collapse

Author Topic: Candles as offerings and what kind of cheap to buy offerings have you given?  (Read 7858 times)

MarsPrincess

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
My patron deities, Mars Roman God and Fortuna Roman Goddess, are both very happy when I try and burn white tealight candles to honor them almost daily. Across different kinds of religions, I've seen and heard about people giving candles as offerings.

What do you personally know about the significance and importance of candle offerings across cultures and beliefs, especially in paganism?

For me personally, because I work with Mars and Fortuna on clearing my karmic patterns and healing me and balancing my auric field, they do ask for candle offerings because I had some heavy karma going on in my life and they needed a "give and receive" to work on my heavy karma. They did mention something like for the candle offerings I gave them, they could somehow clock more advanced healing work on me as they need to exchange energies to "buy some spiritual tools in the unseen worlds" to help clear my stuff that was weighing me down. I don't know if anyone of you have had this kind of explanation before from your patron deities about needing an exchange of energies (also the giving of offerings included) to be able to do more advanced work with you.

What kinds of offerings have you given to your patron deities that are cheap to buy? I'd love to get some ideas on that because I don't have a lot of money right now but I'd like to over time add more variety to the offerings I give my patron deities.

Well this is my personal experience and I can't say for anyone else for sure but I would love to read about your experiences and similarities in experiences too! :)

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: MarsPrincess;157350
My patron deities, Mars Roman God and Fortuna Roman Goddess, are both very happy when I try and burn white tealight candles to honor them almost daily. Across different kinds of religions, I've seen and heard about people giving candles as offerings.

What do you personally know about the significance and importance of candle offerings across cultures and beliefs, especially in paganism?

For me personally, because I work with Mars and Fortuna on clearing my karmic patterns and healing me and balancing my auric field, they do ask for candle offerings because I had some heavy karma going on in my life and they needed a "give and receive" to work on my heavy karma. They did mention something like for the candle offerings I gave them, they could somehow clock more advanced healing work on me as they need to exchange energies to "buy some spiritual tools in the unseen worlds" to help clear my stuff that was weighing me down. I don't know if anyone of you have had this kind of explanation before from your patron deities about needing an exchange of energies (also the giving of offerings included) to be able to do more advanced work with you.

What kinds of offerings have you given to your patron deities that are cheap to buy? I'd love to get some ideas on that because I don't have a lot of money right now but I'd like to over time add more variety to the offerings I give my patron deities.

Well this is my personal experience and I can't say for anyone else for sure but I would love to read about your experiences and similarities in experiences too! :)

I don't do all my work with gods, I do a lot of angel work too, but the gods I do work with, there's foods that they like, I can usually scrape together enough money to feed them, either a thing traditionally sacred, or something that I would eat if I wanted something that was a sacred food, but couldn't afford it.

I also offer alcohol regularly... seems to work well for me, but I keep that a special occasion thing. I don't have all the money in the world either.
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com

Just a quick response for now: I have a giant bag of tiny white tealights I bought at a craft store for ~$3.50 USD. It average out to maybe ten cents a candle. Offerings tend to be food that's already in my house, candles I already have, and prayers or chants that I created myself.

I work almost exclusively with Brighid, Who among other things is a goddess of healing. Personally I also see Her as a patron of those of us with mental health issues or who have emotional trauma in our lives. So I tend to dedicate acts of self-care to Brighid as offerings themselves.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan

I actually offer my daily morning coffee to Quan Yin, and She seems to be happy with that. It's one of the only things that's actually consistent on a daily basis, so I've turned it into an informal ritual. I'm not too formal with any of my worship, and She is okay with that.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: missgraceless;157487
I actually offer my daily morning coffee to Quan Yin, and She seems to be happy with that.

who doesn't love coffee? In all honesty, that's brilliant. My group uses coffee in our group rituals as a bonding thing (think "stranger in a strange land" and sharing water), but somehow coffee as an offering escaped me.
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: random417;157489
who doesn't love coffee? In all honesty, that's brilliant. My group uses coffee in our group rituals as a bonding thing (think "stranger in a strange land" and sharing water), but somehow coffee as an offering escaped me.

Hahaha. I only started doing it a couple months ago, even though I've had coffee every day for the past like, 4872 years.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

PrincessAstrid

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: missgraceless;157532
Hahaha. I only started doing it a couple months ago, even though I've had coffee every day for the past like, 4872 years.

I love sharing my leftover coffee with Set! And I usually share my tea with Djehuty or any other god I'm thinking of at the time, if I feel it's a proper thing to give them in that moment.

Aside from that, I love giving offerings of incense and candles. I also like giving natural things, like flowers, grass, leaves. Anything that I feel binds me to my place of being. I feel they appreciate that, in my experience.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: PrincessAstrid;157534
I love sharing my leftover coffee with Set! And I usually share my tea with Djehuty or any other god I'm thinking of at the time, if I feel it's a proper thing to give them in that moment.

Aside from that, I love giving offerings of incense and candles. I also like giving natural things, like flowers, grass, leaves. Anything that I feel binds me to my place of being. I feel they appreciate that, in my experience.

My boyfriend won't let me burn incense in our room simply for the fact that the scent of Champa combined with the Glade plug-in grosses him out. He doesn't mind the incense by itself, but combined makes him nauseous.

Now that I think about it, some of the statues/figurines I have are a sort of permanent offering. My two emergency rainbow LED candles were only a (US) dollar each, my (very much fake) gold/crystal peacock was about $6, both off eBay, and my owl was MAYBE $15 off Etsy. I think the most expensive item on my shrine was the bamboo plant, at something like $25.

I'm not sure about where you live (as I'm on my phone and can't see your country flag), but if you have dollar stores in your area, that's another great place to find cheap stuff. But note that I say cheap rather than inexpensive because dollar store items aren't made very well, but they're such a bargain it doesn't even matter.

PrincessAstrid

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: missgraceless;157558
My boyfriend won't let me burn incense in our room simply for the fact that the scent of Champa combined with the Glade plug-in grosses him out. He doesn't mind the incense by itself, but combined makes him nauseous.

Now that I think about it, some of the statues/figurines I have are a sort of permanent offering. My two emergency rainbow LED candles were only a (US) dollar each, my (very much fake) gold/crystal peacock was about $6, both off eBay, and my owl was MAYBE $15 off Etsy. I think the most expensive item on my shrine was the bamboo plant, at something like $25.

I'm not sure about where you live (as I'm on my phone and can't see your country flag), but if you have dollar stores in your area, that's another great place to find cheap stuff. But note that I say cheap rather than inexpensive because dollar store items aren't made very well, but they're such a bargain it doesn't even matter.

I'm from the US, from one of the poorest areas of MA, actually. Which basically means I've got like 10 dollar stores in my area. Haha.

I actually got my candle holders at Dollar Tree. They have some really lovely glass taper and votive holders there now. I even got the glass I use on my altar as an offering glass there. The only thing I don't like getting there are candles and incense; I feel they're just too low quality from those stores in general. I get boxes of 200 sticks of incense for like $5 elsewhere that's pretty damn nice quality, so $1 for 25 just doesn't seem like a good deal to me when it's not very nice stuff, anyway.

I got the cloths from my altar and shrine from the 'red tag' section of Joann fabrics while they were 50% off. All I did was hem them and BAM. Altar cloths for like...$2 each.

As for cheap offerings, I have totally gotten fig cookies from one of the local overstock stores. It was like a pound of them for $2. That kept the gods happy for quite a long while.

For me, it seems to come down to just knowing how to shop around, if you're buying things for your worship space or for offering.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:38:37 am by PrincessAstrid »

MarsPrincess

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: missgraceless;157558

Hi missgraceless, I forgot about dollar stores. The only decent one in this country Singapore would be considered to be Daiso a $2 price for all items dollar store. Other kinds of dollar stores only stock up a very small variety of things only. Daiso is a Japanese dollar store that opened in Singapore. I've been there before. Wow they do have lots of nice stuff from Japan.

Thanks to everyone for replying to my thread! It helps a lot with your sharing.

Sincerely,
MarsPrincess :)

MarsPrincess

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: PrincessAstrid;157560
I'm from the US, from one of the poorest areas of MA, actually. Which basically means I've got like 10 dollar stores in my area. Haha.

I actually got my candle holders at Dollar Tree. They have some really lovely glass taper and votive holders there now. I even got the glass I use on my altar as an offering glass there. The only thing I don't like getting there are candles and incense; I feel they're just too low quality from those stores in general. I get boxes of 200 sticks of incense for like $5 elsewhere that's pretty damn nice quality, so $1 for 25 just doesn't seem like a good deal to me when it's not very nice stuff, anyway.

I got the cloths from my altar and shrine from the 'red tag' section of Joann fabrics while they were 50% off. All I did was hem them and BAM. Altar cloths for like...$2 each.

As for cheap offerings, I have totally gotten fig cookies from one of the local overstock stores. It was like a pound of them for $2. That kept the gods happy for quite a long while.

For me, it seems to come down to just knowing how to shop around, if you're buying things for your worship space or for offering.

Hi PrincessAstrid, you said the fig cookies that were bought cheaply and offered to your gods kept them happy for quite a long while. Something similar is happening with me. Although right now my only offerings are white tealight candles burnt as offerings to Mars Roman God and Fortuna Roman Goddess, my patron deities, they are so happy with it and told me I don't necessarily need to honor them daily through candles but they work harder on my problems when I do. They say heartfelt offerings always go a long ways.

Thanks and love to you all!
MarsPrincess

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Quote from: MarsPrincess;157585
Daiso is a Japanese dollar store that opened in Singapore. I've been there before. Wow they do have lots of nice stuff from Japan.

Daiso is so awesome! I shopped there all the time when I lived in Japan, and I still have stuff on my altar that I got there.

As to cheap offerings ... I keep an eye out for shed feathers to use as ma'at-offerings. It doesn't get much cheaper than that (they're mostly pigeon, but whatever).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sefiru;157612
Daiso is so awesome! I shopped there all the time when I lived in Japan, and I still have stuff on my altar that I got there.

As to cheap offerings ... I keep an eye out for shed feathers to use as ma'at-offerings. It doesn't get much cheaper than that (they're mostly pigeon, but whatever).

Thrift stores are another good spot to find nice stuff for seriously cheap.

PrincessAstrid

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: missgraceless;157625

I second this. I've found a lot of nice stuff at thrift stores and yard sales for almost free.

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: missgraceless;157625

I have to "third" this :)

I've found statuary, precious stones, a soap stone mortar and pestle for my herb work, and even Pagan books & jewelry at my local thrift and Goodwill stores. Other items like candles, oil burners, and misc. I find at my local Dollar Tree (everything is just $1) store.

I've never had any complaints about my thrifty offerings.
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

Tags: