm »
Quote from: Altair;157428
Put me down as another "Hell, yeah!" on wanting to see the results of your research.

And we are dolts if we book-producing Cauldronites don't band together to boost each other's efforts. I was reading something about promoting one's work (in an attempt to give myself a crash course in this stuff I'm so bad at) that mentioned a group of writers forming a cabal of sorts, to amplify each other's voices and help each other out.

I've plugged Morag's work in the Blog of Mythic Proportions, though I'm unaware of any book from her as yet. But I'm saying it officially now: Let's form that cabal.

That sounds like a great idea. Would the cabal be for religious books? Or any books that one of us writes?

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 03:58:11 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;157436
That sounds like a great idea. Would the cabal be for religious books? Or any books that one of us writes?

I would guess that to be most effective, there should be a common focus of interest--which, this being the Cauldron, should probably be books with some pagan connection. A bunch of pagans plugging a romance novel likely won't help anybody reach their target audience (unless the romance is between Isis and Osiris, or somesuch!)

But like I keep admitting, I know squat, so I'm listening for other ideas from you guys.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 04:59:42 pm »

I currently have:
1) My Dreamwidth and LiveJournal accounts (the latter is active since 2001, the former since Dreamwidth started (technically, before Dreamwidth started)

They have almost entirely the same content, due to crossposting (I occaisionally adapt that for specific reasons, like when I was running open salon discussions and wanted to centralise conversation in one place). Most of my entries are locked (i.e. not visible to anyone who isn't on my access list) and they tend to be day to day stuff with an occasional side trips into me ranting (apparently entertainingly) about something.

2) I have a Pagan blog which I rarely write in these days (http://gleewood.org/threshold) because I tend to put things on the Seeking site (which uses WordPress, but is based on a page and category structure - not date centered - rather than a blog one - where there's chronology.)

I'd like to do more timely things there, and yeah, maybe some year.

3) I have a professional blog (I keep my identity streams separate from public search spaces, but it cross-posts into Dreamwidth/LiveJ) which is usually some combination of link roundups, a place to put professional presentations and materials, and whatever else I feel like commenting on in the library field.

(I use it partly as a "Look, I am current with the profession" for professional development and job hunting purposes, as you might guess from this.)

I started during the general online community shift from various places I was spending time to LiveJournal, and then my initial witchcraft training required us to keep a general sort of journal (as well as more specific notes on actual training/workings/etc.) I've found it really useful to both talk things out to people outside my head, and to have a record of stuff from a decade ago.

(One of the reasons the DW/LJ thing works for me is that because of access lists, I'm not talking to the whole world, but I'm talking to a large enough number of people that chances are good someone will be around and have something useful/interesting/helpful to say. So I'm a lot more likely to dump general ramblings there than in email, where I might get someone at a bad time in their particular life.)

I do have a very strong preference for putting most of my content on spaces either I control (I self-host WordPress) or that I am confident are not going to try and directly monetise my content (Dreamwidth has no ads, and it is part of their core business agreement that they will not, ever, for a variety of reasons. I mind ads much less on forums, though I prefer spaces where I can pay money and make them go away.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: