Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: The Librarian Is In: Research chat topic suggestions  (Read 5422 times)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
The Librarian Is In: Research chat topic suggestions
« on: August 15, 2014, 06:16:42 pm »
As per the topical chat thread, here's a thread for people to stick things that they might like to have chats about.

I'm also very willing to do a general thread about research skills, but a lot of the best conversations about research are sort of organic, so it may also make sense to do a summary of the chat for people who can't be there, and then riff on the topic further as needed, so I'm starting with "Here, let's collect topics." and we can go from there.

So! Topics! Please suggest!

(Also, if you have notes on scheduling: my own schedule is such that it's almost certainly likely to be mid-evening Eastern Time on weeknights or weekend days or evenings, but I'd love to see other people with research skills do some too.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: The Librarian Is In: Research chat topic suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 06:40:58 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;155862

I'd love to learn more about how to find and access academic journal articles online, for those of us who don't have access to a university library.

I'd also like to learn more about how to wring the most out of a Google search, as well as how to best use Google Scholar. And any tools I don't know about yet.

(I'm not a bad researcher, myself, having made it through both MA and JD degrees. But I graduated from law school in 1999, as online databases were just becoming widely available, so I'm not nearly as well versed in online research as I'd like to be.)
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 06:55:55 pm »

While this feels like a 101-level thing, some discussion of the search algorithms and how to tell the engine (in my case, usually Google) what you're actually looking for and refine the search to get better results. A lot of the time I look for something and either get a lot of 'useless' results (related but not actually answering the relevant thing) before finding the information, or my query gets completely misinterpreted and the top twentyodd hits are about something Totally Unrelated.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 07:19:00 pm »

I don't know if this is within the scope of what you have in mind but I'd love to have a discussion about using academic sources in non-academic contexts and how to do so meaningfully.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 07:58:50 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;155866
I'd love to learn more about how to find and access academic journal articles online, for those of us who don't have access to a university library.

I'd also like to learn more about how to wring the most out of a Google search, as well as how to best use Google Scholar. And any tools I don't know about yet.

Both excellent questions!
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:00:42 pm »
Quote from: Amphibian;155868
While this feels like a 101-level thing, some discussion of the search algorithms and how to tell the engine (in my case, usually Google) what you're actually looking for and refine the search to get better results. A lot of the time I look for something and either get a lot of 'useless' results (related but not actually answering the relevant thing) before finding the information, or my query gets completely misinterpreted and the top twentyodd hits are about something Totally Unrelated.

See, this is what I meant by prep work: there's at least two books I'd want to poke at for a deeper understanding of some of the algorithm designs.

(This is also a cool one to do real time, for some reasons I could explain in the process, because a lot of search engines, including Google, base your search info on various bits of availalbe data they can see, like location and cookies on your machine.)

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 08:36:35 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;155884
See, this is what I meant by prep work: there's at least two books I'd want to poke at for a deeper understanding of some of the algorithm designs.

(This is also a cool one to do real time, for some reasons I could explain in the process, because a lot of search engines, including Google, base your search info on various bits of availalbe data they can see, like location and cookies on your machine.)

My suggestions are pretty much all of those made above, but I didn't have the knowledge to really explain what I'd suggest? I'm pretty computer illiterate, sooo, any info is good info?
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 09:15:56 pm »
Quote from: Jack;155872
I don't know if this is within the scope of what you have in mind but I'd love to have a discussion about using academic sources in non-academic contexts and how to do so meaningfully.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 02:31:13 am »
As per the topical chat thread, here's a thread for people to stick things that they might like to have chats about.

I'm also very willing to do a general thread about research skills, but a lot of the best conversations about research are sort of organic, so it may also make sense to do a summary of the chat for people who can't be there, and then riff on the topic further as needed, so I'm starting with "Here, let's collect topics." and we can go from there.

(Also, if you have notes on scheduling: my own schedule is such that it's almost certainly likely to be mid-evening Eastern Time on weeknights or weekend days or evenings, but I'd love to see other people with research skills do some too.)

I'd be interested in dropping in on this, my only thing would be when organising time, could we possibly use UTC? It's just really confusing trying to figure out which Eastern Time you're referring to. I strongly suspect it wont be the same as my Eastern Time :P
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 03:09:40 am »
Quote from: savvy;155943
I'd be interested in dropping in on this, my only thing would be when organising time, could we possibly use UTC? It's just really confusing trying to figure out which Eastern Time you're referring to. I strongly suspect it wont be the same as my Eastern Time :P

I'd also be very keen to join a real-time chat, if we can organise it at a time when I'm awake. I'm pretty good at basic information skills, but the internet-based ones still elude me a bit. I've taken seminars on using information search engines other than Google Scholar, and getting the best out of Google Scholar itself, but I'm still quite lost. I tend to type in my subject and hope for the best.

Lovely of you to offer this!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 08:46:04 am »
Quote from: savvy;155943

Heh. Yes. When I sort out an actual time, I'll give time ranges. (For people who don't know, I'm on the East Coast of the US, and angling the current job hunt to stay in the same time zone, though we'll see how that goes.)

Tags: