Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: Death-Tide/Winternights  (Read 2395 times)

daudhavinr

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Death-Tide/Winternights
« on: August 23, 2014, 01:06:31 pm »
A long while ago, I read Matthew Ikonen's Warlock's Handbook, and thought one part in particular was interesting: his observance of what he calls Death Tide. Since Death—as a concept, event, force, and entity—is central to my practice, I decided to create a practice in my own path similar to what he had in mind with this. His Death Tide consisted of Eve of the Dead, Devils' Night, Halloween, Ancestors' Day, and Day of All Dead. I thought the name, Death Tide, sounded a bit too "edgy," and I wanted to change that approach. Before I started crafting, I was primarily a reconstructionist-derived heathen, and I still tend to worship in a particularly heathen manner (as well as in a Hindu manner, where appropriate). One of the many things I've retained from Norse culture, is Winternights, which is meant as a period marking the true start of winter and honoring the spirits of the earth and of the dead. My conclusion, therefore, was to take Ikonen's idea of Death Tide, and incorporate it into the Norse idea of Winternights.

For me, Winternights consists of:

Winter's Eve (October 29) - The night before Winter's Day, meant to prepare for the coming celebrations, feasting, and spiritual reverence. This is a night to decorate, cleanse the home, keep appropriate wards at the windows, and light a candle to signify the coming of the dead.

Winter's Day (October 30) - The first true day of Winternights, meant to reflect on and celebrate the changes witnessed during this transitional season. During the day, it is appropriate to create offerings to the spirits of the land and to commune with nature. During the night, I give the offerings made earlier and welcome the spirits to join in the coming days of celebration and reflection.

All Hallow's Eve (October 31) - During the day of Halloween, I finish up any remaining decorations, carve the jack-o-lanterns, and prepare my home for communion with my ancestors during the night and the next day. During the night, I light candles and play music to welcome home the honored dead.

All Hallow's Day (November 1) - A day of feasting, communion, celebration, and otherwise closeness with the spirits of the land and of my ancestors, to reflect on life, and on the wisdom of those who have gone before me. As the night comes, I prepare to part ways with my ancestors, but welcome them to stay longer if desired.

Day of All Dead (November 2) - The final day of Winternights, means to commemorate all the spirits of the dead, whether human, animal, or something else. This is a day to reflect on Death as it affects us and the world around us, to remember the meaning that Death gives life, and to create an awareness of Death as a change and transition more than a termination, as we will see in the coming months as Midwinter approaches, and passes, and as the spring comes and life returns.

This is just a basic description of this holy time. This will be my first year celebrating it like this, so we'll see how it goes. Does anyone have any suggestions that might make one or more of these observances better or more effective? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Death-Tide/Winternights
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:00:57 am »
Quote from: dauðahrafn;156959
A long while ago, I read Matthew Ikonen's Warlock's Handbook, and thought one part in particular was interesting: his observance of what he calls Death Tide. Since Death—as a concept, event, force, and entity—is central to my practice, I decided to create a practice in my own path similar to what he had in mind with this. His Death Tide consisted of Eve of the Dead, Devils' Night, Halloween, Ancestors' Day, and Day of All Dead. I thought the name, Death Tide, sounded a bit too "edgy," and I wanted to change that approach. Before I started crafting, I was primarily a reconstructionist-derived heathen, and I still tend to worship in a particularly heathen manner (as well as in a Hindu manner, where appropriate). One of the many things I've retained from Norse culture, is Winternights, which is meant as a period marking the true start of winter and honoring the spirits of the earth and of the dead. My conclusion, therefore, was to take Ikonen's idea of Death Tide, and incorporate it into the Norse idea of Winternights.

I don't have any suggestions, but I would like to say that the ideas you've presented are very interesting to me. Doing something related to Winternights has been on my 'wishlist' for a while and I really liked your take on it. Thank you for sharing it!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:01:54 am by Allaya »
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Zin Aeon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • https://broomclosetjournals.wordpress.com/
Re: Death-Tide/Winternights
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 02:45:38 pm »
Quote from: dauðahrafn;156959

For me, Winternights consists of:

Winter's Eve (October 29) - The night before Winter's Day, meant to prepare for the coming celebrations, feasting, and spiritual reverence. This is a night to decorate, cleanse the home, keep appropriate wards at the windows, and light a candle to signify the coming of the dead.

Winter's Day (October 30) - The first true day of Winternights, meant to reflect on and celebrate the changes witnessed during this transitional season. During the day, it is appropriate to create offerings to the spirits of the land and to commune with nature. During the night, I give the offerings made earlier and welcome the spirits to join in the coming days of celebration and reflection.

All Hallow's Eve (October 31) - During the day of Halloween, I finish up any remaining decorations, carve the jack-o-lanterns, and prepare my home for communion with my ancestors during the night and the next day. During the night, I light candles and play music to welcome home the honored dead.

All Hallow's Day (November 1) - A day of feasting, communion, celebration, and otherwise closeness with the spirits of the land and of my ancestors, to reflect on life, and on the wisdom of those who have gone before me. As the night comes, I prepare to part ways with my ancestors, but welcome them to stay longer if desired.

Day of All Dead (November 2) - The final day of Winternights, means to commemorate all the spirits of the dead, whether human, animal, or something else. This is a day to reflect on Death as it affects us and the world around us, to remember the meaning that Death gives life, and to create an awareness of Death as a change and transition more than a termination, as we will see in the coming months as Midwinter approaches, and passes, and as the spring comes and life returns.

This is just a basic description of this holy time. This will be my first year celebrating it like this, so we'll see how it goes. Does anyone have any suggestions that might make one or more of these observances better or more effective? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Do a search for Hallowtide; it sounds very similar to what you mentioned.  It's a time encompassing the last three holidays in your post.  Funny enough, Hallowtide is usually attributed to Christianity.  

I've adapted Hallowtide to suit my own beliefs.  It just felt right.  Especially given how many of the holidays and celebratory practices overlap with significance in various beliefs.

Tags: