collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Creating a Safe Space to Practice?  (Read 2780 times)

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Creating a Safe Space to Practice?
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:54:51 pm »
I'm becoming increasingly drawn to witchcraft and would like to create a safe private space to practice. I've never wanted to set up an alter although I've been a practicing Heathen for at least a year now and an exploring one for a few years before that. But I feel like I need a place to center myself and don't just want to attempt my first spell without having gotten used to my own little spot for a while.

If you have a spot set up for magic practice, would you mind sharing how/what it is? I live with my parents who don't know I'm a Heathen and certainly not that I'm exploring witchcraft, just that I don't consider myself Christian anymore. So I'd like to keep my spot out of sight for the most part. Would having a certain rug that I roll out on my floor be appropriate?

Any thoughts you have are really welcome! Thank you!
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Creating a Safe Space to Practice?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:42:32 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;156720
I'm becoming increasingly drawn to witchcraft and would like to create a safe private space to practice. I've never wanted to set up an alter although I've been a practicing Heathen for at least a year now and an exploring one for a few years before that. But I feel like I need a place to center myself and don't just want to attempt my first spell without having gotten used to my own little spot for a while.

If you have a spot set up for magic practice, would you mind sharing how/what it is? I live with my parents who don't know I'm a Heathen and certainly not that I'm exploring witchcraft, just that I don't consider myself Christian anymore. So I'd like to keep my spot out of sight for the most part. Would having a certain rug that I roll out on my floor be appropriate?

I've had different 'spots' over the years (to clarify, I'm not talking shrines or deity altars - just places where I do magic) but looking back I can see that the vast majority of them were in my bedroom. Even now, technically my workspace is in the same room as my bed.

Personally, the way I see my magical space is that it's not made up of objects but rather is made of actions. The more I use the space for magic, the more that 'vibe' builds up. Like seasoning a frying pan, or layering oil paints. So maybe you could practice creating a safe magical space enough times that you feel comfortable? That wouldn't require anything that might tip off your parents.

Ultimately what you want in your space is entirely up to you - if having a full altar is not feasible or desirable, don't be afraid to ditch it. The rug idea is also totally genius, and now I want to look online for magic circle rugs...

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:20:28 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;156740
Personally, the way I see my magical space is that it's not made up of objects but rather is made of actions. The more I use the space for magic, the more that 'vibe' builds up. Like seasoning a frying pan, or layering oil paints. So maybe you could practice creating a safe magical space enough times that you feel comfortable? That wouldn't require anything that might tip off your parents.

Ultimately what you want in your space is entirely up to you - if having a full altar is not feasible or desirable, don't be afraid to ditch it. The rug idea is also totally genius, and now I want to look online for magic circle rugs...

I concur. The sort of magic that I got into was very much about mindset rather than objects, too. Magic happened in the anchored emotion, the sit-down-or-lie-down-to-meditate-and-that-looks-an-awful-lot-like-sleeping. It's more safe time than safe space, really.

After that...I think I mentioned that I have a knitted drawstring pouch that carries stuff that would otherwise have maybe gone on an altar, because I've been a nomad at this time of my life.

Rugs are a great idea, though. Tablecloths can work the same way.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Zin Aeon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • https://broomclosetjournals.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 01:10:25 am »

I've always just practiced where ever I can plant my bottom....or sometimes where I dance.

I have a small roll-up jewelry travel case that holds any items I may want to use, but that's a rather rare case.  Mostly herbs.  Maybe a few crystals.  Always matches.

I've never felt the need for a sacred place.  But I do own my own home, so I suppose, in a way, it all feels sacred to me.  

Could it be because you don't have a place that's your own yet in any way that the drive to create this space is even stronger?  Just a thought.

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 09:50:58 pm »
Quote from: Demifate;156759

Could it be because you don't have a place that's your own yet in any way that the drive to create this space is even stronger?  Just a thought.

Thanks for sharing, everyone, lots to think about.

Probably, very strongly. I don't feel at home anymore in my own home. I live here, and it's comfortable I guess but I'm always on guard. Waiting for the other shoe to drop. I still haven't unpacked enough though I moved home 4 months ago. I used to just live here on weekends but right now, my parents' place is closer to my workplace than anything else.
[/B]

Flame

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 12:12:27 am »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;156894

Probably, very strongly. I don't feel at home anymore in my own home. I live here, and it's comfortable I guess but I'm always on guard. Waiting for the other shoe to drop. I still haven't unpacked enough though I moved home 4 months ago. I used to just live here on weekends but right now, my parents' place is closer to my workplace than anything else.

I've had the 'I don't feel home' feeling even though I've lived in this apt for over a year. I'm thinking of doing a ritual for it, to make it feel more...mine.

Zin Aeon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • https://broomclosetjournals.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 01:06:06 am »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;156894

Have you considered gathering items for a portable set-up?

Since settling in to make the space yours is difficult right now, why not gather the things you feel establish a sacred space and take it with you?  Craft bags, travel bags, etc. make for easy portability, and they're fairly common so most people overlook their existence (since you're not ready yet to share with the family.)

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 02:48:47 pm »
Quote from: Demifate;156904
Have you considered gathering items for a portable set-up?

Since settling in to make the space yours is difficult right now, why not gather the things you feel establish a sacred space and take it with you?  Craft bags, travel bags, etc. make for easy portability, and they're fairly common so most people overlook their existence (since you're not ready yet to share with the family.)

I have thought of this but the thought of packing anything scares me. I lived out of a duffle bag for 4 years, I don't like packing for anything anymore. My whole life sometimes feel portable. I'm actually looking for a nice rug at the moment, feel like that could be the best thing for me right now.
[/B]

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 10:30:54 pm »

A little late to the party, but I wanted to answer:

In my apartment, I hate hate hate doing magic in the living room. So there's the opposite of your question. Despite that, my altar was in my living room for a while as I didn't have space anywhere else for it. Since then we've gotten a new dresser and rearranged the bedroom, so it's better.

I do, however, like doing it in my kitchen, if it's clean enough, or my bedroom. I don't like cleaning my kitchen and generally clean whatever I can trade for the kitchen instead, so if I'm home alone it's a pain. However, it is more candle-safe than my bedroom. However again, though, since my bedroom has been rearranged I have some floor space again, so it's less dangerous. I haven't done much adjusting yet, but there's a sort of answer.

Because I'm assuming it's part of why you're asking, the 'why' is a bit muddled. I just don't like being in my living room, but it's also a bit more cluttered on average. I feel most comfortable in my bedroom in general, and also it's more contained so if I want to do any space-cleansing type things, it's a bit less. The kitchen is nice and dark if I turn out the lights, though, which is helpful for some things? I don't know. I mostly did stuff in there when I didn't have my bedroom

When I lived at my parents' house, I had a space in my attic (beside my bedroom, not above the house), which I felt safe in and also gave me privacy. I also had a stump in the middle of a patch of trees that I would use as a table when I could. Again, privacy was important to me. Although I wasn't a secret witch or anything, I wasn't really keen on sharing with my family or being observed.

I think having a special rug to roll out is a good plan. As well as being a safe space, it might help you get in the right headspace, and if you use candles it'll protect your floor from wax.

Tags: