Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Home: Roman Oil Lamp ?  (Read 2436 times)

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Roman Oil Lamp ?
« on: August 14, 2014, 12:33:40 pm »
For a very long time I have been looking at roman oil lamps. Does anyone use a reproduction roman oil lamp in their home? Does it give a lot of soot and / or smoke ? How fast does the olive oil burn up in such a lamp ? Any advice on using a roman oil lamp ? :confused:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:36:48 am by RandallS »

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Oil Lamp ?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 09:45:24 pm »
Quote from: Nerys53;155673
For a very long time I have been looking at roman oil lamps. Does anyone use a reproduction roman oil lamp in their home? Does it give a lot of soot and / or smoke ? How fast does the olive oil burn up in such a lamp ? Any advice on using a roman oil lamp ? :confused:

I don't use a Roman style lamp, but I do use an olive oil lamp every night (like this one: https://www.lehmans.com/p-4708-merry-corliss-chamber-olive-oil-lamp.aspx). I wouldn't think this style would produce smoke much differently from a Roman reproduction, so my experience might be helpful.

I light mine every night around sundown and blow it out when I go to bed, which varies widely.  It produces pretty much no visible smoke, although some soot does build up in the jar and on the wall behind it over time (months or years).  

The oil lasts a decent length of time.  I usually fill it to the top of the wick holder each night, which amounts to maybe a quarter of a cup of oil or so.  On a normal night, maybe half or less of that will be burned off before I go to sleep.  If I happen to forget to blow it out, that much oil will burn for 8 - 10 hours before guttering.

I don't know if the difference in the shape of the lamp or the kind of wick would make much difference.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 02:12:42 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;155900
I don't use a Roman style lamp, but I do use an olive oil lamp every night (like this one: https://www.lehmans.com/p-4708-merry-corliss-chamber-olive-oil-lamp.aspx). I wouldn't think this style would produce smoke much differently from a Roman reproduction, so my experience might be helpful.

I light mine every night around sundown and blow it out when I go to bed, which varies widely.  It produces pretty much no visible smoke, although some soot does build up in the jar and on the wall behind it over time (months or years).  

The oil lasts a decent length of time.  I usually fill it to the top of the wick holder each night, which amounts to maybe a quarter of a cup of oil or so.  On a normal night, maybe half or less of that will be burned off before I go to sleep.  If I happen to forget to blow it out, that much oil will burn for 8 - 10 hours before guttering.

I don't know if the difference in the shape of the lamp or the kind of wick would make much difference.

Thanks for the answer. This is it http://www.britishmuseumshoponline.org/invt/cmcr91100/?ref=searchzone

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 03:24:11 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;155939
Thanks for the answer. This is it http://www.britishmuseumshoponline.org/invt/cmcr91100/?ref=searchzone

Yes, I've seen similar reproductions.

You might get more soot on you wall than with my lamp, since there's no jar around the wick to act like a chimney and catch any of the soot.

Otherwise, I'd think it would behave pretty much like my lamp.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tags: