collapse

Author Topic: Prayers for finding my new dog.  (Read 3342 times)

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Prayers for finding my new dog.
« on: August 19, 2014, 01:06:30 pm »
Hey guys. So we adopted a bull Mastiff / pit bull mix yesterday, and this morning he got out. He's been gone for something like 6 hours now, and no sign of him.

We've contacted the town police, animal control, every pound in the area, and they all have my phone number if he's found. I drove around the entire area screaming his name. Most dogs can usually find their way home, but we haven't even had him 24 hours, and his previous mommy is a good 45 minute drive away.

Everything on the mundane end has been done, and I'm praying harder than I've ever prayed before. Any extra thoughts would be much appreciated.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Prayers for finding my new dog.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 02:00:26 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;156437

You're doing the right thing right now. Leaving out his bedding may help encourage him to come home.

Even though that's quite a distance, dogs and cats have been known to walk that plus longer to go to what they consider to be home. I'd check in with them to keep an eye out for him, and if they have any of his old bedding (or would agree to you giving them some of his), they might try putting that out as well.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 02:24:40 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;156444
You're doing the right thing right now. Leaving out his bedding may help encourage him to come home.

Even though that's quite a distance, dogs and cats have been known to walk that plus longer to go to what they consider to be home. I'd check in with them to keep an eye out for him, and if they have any of his old bedding (or would agree to you giving them some of his), they might try putting that out as well.

We've got his blanket out on the porch right now, but I don't have the contact info for the woman. My roommate who does isn't out of work for another few hours.

Apparently American bull mastiffs are fiercely protective of their items, and in the few hours we had him, I became his. That's how he got out, because he was trying to follow me. My boyfriend just said he wouldn't be surprised if Moo Moo (yeah, that's the dog's name) turned up at his work or parents' house, because that's where his car has been with my smell.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:53:16 pm »
Hey guys. So we adopted a bull Mastiff / pit bull mix yesterday, and this morning he got out. He's been gone for something like 6 hours now, and no sign of him.

We've contacted the town police, animal control, every pound in the area, and they all have my phone number if he's found. I drove around the entire area screaming his name. Most dogs can usually find their way home, but we haven't even had him 24 hours, and his previous mommy is a good 45 minute drive away.

Everything on the mundane end has been done, and I'm praying harder than I've ever prayed before. Any extra thoughts would be much appreciated.

I'll keep you and your dog in my thoughts and prayers. *hugs*

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 09:09:38 pm »
Quote from: Amber Seal;156472
I'll keep you and your dog in my thoughts and prayers. *hugs*

This is Moo Moo, the one we lost. I've never met a sweeter (large) dog, and I'm praying to any gods listening that he makes it back to us safe.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 08:58:31 am »

I'll try sending out "Go Home, Moo Moo!" vibes.

(((((missgraceless)))))
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:07:41 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;156794
I'll try sending out "Go Home, Moo Moo!" vibes.

(((((missgraceless)))))

Thank you all!

I got a call yesterday from a woman who works with a "lost dog" group, a volunteer organization called Dog Gone Recovery. The previous mommy Lexxie called her and gave her my number, and we've been working on getting the word out through posters, car-window-writings, and just handing out flyers to everyone we see. I'm fairly confident we'll find him with her help. She said she usually finds 9 out of 10 pets, and even if it takes a few weeks, I'm not letting my hopes drop. Her longest case was 70 days, but she still found the dog and brought it home.

The gods and your prayers have sent her to me, and I couldn't be more grateful. Thank you guys so much. :lub:

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 06:48:06 am »
Quote from: missgraceless;156796
Thank you all!

I got a call yesterday from a woman who works with a "lost dog" group, a volunteer organization called Dog Gone Recovery. The previous mommy Lexxie called her and gave her my number, and we've been working on getting the word out through posters, car-window-writings, and just handing out flyers to everyone we see. I'm fairly confident we'll find him with her help. She said she usually finds 9 out of 10 pets, and even if it takes a few weeks, I'm not letting my hopes drop. Her longest case was 70 days, but she still found the dog and brought it home.

The gods and your prayers have sent her to me, and I couldn't be more grateful. Thank you guys so much. :lub:

*UPDATE*

We found him. He made his way back home this morning. I'm so relieved, you have no idea.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 08:23:21 am »
Quote from: missgraceless;156907
*UPDATE*

We found him. He made his way back home this morning. I'm so relieved, you have no idea.

Yay, Moo Moo!  Good boy!  He gets a lovely slimy pig's ear!

I am so happy for you!  *hugs*
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

NiDara

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheism, Clann Bhride
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her they/them
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 03:01:56 pm »
*UPDATE*

*hugs* I'm happy to hear you got him back! :)

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 11:31:01 am »
*UPDATE*

Wooo hoooo!!! So glad he made it home safe and sound! :)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 07:15:52 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;156957
Wooo hoooo!!! So glad he made it home safe and sound! :)

Another update, rather than starting a new thread.

So unfortunately with his intense and quite annoying attachment to me, we had to give MooMoo up to a better home. He was getting too aggressive toward anyone who came near me, growling and barking. And there was just too much chaos in this house to deal with retraining a 1 year old who's already set in his ways.

I don't want to say I'm glad he's gone, because I'm not even remotely. But I'm glad he's going to a home much more suited to his personality and sheer size. An apartment with no yard, inhabited by 4-5 twenty-somethings at any given time, is no place for such a big dog.

The woman who took him today was actually the one who helped me find him to begin with. She's got a huge fenced in back yard in a quiet neighborhood, with an Old English Sheepdog named Boomer. Even if she can't keep him, she's got another good house lined up for him. So I have no fear that he's going to be treated any less than wonderfully.

Am I gonna miss him even though we've only had him 2 weeks? Absolutely. But I'd rather see him somewhere he'll be happy than dealing with the already too-high amounts of testosterone that we have here.

Tags: