collapse

Author Topic: The new DOCTOR WHO  (Read 2608 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
The new DOCTOR WHO
« on: August 23, 2014, 11:09:25 pm »
Peter Capaldi debuted as the new Doctor Who tonight. I'm reserving judgment on Capaldi himself in the role, but I thought the episode was awful. When Moffat's writing is good, he's fantastic, but when he's bad...

And this made me want to gag at various points and barely held my attention.

The biggest failure of this ep was that it failed to properly introduce us to the new doctor or give us a reason to care about him; and considering a new actor just slid into that storied and critical role, that should have been the top priority of the episode.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Re: The new DOCTOR WHO
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:30:08 pm »
Quote from: Altair;156966
Peter Capaldi debuted as the new Doctor Who tonight. I'm reserving judgment on Capaldi himself in the role, but I thought the episode was awful. When Moffat's writing is good, he's fantastic, but when he's bad...

The biggest failure of this ep was that it failed to properly introduce us to the new doctor or give us a reason to care about him; and considering a new actor just slid into that storied and critical role, that should have been the top priority of the episode.

I haven't seen much of any DW since Tennant left, but my biggest problem when I heard that Peter Capaldi was to be the 12th was the fact that he'd previously been in an episode (season 4). Did they take that into consideration at all?
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Ginko

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 11:59:58 pm »

I've got to say - I was terribly disappointed, but not surprised.  All of Peter Moffat's episode have left me vaguely to profoundly disappointed in some way.  As a die hard chocolate fanatic I liken it to a Hershey's Bar, it's chocolate that just falls flat of its full potential.

I'm going to give Peter Capaldi the benefit of doubt and blame it on the writing.  My daughter pointed out that I have liked Moffat's writing in the past when he teamed with someone else.

I agree, the first priority should have been developing empathy for the new Doctor.

I just realized that this is a bit of a rant, but goodness, even my kids were disappointed!
Ginko

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 12:46:01 am »
Peter Capaldi debuted as the new Doctor Who tonight.

***POSSIBLE SMALL SPOILERS***

I don't know how to feel about it. It's just left me feeling sad, because I liked Matt's Doctor. The story wasn't great. I did like some of Capaldi's scenes. I hated what happened to the dinosaur. She was so scared. Clara was good. Jenny and Strax were good but something felt a bit off with Vastra.

Overall it was okay. I imagine I'll like the new Doctor eventually, I like them all. Still, I'm missing Eleven already.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 02:46:10 am »

I thought it was good, actually. Not excellent, but not bad for Moffat. (I wish Moffat hadn't disappointed me so much with his work on Doctor Who. I've been a fan of him since I was a teenager watching Press Gang.)

I thought it dealt really well with issues like why the Doctor regenerates in the forms he does, how he's maturing and realising he's been deceiving his companions, even where he choose his faces from. (Which is how they dealt with the actor having been in it before.) The sad ending of the dinosaur didn't make any sense, but everything else was good metaphor, good character development and reasonable story.

Also I adore Strax and co. "We will burn him with acid!... We will not burn him with acid." I also loved "it's times like this I miss Amy", and various other lines. It was funny and fairly clever in a lot of the dialogue.

Not the best episode, but a good start.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 03:07:33 am »

I loved Capaldi but the episode was...not good. The end was interesting, because **spoilers** I feel like it gave 11 better resolution than that awful Christmas Special, although I'm still not sure how I felt about it... It seemed to me to be a bit contrived.

There were some good bits and as long as I didn't pay attention to the plot I was fine. That shouldn't even be remotely okay, but considering that Capaldi as 12 makes me unreasonably happy, I can see why I didn't turn it off halfway in.

I also liked the dynamic of Clara and 12, after she accepted him more and he gained a bit more clarity. I'm excited to see what's up next, so long as Moffat doesn't screw up.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 03:10:09 am »

What did y'all think of the new opening? Apparently it's fan-made.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 05:25:00 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;156975
What did y'all think of the new opening? Apparently it's fan-made.

Pure genius. They should commission more fans to do things for this show. Not quite sure about the therumin (?) for the theme tune, though.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

katbast

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 11:17:48 am »

I actually liked it. Mostly. There were a few weird spots like the dinosaur but I thought it addressed the same actor issue well. I need to go see what episode he was in before since they were referencing it. I dislike the whole implying 11 was  boyfriend thing...just cause it feels like a weird start to their (12) dynamic. And the chick at the end was odd. I mean well spread have River Song as the Doctor's "wife". But it was a good start in my opinion.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 11:58:12 am »

(Spoilers ahead.)

I have mixed feelings about the episode. On the one hand, I never judge a Doctor on his regeneration episode, because he's still putting himself back together. I liked the Scottish bit- it was a throwback to the Nine/Ten regeneration without screaming "AMY AMY AMY" all over the place. I also liked the bit with the Doctor's confrontation with the automaton in the hot air balloon, asking if he even knew where the face came from. It was a brief moment of the Doctor seeing himself reflected in his villain, which I always like.

I liked Clara in the episode; having a Doctor regenerate into an older man, go crashing through time, and be largely senile and dismissive of you must be a massive shock from  a 20-something boy who calls you his Impossible Girl. I didn't like Madam Vastra challenging her, though, and her right to be a companion- it's not her place. The three of them coming to the rescue all of a sudden felt really forced.

What I hated the most was the ending. The phone call was not even fan service, it was Moffat desperately trying to tell the fanbase not to give up on the show now that the lead is older, and I think the story is so much weaker for Clara needing to hear her old Doctor beg for acceptance instead of acknowledging that he did have her back, and that he still has her back even if he's different now. The bit in Paradise was also really grating, if for no other reason than I am really fucking tired of Moffat's Grand Mystery Schemes and I would like to just enjoy the Doctor and his normal human companion exploring space and time together.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 03:02:46 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;156976
Pure genius. They should commission more fans to do things for this show. Not quite sure about the therumin (?) for the theme tune, though.

It might've been an older synthesizer, but you're probably right.

I agree wholeheartedly with the commissioning of fans. They really know what to do.

Tags: