collapse

Author Topic: Is a wand necessary?  (Read 2709 times)

Sobek

• View Profile
Is a wand necessary?
« on: August 18, 2014, 12:00:07 am »
Hi,

I am wishing to start learning about magick, particularly after I had this strange and sudden craving for a wand. But I wish a few tips first; Number one: Is it actually necessary to have a wand? Are there other types of Magick directing instruments? Number two: Should a wand be found and hand made or bought at a store? and, finally, number three: Are there any particular preparations and precautions that need to be implemented before trying to use a wand in practise?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Nehes Em Hotep,

Sobek.
Homage to you, Osiris, Lord of eternity, King of the gods, whose names are manifold, whose forms are holy, you being of hidden form in the temples, whose Ka is holy.
Hymn to Osiris - Egyptian Book of the Dead

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is a wand necessary?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 03:54:17 am »
Quote from: Sobek;156183
Hi,

I am wishing to start learning about magick, particularly after I had this strange and sudden craving for a wand. But I wish a few tips first; Number one: Is it actually necessary to have a wand? Are there other types of Magick directing instruments? Number two: Should a wand be found and hand made or bought at a store? and, finally, number three: Are there any particular preparations and precautions that need to be implemented before trying to use a wand in practise?

Nehes Em Hotep,

Sobek.

I can't see where it would be 'necessary' (unless so stipulated by some group practice you wish to join in with). It's a matter of taste and comfort. It can be a tool but like all tools, different people use different kinds. I think some people are a bit more tactile and feel more comfortable and/or in control if they have something tangible to focus on.

Other people may have other opinions but for me, it's up to you how and what tools to use. If you do decide to use one,I'm pretty sure there are other people here who can point you in the direction of proper use, care and maintenance:)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 04:14:22 am »
I am wishing to start learning about magick, particularly after I had this strange and sudden craving for a wand. But I wish a few tips first; Number one: Is it actually necessary to have a wand? Are there other types of Magick directing instruments?

I am not Kemetic, but I have often seen images of Sobek holding some kind of staff or rod. Is it possible that's why?

For the practice of magic in general, the wand is not necessary, though it's a popular tool to recommend to beginners in many introductory books. Athames, staves, and similarly phallic tools are popularly used to direct energy.

Number two: Should a wand be found and hand made or bought at a store?

The former is more likely to result in a wand that has your energy already in it, and will hopefully be a perfect match for your needs, but the latter is perfectly acceptable. Wands I have used include: a broken-off car antenna, a copper tube I bought at a hobby store, sticks I harvested or collected, sticks other people harvested or collected, and a Harry Potter-style wand I bought at the renaissance faire. (And I generally prefer staves and knives to wands. This is just to give you an idea of your options.)

and, finally, number three: Are there any particular preparations and precautions that need to be implemented before trying to use a wand in practise?

I can't think of anything specific I would recommend over and above the general "safety" practices - grounding, shielding, circle-calling, or whatever is called for in the magical tradition that you're learning.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sobek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 10:21:00 am »
Quote from: Jack;156205

Thank you for the in depth answers! Very very helpful!

N.E.H. :)
Homage to you, Osiris, Lord of eternity, King of the gods, whose names are manifold, whose forms are holy, you being of hidden form in the temples, whose Ka is holy.
Hymn to Osiris - Egyptian Book of the Dead

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 04:33:33 pm »
Hi,

Nehes Em Hotep,

Sobek.

I'm not Kemetic but I finally accepted that I was never ever going to use my pretty handmade hazel wand that was still languishing in it's pretty handmade velvet bag with all  the tags still attached.  I bought it about 10 years ago  thinking that I really should have a "proper" wand. It has now been re-homed and I hope has found a more appreciative owner.

I'm still using the piece of driftwood I picked up off the beach x years ago on the very rare occasions I actually feel I need a wand which is during one specific rite that I do a couple of times a year - if that.

I do still have my stang but that features more as a focal point and altar than a directing tool and my ritual knife. The knife I'm afraid still remains unused. Another piece of great beauty but I've not yet found a single use for it.

Ferelia

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 05:41:52 am »
Number one: Is it actually necessary to have a wand? Are there other types of Magick directing instruments?

Once I spend a lot of money for books and tools because around 10-14 years ago, a lot of Wicca-related shops popped up in my city. Later I realized that most of the stuff was completely unnecessary.

...in general, I'd always recommend to use free things first, like something you already own or you can pick up outside in nature (like a stick which you can pimp, or just a wooden spoon, Jacks car antenna (I love that!!), your finger, a knife and so on...). If you notice that you really use the wand and that it's a valuable tool for you, you can always buy an expensive one later.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 06:21:50 am »
Quote from: Ferelia;156403
Jacks car antenna (I love that!!)

Oh, I can't take credit for that, I nicked the idea from the Who Wants To Be A Wizard books by Diane Duane.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Daecon

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 02:58:21 pm »
Quote from: Jack;156406
Oh, I can't take credit for that, I nicked the idea from the Who Wants To Be A Wizard books by Diane Duane.

I remember that book, the "noon forged" steel.  

I would note that the real advantage of a wand is that they are so easy to construct.  Unlike an athame which needs experience in metal forging, a wand can be made at any skill level.  This also means you could create a specialized one for a specific spell or type of magic.   I have one that is used only for summoning and banishing spells.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 08:48:04 pm »

Given you're a Kemetic practicioner, perhaps you might use a serpent-shaped wand? I believe the ancient Egyptians magicians used serpent shaped wands made of metal.

I doubt there are many in stores, so perhaps you can make one?

They're not neccesary, the only neccesary thing is you, but they're great as a mystic equivalent of a pointer.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:18:19 pm by SunflowerP »
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Siren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 08:40:29 am »
Quote from: Cuthwin Crowe;158883
Given you're a Kemetic practicioner, perhaps you might use a serpent-shaped wand? I believe the ancient Egyptians magicians used serpent shaped wands made of metal.

I doubt there are many in stores, so perhaps you can make one?

They're not neccesary, the only neccesary thing is you, but they're great as a mystic equivalent of a pointer.

Sacred Source used to have one. I don't think they do anymore, but they might be floating around ebay if you're OK with pre-owned items.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 09:30:50 am »
Quote from: Siren;158906
Sacred Source used to have one. I don't think they do anymore, but they might be floating around ebay if you're OK with pre-owned items.

One could be easily forged if you have a hammer, some rebar, and a source of heat. Just heat the metal red hot, hammerout the texture bits, twist it into a wavy line, and use a dremel or some such to add eyes and mouth when it cools.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Wimsaur

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 10:15:45 am »
Hi,

Nehes Em Hotep,

Sobek.

Firstly, the power of magickal tools comes from the magickian's symbolic understanding of them.
The more you use them, the more powerful they become--mostly due to mental attributions.
Once you fully identify with them, they will become part of you.
That said, making those tools yourself will make them a lot more powerful.

Getting back to your question, the use of tools is not necessary but can invoke certain consciousness within the operator that can be very helpful.
The more you work with them, the easier it becomes to get into the proper mindset for doing magickal work.

Tags: