Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Author Topic: Topical Chats! For all your curiousity ailments  (Read 8061 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Topical Chats! For all your curiousity ailments
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 05:30:09 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;155810

If there's interest, I'll start a thread, and we can use it for specific topics. (Like "How do you get awesome academic articles if you are not at an academic institution!" and "The secrets of advanced Google searches" and so on.)

Any chance we could do this topic as a thread?  Some of us can't do chat for various reasons (e.g., my cognitive problems that won't let me read fast enough) but would still be VERY interested in learning more about these things.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 06:06:06 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;155858
Any chance we could do this topic as a thread?  Some of us can't do chat for various reasons (e.g., my cognitive problems that won't let me read fast enough) but would still be VERY interested in learning more about these things.

I am also good with doing it as a thread (or doing the chat and then doing a summary of stuff that came up, and riffing on it from there.)

Let me go start a "what should we talk about" thread, because some of this stuff might take me a little prep work (or at least thinking about in advance) to do well.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 06:35:29 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;155861
I am also good with doing it as a thread (or doing the chat and then doing a summary of stuff that came up, and riffing on it from there.)

Cool.

I hope I didn't come across as being anti-chat. I get that it's a great medium for some people and I have no problem with that.  I'm just hoping the info can *also* be made available to those of us who don't or can't access it via chat. Posting a summary in a thread after the chat happens would be perfect, especially if that thread will also be open for questions.

Quote from: Jenett;155861
Let me go start a "what should we talk about" thread, because some of this stuff might take me a little prep work (or at least thinking about in advance) to do well.

Jenett, I just want to say that I'm in awe of both the informative way you post and the actual information you post.  I *always* learn something from you.

I know I'm not the only one who would be extremely grateful to you for sharing your knowledge of how to access information.  Thank you for offering to do this.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 06:40:08 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;155858

I'd really appreciate this too! I think chat and board posts would complement each other. And if topics become popular enough on the boards, they could warrant multiple chats.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 07:50:51 pm »
Quote from: Jack;155836
I would definitely be interested in Baltic/Slavic discussion.

I dunno what I would volunteer to facilitate. Maybe pop culture paganism chat?

I'd be really interested in a pop culture paganism chat.  I love reading your posts about it :)
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 07:56:24 pm »
Quote from: Tom;155857
So, this is the stuff you get up to when I'm sleeping or at work. And yes, I would be very up for a Baltic/Slavic chat.

Also for a pop culture one should Jack host one. One on the basics would be very nice too.

I guess I'll start a new thread today about getting a Baltic/Slavic chat going.

I'd also really be interested in a chat on the basics of magic practices. However, I'm very much a newbie there right now, so I'd likely be discussing sources I'm looking at, like Jenett's website.
-Lewis Carroll

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 08:00:33 pm »
Quote from: Sage;155865
I'd really appreciate this too! I think chat and board posts would complement each other. And if topics become popular enough on the boards, they could warrant multiple chats.

I'll admit, I am hoping that this goes in the direction of regular chats. It would be nice to see more of the MUX getting used. I like the idea of chats having summary in their corresponding thread.
-Lewis Carroll

Aranel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 01:21:23 pm »
Quote from: savvy;155796
I thought that it might be a good idea to start having scheduled chats on specific topics in the MUX. Anyone can organise a chat on a topic of their choosing, they could be on your particular path, a SIG, the best pie fillings, whatever you might be interested in.

You can field for interest in this thread, then fine tune the details in a new thread of your own!

These chats would occur in a room outside of the main chat room. We have an assortment of public rooms.

It might be worth checking out the MUX FAQ to get your bearings if you're not familiar with the chat. Also please consider requesting an account if you don't have one already.

Probably sounds stupid but maybe a chat about how to use MUX? I know there's the FAQ but I personally can't really understand what's in the FAQ as it comes across assuming that I already have some knowledge of MUX or similar things when in fact I'd never heard of MUX until I joined TC (although that's probably down to my brain rather than the actual FAQ but I can't make it out). Also, most of what I was struggling with in MUX wasn't mentioned in the FAQ anyway and I didn't want to constantly interrupt the chat to ask questions.
It doesn't matter to me personally anymore as I can't get on MUX without it crashing my laptop but I've seen in the gentler on newbies thread that other people don't really understand MUX so it might be helpful.  A sort of workshop on how to use it, really.

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 08:51:38 am »
Quote from: savvy;155880
I guess I'll start a new thread today about getting a Baltic/Slavic chat going.

I'd also really be interested in a chat on the basics of magic practices. However, I'm very much a newbie there right now, so I'd likely be discussing sources I'm looking at, like Jenett's website.

I'd be really interested in a basics of magic chat, as well. I'm a newbie too, though.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 09:06:19 am »
Quote from: savvy;155796
I thought that it might be a good idea to start having scheduled chats on specific topics in the MUX. Anyone can organise a chat on a topic of their choosing, they could be on your particular path, a SIG, the best pie fillings, whatever you might be interested in.

Would anyone be interested in a chat about accessibility at Pagan events? Or a sociology of religion chat? (Could be about religion and politics today, or secularization, or the place of Paganism in society/ies today, or interfaith work...) I'll see if I can think of anything else, or anything more specific than that.

On a more practice-orientated note, I'd love to take part in a druidry chat - there's such a diverse range of druids at TC, and we could talk about the different directions that druidry is going in, in different parts of the world, at the moment.

All the chats mentioned so far sound fantastic! I'd be keen to attend ones that can be in a mutually convenient time slot.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 09:12:39 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;156064
Would anyone be interested in a chat about accessibility at Pagan events? Or a sociology of religion chat? (Could be about religion and politics today, or secularization, or the place of Paganism in society/ies today, or interfaith work...) I'll see if I can think of anything else, or anything more specific than that.

On a more practice-orientated note, I'd love to take part in a druidry chat - there's such a diverse range of druids at TC, and we could talk about the different directions that druidry is going in, in different parts of the world, at the moment.

All the chats mentioned so far sound fantastic! I'd be keen to attend ones that can be in a mutually convenient time slot.

I would love a druidry chat. It would be really interesting to hear from all the different paths that druidry can encompass.

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 09:33:01 am »

I'm interested in both honestly :)
-Lewis Carroll

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 02:28:29 am »

I would be interested in just about any of those!
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 10:24:21 am »

I'd certainly be interested, Naomi! If it takes part at a time where I could attend.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Tags: