collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Interest in Druidry  (Read 9376 times)

NightQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Interest in Druidry
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:55:12 am »
I've been contemplating Druidry recently.  I feel a connection to anything Celtic and always have.  I'm of Irish descent and have always felt a really strong connection to that side of my roots.  I also feel a real connection to nature and the earth.  I also have been feeling like a need a bit more structure to my practice.  I grew up Catholic and I think part of the reason I kept going back to it for so long, even though I knew I didn't really believe, was because I was drawn to the ritual aspect.

I decided to order the introductory course from the OBOD.  I think they might be a better fit for me than ADF.  

I don't worship any specific Gods or Goddesses currently and I don't have any real interest in worshiping them.  I sometimes describe myself as an Agnostic, which is neither untrue nor entirely accurate.  I believe there is a higher power, but what form that comes in I don't know and I'm not sure that humans are ever fully capable of understanding the divine.

Anyway from what I understand of ADF (and any members please correct me if I'm wrong), is that it is that their teachings are Polytheistic in nature and this is a non-negotiable aspect.  And that the OBOD is more philosophical teachings than a religion, per say.  I think that would work better with my current beliefs.  I know the course if kind of pricey but to be honest if I went out and bought books on my own I could probably manage to spend as much.  Besides, I'm a college student, the cost of materials no longer shocks me, when books for two classes cost five hundred dollars.;)

If anyone's done the OBOD course I was wondering how much time you put into it?  I'm currently in school and that does take up quite a bit of my time, but I also feel like I need something else in my life besides that and work.

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in Druidry
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 01:33:37 pm »
Quote from: NightQueen;156426
Anyway from what I understand of ADF (and any members please correct me if I'm wrong), is that it is that their teachings are Polytheistic in nature and this is a non-negotiable aspect.  And that the OBOD is more philosophical teachings than a religion, per say.  I think that would work better with my current beliefs.  I know the course if kind of pricey but to be honest if I went out and bought books on my own I could probably manage to spend as much.  Besides, I'm a college student, the cost of materials no longer shocks me, when books for two classes cost five hundred dollars.;)

Welcome to the neo-Druidry SIG!

You certainly don't have to be polytheistic to be an ADF member, though it is strongly encouraged that the Kindreds (ancestors, nature spirits, Gods) are treated as individual, existing beings while doing ADF ritual.  That said, I've found that many of the education and discussion aspects of the organization are designed to aid one on a polytheistic path.

I unfortunately am not very familiar wiith OBOD, so I can't offer much insight; but like you I have heard others say that it is more of a philosophy than a religion.

Good luck on your journey, wherever it leads you :)
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

NightQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 05:32:28 pm »
Quote from: Aiwelin;156438
Welcome to the neo-Druidry SIG!

You certainly don't have to be polytheistic to be an ADF member, though it is strongly encouraged that the Kindreds (ancestors, nature spirits, Gods) are treated as individual, existing beings while doing ADF ritual.  That said, I've found that many of the education and discussion aspects of the organization are designed to aid one on a polytheistic path.

I unfortunately am not very familiar wiith OBOD, so I can't offer much insight; but like you I have heard others say that it is more of a philosophy than a religion.

Good luck on your journey, wherever it leads you :)

Thanks for the info on ADF.  It doesn't sound like it's quite the right fit for me, but on a completely shallow note the name Ár nDraíocht Féin, is a really awesome name for an organization.  I'll wait for my introductory course from the OBOD and see how that goes and if it speaks to me.  In any case I think life more about the journey then the destination anyway so I'll enjoy myself either way.  

Thank you for the welcome.

Sisu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 08:39:41 pm »
Quote from: NightQueen;156480
Thanks for the info on ADF.  It doesn't sound like it's quite the right fit for me, but on a completely shallow note the name Ár nDraíocht Féin, is a really awesome name for an organization.  I'll wait for my introductory course from the OBOD and see how that goes and if it speaks to me.  In any case I think life more about the journey then the destination anyway so I'll enjoy myself either way.  

Thank you for the welcome.

I'm a member of ADF, but not OBOD. I'm curious about OBOD as well but I have a sneaking suspicion that it may not provide the structure I'm looking for since it seems to be more of a free for all with its ideologies..... aaaaaand I don't have the extra cash for it at the moment. I'm not recon by any means and ADF sometimes goes too far in the religious direction for my tastes but maybe there's a happy medium to be found between them. OBOD does seem to have an active forum on their website, which I've thought about joining since the Neo-Druidry board here can be very quiet.

I'd be interesting in hearing about your experience/impression of OBOD. :)

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 05:15:43 am »
I don't worship any specific Gods or Goddesses currently and I don't have any real interest in worshiping them.  I sometimes describe myself as an Agnostic, which is neither untrue nor entirely accurate.  I believe there is a higher power, but what form that comes in I don't know and I'm not sure that humans are ever fully capable of understanding the divine.

Welcome to OBOD! You certainly won't be alone in that philosophy/theology in OBOD. I know lots of agnostic OBODies.

Anyway from what I understand of ADF (and any members please correct me if I'm wrong), is that it is that their teachings are Polytheistic in nature and this is a non-negotiable aspect.  And that the OBOD is more philosophical teachings than a religion, per say.

There are certainly more polytheists in ADF than in OBOD. This is partly cultural (OBOD is based in the UK, where there are fewer polytheists generally) and partly based on teachings. OBOD sometimes describes itself as a philosophy, but it can also be seen as a spiritual path in itself. (Although some people combine it with other spiritual paths.) It's certainly less a religion than ADF is... although that also depends on your definition of religion. :D:

I know the course if kind of pricey but to be honest if I went out and bought books on my own I could probably manage to spend as much.  Besides, I'm a college student, the cost of materials no longer shocks me, when books for two classes cost five hundred dollars.;)

Yeah, I find that people complaining about the cost of OBOD courses often aren't taking into account the materials, teaching, community, and other things that you're getting with membership. Also, once you've bought the bardic grade materials you're a lifetime member and never have to pay anything else unless you want to do ovate and druid courses - which can make it very inexpensive indeed. For the last three years all I've been paying is £10 a year (I think) for the OBOD community magazine.

If anyone's done the OBOD course I was wondering how much time you put into it?  I'm currently in school and that does take up quite a bit of my time, but I also feel like I need something else in my life besides that and work.

Basically, it's one of those things where you get back what you put in. I would say that it really takes more than a year to complete, even though you can do it in a year. It took me two years in the end, and I know people who spend ten years or more on it. So you can spread the work out as much as you want. I spent a few hours a week on the exercises themselves, but there's lots of stuff you'll find you want to do in addition, like creative work (for the bardic grade) and nature-based things, and maybe rituals if you're the ritual type. But it's all up to you really.

Hope that helps - ask me to clarify if not!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

NightQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 08:08:17 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;156590
Welcome to OBOD! You certainly won't be alone in that philosophy/theology in OBOD. I know lots of agnostic OBODies.

Yeah, I find that people complaining about the cost of OBOD courses often aren't taking into account the materials, teaching, community, and other things that you're getting with membership. Also, once you've bought the bardic grade materials you're a lifetime member and never have to pay anything else unless you want to do ovate and druid courses - which can make it very inexpensive indeed. For the last three years all I've been paying is £10 a year (I think) for the OBOD community magazine.

When I looked at the cost its actually didn't seem that bad to me, especially for what you seem to get for it.  I can seriously spend five hundred bucks on books on a topic that really interests me in a year...easy.

Quote from:
Basically, it's one of those things where you get back what you put in. I would say that it really takes more than a year to complete, even though you can do it in a year. It took me two years in the end, and I know people who spend ten years or more on it. So you can spread the work out as much as you want. I spent a few hours a week on the exercises themselves, but there's lots of stuff you'll find you want to do in addition, like creative work (for the bardic grade) and nature-based things, and maybe rituals if you're the ritual type. But it's all up to you really.

Hope that helps - ask me to clarify if not!

That does help thank you.  I am interested in doing rituals.  I think I have an innate craving to feel part of a group and I like the idea of performing a ritual that other people all over the world are also performing, as if we are all connected somehow. If that makes any sense?  Like I said in my original post I think it maybe some latent Catholicism still left in me.  And I like the idea of being able to do that and also still be able to be unsure about the nature of the divine.

I'm sure that it will probably take me (much) more than a year to do the course.  I'm currently working full time and going to school full time (yes, I am an idiot:p), so I don't have a ton of free time, but I really feel like I need something else in my life besides those two things.  School is soul crushing enough on its own, but without something else meaningful it's even worse.  I've found that actually taking a break and doing other spiritual practices has helped me do better in school, so hopefully this will also help.  In any case I'm really looking forward to getting the introductory course and seeing how it works for me.

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 05:43:43 pm »

I decided to order the introductory course from the OBOD.  I think they might be a better fit for me than ADF.  

Hi! I'm thinking of picking up OBOD's intro package, too! They seem pretty close to a good fit for me but I have questions and I can't seem to find the right answers.

I keep reading that they are open to other paths, and that they not only teach Celtic knowledge, but that they use Other Sources as well.

Does anyone know what they mean? Is it just a generic sort of thing like, "Many different cultures teach about being kind to one another, for example Buddhism teaches this, Christianity has this teaching and..." Or is it more like, "Next Chapter: Chakras!, Chapter After That: Hoodoo!"

Obviously, I'm a bit befuddled by this concept and I can't seem to find the answers anywhere.

NightQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 05:01:50 pm »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;156668
Hi! I'm thinking of picking up OBOD's intro package, too! They seem pretty close to a good fit for me but I have questions and I can't seem to find the right answers.

I keep reading that they are open to other paths, and that they not only teach Celtic knowledge, but that they use Other Sources as well.

Does anyone know what they mean? Is it just a generic sort of thing like, "Many different cultures teach about being kind to one another, for example Buddhism teaches this, Christianity has this teaching and..." Or is it more like, "Next Chapter: Chakras!, Chapter After That: Hoodoo!"

Obviously, I'm a bit befuddled by this concept and I can't seem to find the answers anywhere.

I haven't received their Intro package yet, but I have been reading the articles on their website, which I would recommend doing.  There are a couple articles on concept that are certainly not Celtic in nature and how they relate to or complement Druidry..  Oddly enough there is an article about gem healing and Chakras.  But I think generally what they do is use Celtic myth and legend as lens through which you then view the world and yourself.  Any actual members please correct me if I am wrong.  In any case, I would really suggest reading through the articles in their library section of the website.

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 04:05:48 pm »
Quote from: NightQueen;157004
I haven't received their Intro package yet, but I have been reading the articles on their website, which I would recommend doing.  There are a couple articles on concept that are certainly not Celtic in nature and how they relate to or complement Druidry..  Oddly enough there is an article about gem healing and Chakras.  But I think generally what they do is use Celtic myth and legend as lens through which you then view the world and yourself.  Any actual members please correct me if I am wrong.  In any case, I would really suggest reading through the articles in their library section of the website.

Thanks for the advice. I have been reading their articles for a couple of weeks now, but I'm also reading so many books, blogs, articles and other pagan and Druidry websites that everything has kind of turned to mush in my head.

So, I took a bit of a break and now I'm back to re-reading their articles. I'm still not sure exactly what they are teaching so I ordered their intro package, too. I love the articles on their website, for the most part. Some don't quite ring true to my ears, and some seem a bit off, or out of my experience, but from what I understand they are an inclusive sort that encourages diversity in many forms. I'm looking forward to the intro material.

NightQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 03:52:11 pm »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;157603
Thanks for the advice. I have been reading their articles for a couple of weeks now, but I'm also reading so many books, blogs, articles and other pagan and Druidry websites that everything has kind of turned to mush in my head.

So, I took a bit of a break and now I'm back to re-reading their articles. I'm still not sure exactly what they are teaching so I ordered their intro package, too. I love the articles on their website, for the most part. Some don't quite ring true to my ears, and some seem a bit off, or out of my experience, but from what I understand they are an inclusive sort that encourages diversity in many forms. I'm looking forward to the intro material.

I'll be interested to see what you think when you get the package.  I just got mine a few days ago.  I haven't really had time to sit down and go through the entire thing, since school also started for me this week, but from what I've seen I think I'll wind up doing the entire course.  As a note, OBOD makes it clear that you aren't required to believe any of the teachings, so if something doesn't work for you, don't do it.  You can also always go back to something later and see if it resonates with you then.

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 06:05:13 pm »
Quote from: NightQueen;157846
I'll be interested to see what you think when you get the package.  I just got mine a few days ago.  I haven't really had time to sit down and go through the entire thing, since school also started for me this week, but from what I've seen I think I'll wind up doing the entire course.  As a note, OBOD makes it clear that you aren't required to believe any of the teachings, so if something doesn't work for you, don't do it.  You can also always go back to something later and see if it resonates with you then.

Awesome that you got yours already. I can't wait to get mine. I've spent a lot of time looking around at the various schools of Druidry and OBOD seems like the best for me. That said, I'm still checking out the New Order of Druids and the AODA. Both see quite interesting. I think a revival style is best for me, even though I love the idea of recon, because so little is known about the original druids and I don't know if Celtic Reconstruction is right for me, when I consider my god-beliefs.

I'll let you know what I think when I get mine. Keep me updated on what you think about yours. :)

New-Seeker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 06:47:32 pm »
Quote from: NightQueen;157846

Hi :D I've been doing a lot of looking at Druidry and came very close to signing up for the OBOD course - I ordered and received the introductory package a few weeks ago.

It's VERY well done and packed full of great information. The main reason I didn't (yet) sign up further was because it was a bit too 'general' for me. I think I need something that has a more defined path to follow but I understand exactly why OBOD is, and needs to be, tailored in this way.

I'd be really interested to know what you think of it.

New-Seeker

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 01:33:39 pm »
Quote from: New-Seeker;157921
Hi :D I've been doing a lot of looking at Druidry and came very close to signing up for the OBOD course - I ordered and received the introductory package a few weeks ago.

It's VERY well done and packed full of great information. The main reason I didn't (yet) sign up further was because it was a bit too 'general' for me. I think I need something that has a more defined path to follow but I understand exactly why OBOD is, and needs to be, tailored in this way.

I'd be really interested to know what you think of it.

Having thought about OBOD for a while I'm going to sign up at the middle of the month :D:

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 04:19:21 pm »
Quote from: New-Seeker;158155
Having thought about OBOD for a while I'm going to sign up at the middle of the month :D:

Awesome! I can't wait to get my introductory stuff. So far I've been looking for books to help me learn while I wait. I am really looking forward to learning what OBOD has to say. And teach.

What changed your mind, if you don't mind me asking?

NightQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 05:25:04 pm »
Quote from: New-Seeker;158155

I just pulled the trigger (so to speak) today and signed up for the entire course.  I really enjoyed the intro package and I'm looking forward to continuing the course.  There is also an OBOD Grove about three hours from me, which isn't too bad of a drive.  I was thinking about contacting them when I get further into the course.

Tags: