Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Confused newbie  (Read 3231 times)

Katy

Confused newbie
« on: August 27, 2014, 04:52:21 pm »
Hello to everyone!

I've been learning about Wicca, but I've been using the book To Ride A Silver Broomstick by, Silver RavenWolf. I've had a lot of mixed feelings on her views. I want to learn so badly about this religion or practice but I feel like I'm being misleaded. I would really like some light to be shed on what Wicca really is. Thank you :)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Confused newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 05:12:29 pm »
Quote from: Katy;157283
Hello to everyone!

I've been learning about Wicca, but I've been using the book To Ride A Silver Broomstick by, Silver RavenWolf. I've had a lot of mixed feelings on her views. I want to learn so badly about this religion or practice but I feel like I'm being misleaded. I would really like some light to be shed on what Wicca really is. Thank you :)

Hi there Katy! Welcome to TC!

There's a lot of reasons why Silver RavenWolf doesn't have many fans on these forums and I think someone else could sum it up better than I. I don't practice Wicca anymore and I never had the misfortune of reading SRW's books, but I'd say your instincts are probably correct. There are many, many resources that would probably serve you better.

One of our members, Jenett, has set up a wonderful site for new Pagans called Seeking, and I think this page about definitions, especially the ones specifically about Wicca, would be useful for you. The term "Wicca" gets used differently in a lot of different contexts and sometimes it can be confusing for someone first getting into the practice.

My introductory text to Wicca was Wicca: A Guide for Solitary Practitioners by Scott Cunningham. I'm not sure how "good" it is because, as I said, I don't practice anymore and never really clicked with Wicca anyway. I have heard Wicca for Beginners by Thea Sabin recommended by other members of TC.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 05:12:30 pm »
Hello to everyone!

I'm not Wiccan, but I'm not sure if there's a single member of TC that actually likes Silver RavenWolf. (Those who do, please speak up.) From what I learned of my early Wiccish tendencies, Scott Cunningham is a bit more reputable than SRW. I'm personally not a fan of her.

Other than that, welcome!
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Katy

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 05:39:34 pm »
Quote from: Sage;157287
Hi there Katy! Welcome to TC!

There's a lot of reasons why Silver RavenWolf doesn't have many fans on these forums and I think someone else could sum it up better than I. I don't practice Wicca anymore and I never had the misfortune of reading SRW's books, but I'd say your instincts are probably correct. There are many, many resources that would probably serve you better.

One of our members, Jenett, has set up a wonderful site for new Pagans called Seeking, and I think this page about definitions, especially the ones specifically about Wicca, would be useful for you. The term "Wicca" gets used differently in a lot of different contexts and sometimes it can be confusing for someone first getting into the practice.

My introductory text to Wicca was Wicca: A Guide for Solitary Practitioners by Scott Cunningham. I'm not sure how "good" it is because, as I said, I don't practice anymore and never really clicked with Wicca anyway. I have heard Wicca for Beginners by Thea Sabin recommended by other members of TC.

Thank you for your reply. I'm still shaky on terms. I'm not even sure is Wicca is something I want to get into. I really like paganism but like Wicca or any witchcraft I know very little about it. Maybe I should change me question to what is Paganism?

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 06:02:18 pm »
Quote from: Katy;157289
Thank you for your reply. I'm still shaky on terms. I'm not even sure is Wicca is something I want to get into. I really like paganism but like Wicca or any witchcraft I know very little about it. Maybe I should change me question to what is Paganism?

It's basically any religion that isn't monotheistic (well, isn't monotheist and isn't one of the major world religions) and more importantly self-identifies as such, self-identifies as "pagan". It's an adjective rather than a religion.

From what you know of paganism, or the impression you have...what do you like about it? Like, what's your favorite thing?
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 06:07:45 pm »
Quote from: Katy;157289

That's the million dollar question, isn't it? :) "Paganism" gets used in a lot of ways too. At its core, it's an umbrella term for many different structured religious paths (like Wicca, some forms of religious witchcraft, and Druidry) as well as more personalized or eclectic paths that individuals create for themselves.

Something to keep in mind is that individual practitioners may have a narrower view of what "Paganism" is (and often that definition matches their own tradition). So for example, you'll see some forms of Wicca and Goddess-centered spirituality touted as all of Paganism instead of part of the Pagan umbrella. This can make for some confusing conversations, especially as you're just starting to explore what all this is and what it means for you.

Here on TC we define a Pagan as someone who is not Abrahamic - that is, is not a member of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, or their monotheistic offshoots - and who also self-identifies as Pagan. This last bit is important. "Paganism" isn't a really useful term when talking about specific beliefs and practices because just about anything can be Pagan. Which can be both frustrating and liberating, often at the same time.

Now, over my Pagan "career" I've done everything from eclectic Wicca with an actual coven, interfaith Pagan college campus groups, Druidry, a smattering of eclectic European polytheism, and a brief foray into heathenry. (Side note: heathenry, or heathenism, is sometimes considered Pagan and sometimes not depending on who you ask. The moral of the story is to always ask for definitions when you engage with someone in conversation!)

Currently I consider myself primarily a devotee of the Celtic goddess Brighid. Most of my Pagan work right now is building a devotional lifestyle around Brighid and Her work, maintaining a relationship with Her, writing about Her, and poking at Clann Bhride, the devotional path I and a few others created as a resource for other Brighid devotees. I'm also exploring Kemetic (ancient Egyptian) practices and slowly building a relationship with my ancestors.

All of these experiences and practices I consider part of my Pagan life. So you can see, there's a lot that Paganism can be for you depending on what you want and what you feel drawn toward.

One last note: with few exceptions, many Pagan paths have no qualms with practitioners  also being members of other traditions. That's how I was able to both belong to a Wiccan coven and be a member of a Druid group at the same time, even though they used different ritual structures and had completely different ways of thinking about deity. Even if you're not sure what you believe right now, there's no rush to find the one single perfect fit. Take your time to explore, ask questions, take notes, and experiment when you feel ready.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 06:09:58 pm »
Quote from: Sage;157287

Sage has already pointed you at the page on my website that talks about terms of Wicca, but it sounds like you might find the whole Getting Started section (http://gleewood.org/seeking/basics/) helpful - it talks about things Paganism is and isn't. I'd also recommend taking a look at the Cauldron's guide for Paganism and Teens - it's a great resource recommended to non-teens as well that covers a lot of general background. (Also linked from that page, or over here.)

In terms of early books, I've got a recommendation list up on my website too - over here.

While a lot of people started on Cunningham, I don't recommend him as a starting place anymore, because he died in the mid-90s, and how we talk about what we do has changed a lot.

I usually recommend Thea Sabin's _Wicca for Beginners_ as a good starting place, but that list above has a few other suggestions if you find her style isn't a good fit. If you poke around in the 'Learning More' section, there's also an essay on critical reading and Pagan books that might help you get a better feel for how to sort out good sources from not so good ones.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Katy

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 06:29:48 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;157290
It's basically any religion that isn't monotheistic (well, isn't monotheist and isn't one of the major world religions) and more importantly self-identifies as such, self-identifies as "pagan". It's an adjective rather than a religion.

From what you know of paganism, or the impression you have...what do you like about it? Like, what's your favorite thing?

From what I understand me favorite thing would have to be that I can focus more on the spirit of the Earth. In short, I believe I work with my environment and my environment works with me. Not my environment works for me only.   Just to be clear I don't believe everyone with religious beliefs like Catholicism, Christianity and Judaism, or any other religious belief to believe as selfishly (that's just in my opinion) as that everything on Earth works and belongs to them.

Katy

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 06:37:51 pm »
Quote from: Sage;157291
That's the million dollar question, isn't it? :) "Paganism" gets used in a lot of ways too. At its core, it's an umbrella term for many different structured religious paths (like Wicca, some forms of religious witchcraft, and Druidry) as well as more personalized or eclectic paths that individuals create for themselves.

Something to keep in mind is that individual practitioners may have a narrower view of what "Paganism" is (and often that definition matches their own tradition). So for example, you'll see some forms of Wicca and Goddess-centered spirituality touted as all of Paganism instead of part of the Pagan umbrella. This can make for some confusing conversations, especially as you're just starting to explore what all this is and what it means for you.

Here on TC we define a Pagan as someone who is not Abrahamic - that is, is not a member of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, or their monotheistic offshoots - and who also self-identifies as Pagan. This last bit is important. "Paganism" isn't a really useful term when talking about specific beliefs and practices because just about anything can be Pagan. Which can be both frustrating and liberating, often at the same time.

Now, over my Pagan "career" I've done everything from eclectic Wicca with an actual coven, interfaith Pagan college campus groups, Druidry, a smattering of eclectic European polytheism, and a brief foray into heathenry. (Side note: heathenry, or heathenism, is sometimes considered Pagan and sometimes not depending on who you ask. The moral of the story is to always ask for definitions when you engage with someone in conversation!)

Currently I consider myself primarily a devotee of the Celtic goddess Brighid. Most of my Pagan work right now is building a devotional lifestyle around Brighid and Her work, maintaining a relationship with Her, writing about Her, and poking at Clann Bhride, the devotional path I and a few others created as a resource for other Brighid devotees. I'm also exploring Kemetic (ancient Egyptian) practices and slowly building a relationship with my ancestors.

All of these experiences and practices I consider part of my Pagan life. So you can see, there's a lot that Paganism can be for you depending on what you want and what you feel drawn toward.

One last note: with few exceptions, many Pagan paths have no qualms with practitioners  also being members of other traditions. That's how I was able to both belong to a Wiccan coven and be a member of a Druid group at the same time, even though they used different ritual structures and had completely different ways of thinking about deity. Even if you're not sure what you believe right now, there's no rush to find the one single perfect fit. Take your time to explore, ask questions, take notes, and experiment when you feel ready.

Thanks! Your reply gave me a lot of reassurance. I feel like I constantly being both back and forth between beliefs (that includes topics outside of religion). I always end up coming back to what I know is true to me. And maybe if I keep focusing on those beliefs I'll finally be lead to something to settle in or not, and that'll be something I'll come to accept and love all the same. :) So thanks so much!

Katy

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 06:40:05 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;157292
Sage has already pointed you at the page on my website that talks about terms of Wicca, but it sounds like you might find the whole Getting Started section (http://gleewood.org/seeking/basics/) helpful - it talks about things Paganism is and isn't. I'd also recommend taking a look at the Cauldron's guide for Paganism and Teens - it's a great resource recommended to non-teens as well that covers a lot of general background. (Also linked from that page, or over here.)

In terms of early books, I've got a recommendation list up on my website too - over here.

While a lot of people started on Cunningham, I don't recommend him as a starting place anymore, because he died in the mid-90s, and how we talk about what we do has changed a lot.

I usually recommend Thea Sabin's _Wicca for Beginners_ as a good starting place, but that list above has a few other suggestions if you find her style isn't a good fit. If you poke around in the 'Learning More' section, there's also an essay on critical reading and Pagan books that might help you get a better feel for how to sort out good sources from not so good ones.

Thanks for your reply and I did go to your page. I found it useful, and while some of your essays I did read didn't dive into too much detail I still have a much better understanding on Paganism, Wicca and other religious witchcraft.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 07:00:30 pm »
Quote from: Katy;157296
Thanks for your reply and I did go to your page. I found it useful, and while some of your essays I did read didn't dive into too much detail I still have a much better understanding on Paganism, Wicca and other religious witchcraft.

The basics section is deliberately designed not to go into huge amounts of detail - in part because I don't practice all the religions I discuss there, and in part because overwhelming people who are looking for a really basic introduction isn't very helpful.  

My hope with that section is to give people some general information that will help them find more resources/get familiar with terms/start thinking

You'll find that the rest of the site goes into a great deal more depth about religious witchcraft in various forms, which is where my own practice is. (My word count tool on the backend tells me that there's 187,543 words currently, across 143 pages on the site, which is about 2 books worth of wordcount.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Katy

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 11:12:31 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;157299
The basics section is deliberately designed not to go into huge amounts of detail - in part because I don't practice all the religions I discuss there, and in part because overwhelming people who are looking for a really basic introduction isn't very helpful.  

My hope with that section is to give people some general information that will help them find more resources/get familiar with terms/start thinking

You'll find that the rest of the site goes into a great deal more depth about religious witchcraft in various forms, which is where my own practice is. (My word count tool on the backend tells me that there's 187,543 words currently, across 143 pages on the site, which is about 2 books worth of wordcount.)

Okay awesome! I kind of figured it was on purpose. I'll go more into your site as soon as I can! :)

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 07:34:27 pm »
Hello to everyone!

Your question seems to have been answered so I'll just add my... Welcome to TC :)
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

Tags: