collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Pre-birth choices and privilege  (Read 13268 times)

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-birth choices and privilege
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2014, 02:12:34 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;156843
A good rule of thumb is that the hardest thing to do is usually the right thing to do.

EX:

"I'd really like to participate in SJ but it's so hard because it makes me uncomfortable." Here, stepping aside is the easy/lazy way out.

"My personal health is really suffering from participating in SJ, but it's so hard to stop because I love the work I'm doing."
Here, caring for your personal welfare is the priority regardless of how you feel.
Fair enough, so ignoring comfort level then, how should I get started?
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2014, 02:17:23 pm »
Quote from: random417;156851

Uh, google? Check the news in your area to see what events are going on? I don't think we should have to spoon feed you.

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2014, 02:37:06 pm »

One is tempted to say "you chose this belief system, it's up to you to figure out how it works, why ask other people":)

But I understand that sometime one can just hit on a concept/idea which has the ring of truth to us even if we haven't figured it out yet.

I would suggest you work on the engine first and leave the upholstery and paint until later. I realize that of course what I think is most important will not be what you or others think. For example, I don't buy into the whole concept of 'privilege' as it is used now so for me,that's out of the equation, an unnecessary consideration.

I'm tending to concentrate on the basics of the concept of choosing one's parents and all that implies. For example, that would mean that someone's parents also chose to be in the situation they are in and so back thousands of generations. That makes it exponentially more difficult to figure this thing out.

For example,it's pretty well been demonstrated that dysfunctionality in families can manifest itself to at least 5 generations. What does this mean for all members and 'potential' members of that family? Then multiply it by all their relations.  One doesn't even have to take it to the extreme ends of poverty or wealth. What does it mean for the 'building blocks' of just *one* family? And that family is embedded in a society with which it will interact , change and be changed by it. And if the recent findings in transgenerational epigenetics prove robust, that really throws an additional spanner into the mix.  

And etc.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:38:33 pm by carillion »

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2014, 02:42:10 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;156844
Personally, I take a lot of comfort in "shit happens".  that means it isn't personal.

"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, 'wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them?' So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2014, 02:51:17 pm »

The first step is education. You can't very well tackle problems if you don't know what they are and how they got there. There's a lot out there, both in terms of "social justice philosophy and approaches" and "social justice causes." There are sadly endless problems in the world; what grabs your attention first?

I'm away from the computer or I would be able to get you some helpful 101 articles and websites. One essay that comes to mind is "Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack" which is about understanding privilege. You should be able to find it via google.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2014, 03:42:21 pm »
Quote from: random417;156813
I've compared the higher self to a polytheistic god. Upthread it was pointed out that the Gods aren't infallible. The same is true of the higher self... think of it as the sum total of your experiences across all lifetimes. Does that make it wise? After a few lifetimes most likely. Does that make it perfect? No, no more than the Gods.

Miscarriages also bring into question when the soul or higher self enters the body. Personally, I believe it's not when the child's takes its first breath of air, but it's first breath. "Practice breathing" begins at 9 weeks. The other milestone that we could use is a docs guess at when a child "becomes conscious", according to this website :  http://www.beginbeforebirth.org/in-the-womb/fetal-development would be between 17 and 26 weeks. The breath thing comes (as UPG to me) from breath embodying life in the biblical story of creation (among others), so if you choose a different benchmark, that's fine with me. In any case, before the soul enters the body, the choice hasn't been made. (Sorry, longer sideline than I meant it to be)

I really hope I'm parsing you incorrectly and that you aren't actually cruel enough to tell me that the miscarriage that nearly killed me was because my child's higher self rejected me. I mean are you looking for a system where you can harm the most people or what? Because that's monstrous.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2014, 03:52:25 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;156866
I really hope I'm parsing you incorrectly and that you aren't actually cruel enough to tell me that the miscarriage that nearly killed me was because my child's higher self rejected me.

I think you're backwards of what I was saying.  

Your child chose you, potentially knowing the risks involved. Possibly because they saw something in you that was worth the risk of not incarnating properly.

If the choice was made in advance of the miscarriage event, then the choice was made. There may have been knowledge of the possibility of miscarriage of their part, but they chose you anyway. To me, it indicates something about you (mind you based solely on that, I can hardly claim to know you) that incarnating spirits are called towards.
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2014, 03:57:35 pm »
Quote from: random417;156867
I think you're backwards of what I was saying.  

Your child chose you, potentially knowing the risks involved. Possibly because they saw something in you that was worth the risk of not incarnating properly.

If the choice was made in advance of the miscarriage event, then the choice was made. There may have been knowledge of the possibility of miscarriage of their part, but they chose you anyway. To me, it indicates something about you (mind you based solely on that, I can hardly claim to know you) that incarnating spirits are called towards.

That's how I interpreted it. You did say the 'Higher Self' was not omniscient, therefor it might not be able to foresee events *after* the choice had been made. After all, there is a lot to factor in (for instance, that the parent was *also* chosen for their parents)

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2014, 03:59:21 pm »
Quote from: carillion;156868
That's how I interpreted it. You did say the 'Higher Self' was not omniscient, therefor it might not be able to foresee events *after* the choice had been made. After all, there is a lot to factor in (for instance, that the parent was *also* chosen for their parents)
I don't mind clarifying though, strong emotion and the fact that I'm not great with words is combining for a lack of clarity. Hopefully this is more clear

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2014, 04:09:44 pm »

Well, what Sage said. And also, just because the right choice/action is usually the hardest one, that doesn't mean it has to be torture. ;)

Start where you're most comfortable and then push off from there.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2014, 04:16:52 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;156870
Well, what Sage said. And also, just because the right choice/action is usually the hardest one, that doesn't mean it has to be torture. ;)

Start where you're most comfortable and then push off from there.

Yes, martyrdom usually comes later on in the spiritual process.:D:

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2014, 07:38:21 pm »
Quote from: random417;156798
Sure, pre birth choice is mine, call it UPG, dismiss it if you want, but I came to this realization before being exposed to the concept of privilege. I'm not going to throw it out just because it creates problems for a new concept.

Furthermore, I'm here because I've defined the concept of privilege, identified some of the areas in which I have it, and came to a dilemma about what some of it means. In short, I'm in the process of checking my privilege. My thought is, no, nobodies obligated to help me, for the phrase to have any meaning at all, the process WILL at times get messy. If you don't feel like helping that's fine, but attacking me, and the process I use, isn't helping me, isn't helping your cause, isn't helping you. I'm all for debate, and I'm all for having help,  but this is my process. I might say things that make you uncomfortable. That's ok, the process is mine, and there have been things here that have helped me, so my choice of venue works.

Yes, there's anger. Deal. That's my problem and part of my process is learning why that anger exists. That's not why I chose to ask for assistance.

In short, this is my work, it's messy and uncomfortable, and there's way more going on on my end than just this. If you (or anybody else) doesn't feel like helping that's fine, but I don't understand  why you're disruptive.

If you believe I don't have a proper understanding of privilege, then share one, if you're so inclined. You may be right, I think I've got it (although I don't think a definition from me would help you believe that), but I could be wrong. Just telling me I don't get it isn't helping

If this 'higher self' is your personal belief, why did you link to a wiki article instead of explaining it? I have no idea now what this 'higher self' actually functions. What is its decision making capacity? How does it relate to individual people? How is its actions different form that of any other outside force, like a god or even random chance?

As for the rest, the complicating issue is that you have used all the techniques of an inverted narrative. Ignoring the inherent levels of victim blaming in your philosophy, you portrayed yourself as the victim. People were 'attacking' you. Pointing our your privilege made you 'feel guilty'. Nobody was attacking you, they were simply pointing out the obvious implications of your beliefs. This is the same language used by other privileged groups, which tries to cast them as the victims. The term 'Reverse Racism' springs to mind. Like how Evangelicals in the US claim that Christianity is a persecuted religion when they don't get their way. Or when Men's 'rights' groups claim that giving women rights somehow makes men 'second class' citizens.

The problem with this type of privilege is that it is largely unspoken and unacknowledged. This makes it pervasive and very difficult to combat, because people don't realise that they have it, or that they are benefiting from it. Your are more likely to be hired for a job, believed by the police, be safer in general. If you do something bad you are more likely to be forgiven, or let of lightly, or taken at your word. This you take for granted. The bias is systematic, and pervasive.

This is probably the situation that you are in, and I don't believe you are doing this deliberately by any stretch. This calling out your privilege seems like an attack, because this situation seems normal to you. I know that it can be confronting sometimes. And of course there are white people, and white men, who do suffer from poverty and social exclusion. Nor does it mean that other people always have it hard. It means that the current western social system is biased in favour of white people.

If your serious about this, if you are really really interested in actually doing something, the first step would be to understand where other people are coming from and what their life experiences are like. Get to know them.

Tags: