"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Baby Steps Chat  (Read 6375 times)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Baby Steps Chat
« on: August 18, 2014, 02:52:54 pm »
In the same veins as Jenett and savvy, what would people like to see covered in a chat specific to Baby Steps?

For anyone unfamiliar with the Baby Steps concept, here are some resources for you:
And, of course, so many threads in the FlameKeeping SIG. ;)
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Baby Steps Chat
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 02:58:37 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;156287
In the same veins as Jenett and savvy, what would people like to see covered in a chat specific to Baby Steps?

For anyone unfamiliar with the Baby Steps concept, here are some resources for you:
And, of course, so many threads in the FlameKeeping SIG. ;)

I'd like to see advice on managing mental health issues with religious exploration. As well tips on discerning between "I am staying in my comfort zone because I don't have spoons for anything else as this is good for me" versus "I am staying in my comfort zone because it's scary out there!!!"

Are those baby steps topics?
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 03:08:02 pm »
Quote from: Sage;156289
I'd like to see advice on managing mental health issues with religious exploration. As well tips on discerning between "I am staying in my comfort zone because I don't have spoons for anything else as this is good for me" versus "I am staying in my comfort zone because it's scary out there!!!"

I am with Sage on this^

Also, in that same vein, I'd like to see how to increase baby steps slowly, until one is fully walking normal pace? I mean, I can do baby steps, but I don't know how to increase my baby steps slowly? I hope that makes sense.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 03:22:03 pm »

Yes, they are and can be covered.

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 03:22:23 pm »
Quote from: Raine;156290
I am with Sage on this^

Also, in that same vein, I'd like to see how to increase baby steps slowly, until one is fully walking normal pace? I mean, I can do baby steps, but I don't know how to increase my baby steps slowly? I hope that makes sense.

Excellent idea.  We can cover that as well.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 03:29:34 pm »
tips on discerning between "I am staying in my comfort zone because I don't have spoons for anything else as this is good for me" versus "I am staying in my comfort zone because it's scary out there!!!"

This yes more of this.

Also, did you see Juni's blog post on productivity? I'd like to see Doing More and Doing Less, if that makes sense - how to make small things count, rather than trying to do a ton, half-assing, failing and giving up.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 05:24:41 pm »
Quote from: Jack;156295
This yes more of this.

Also, did you see Juni's blog post on productivity? I'd like to see Doing More and Doing Less, if that makes sense - how to make small things count, rather than trying to do a ton, half-assing, failing and giving up.

That sounds amazingly up my alley. Basically I want to be more efficient with my spiritual life, you know? The most bang for my buck. I cannot do All The Things, but which Things specifically should I be doing? More importantly, how can I learn to gauge that?

Maybe in general learning to set goals for spiritual exploration and learning. Like, okay, I've decided that energetic hygiene is something I need to look into for my own health and sanity, but I've had problems in the past sensing energy. I know I need to practice things like grounding and centering, but - but as someone who can't sense well on my own, how do I know if I'm doing things right vs. it all being in my head?

(And while "it's all in my head" is an answer I am perfectly comfortable with in terms of deity-based UPG, it is not an acceptable answer for me when it comes to "will this help me manage spoons?")
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 08:59:18 pm »
Quote from: Sage;156313
That sounds amazingly up my alley. Basically I want to be more efficient with my spiritual life, you know? The most bang for my buck. I cannot do All The Things, but which Things specifically should I be doing? More importantly, how can I learn to gauge that?

Maybe in general learning to set goals for spiritual exploration and learning. Like, okay, I've decided that energetic hygiene is something I need to look into for my own health and sanity, but I've had problems in the past sensing energy. I know I need to practice things like grounding and centering, but - but as someone who can't sense well on my own, how do I know if I'm doing things right vs. it all being in my head?

(And while "it's all in my head" is an answer I am perfectly comfortable with in terms of deity-based UPG, it is not an acceptable answer for me when it comes to "will this help me manage spoons?")

Pretty much aaaaall of this, and all the other points made. :) I think we might need more than one chat by the sounds of it (if possible)
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 02:48:24 am »
Quote from: Jack;156295
This yes more of this.

Yes, would really like this! I need to work on basic goal-setting, but also on sticking to those goals.

Adapting baby steps when you have to take extremely small ones for health reasons, would interest me as a sub-topic of this. How do I value my very very little steps, while simultaneously not being satisfied with laziness? I always struggle with this!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 09:54:46 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;156387
Yes, would really like this! I need to work on basic goal-setting, but also on sticking to those goals.

Adapting baby steps when you have to take extremely small ones for health reasons, would interest me as a sub-topic of this. How do I value my very very little steps, while simultaneously not being satisfied with laziness? I always struggle with this!

Hanging this here.  We can discuss all of this.

So, times/dates that work for people?  I work from home on Wednesdays, and I'm on the East Coast of the United States which is, I think, UTC-4 at this time of year?

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 10:15:23 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;156417

So, times/dates that work for people?  I work from home on Wednesdays, and I'm on the East Coast of the United States which is, I think, UTC-4 at this time of year?

East Coast is indeed currently at UTC-4.  I am in Mountain (currently UTC-6), and usually online during most weekdays, as well as some weekday evenings (any day EXCEPT Wednesday). Weekends continue to be a bit busy for me.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 10:29:14 am »
Quote from: Amphibian;156418
East Coast is indeed currently at UTC-4.  I am in Mountain (currently UTC-6), and usually online during most weekdays, as well as some weekday evenings (any day EXCEPT Wednesday). Weekends continue to be a bit busy for me.

I'm UTC+1 at the moment. I can do chat up until 10pm or 11pm UTC, give or take. Which I guess is afternoon for most East coast USians.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 10:41:23 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;156420
I'm UTC+1 at the moment. I can do chat up until 10pm or 11pm UTC, give or take. Which I guess is afternoon for most East coast USians.

I, uhh, have no idea how to use time in UTC, but Mondays or Wensdays is the best days for me. They'll be the days I have college (hopefully), but also the days I can't really work for other personal reasons.

I should be able to do afternoons/evenings.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 12:08:44 pm »
Quote from: Raine;156422
I, uhh, have no idea how to use time in UTC, but Mondays or Wensdays is the best days for me. They'll be the days I have college (hopefully), but also the days I can't really work for other personal reasons.

I should be able to do afternoons/evenings.

I really want to go to this chat, but I'm only really available after 5:30 EST on weekdays due to work, though I am mostly free on weekends.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 12:28:04 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;156417

Hanging this here- I'm definitely interested in this chat, and I can be there pretty much any time. :)
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Tags: