Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Astronomical Double-Whammy in December  (Read 2957 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Astronomical Double-Whammy in December
« on: August 14, 2014, 11:58:23 am »
Folks may already know this, but I just looked up the moment of the December 2014 solstice (December 21, 11:03 PM UTC) and the moment of the new moon in December (December 22, 1:36 AM UTC)--they fall within 2 hours of each other this year, which is about as close to simultaneous as you're likely to get. So both the sun in the northern hemisphere and the moon will be at low ebb at the same time. This doesn't happen very often...maybe once in ? years.

For lucky pagans in England, the moment between winter solstice and new moon falls right around midnight. That should make for some powerful mojo there!

For us on the North American east coast, our mojo will max out (or more accurately, bottom out) around 7 PM on Dec. 21. A good time for any "banishing" of stuff from one's life.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Astronomical Double-Whammy in December
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 12:21:40 pm »
Quote from: Altair;155671
Folks may already know this, but I just looked up the moment of the December 2014 solstice (December 21, 11:03 PM UTC) and the moment of the new moon in December (December 22, 1:36 AM UTC)--they fall within 2 hours of each other this year, which is about as close to simultaneous as you're likely to get. So both the sun in the northern hemisphere and the moon will be at low ebb at the same time. This doesn't happen very often...maybe once in ? years.

For lucky pagans in England, the moment between winter solstice and new moon falls right around midnight. That should make for some powerful mojo there!

For us on the North American east coast, our mojo will max out (or more accurately, bottom out) around 7 PM on Dec. 21. A good time for any "banishing" of stuff from one's life.

I had not looked that far ahead on calendar thanks for posting this here.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 01:35:43 pm »

If I remember, I'm more likely to make some kind of resolution on that date. The depths of winter and darkness are a good time to initiate something, in my opinion. Let it gestate and grow strong in Mother Night. That way, when I take action on it, I know it'll have planted good roots.

By the way...I know Mother Night (Modranacht) is the Germanic term for the solstice, but can someone point me to which culture? I read it in a book some time ago, and it just really clicked for me.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 01:49:26 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;155675

By the way...I know Mother Night (Modranacht) is the Germanic term for the solstice, but can someone point me to which culture? I read it in a book some time ago, and it just really clicked for me.

From Wikipedia, so take with whatever grains of salt:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C5%8Ddraniht
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 02:06:17 pm »
Quote from: Altair;155677
From Wikipedia, so take with whatever grains of salt:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C5%8Ddraniht

Anglo Saxon? Ha! My ancestry is from the British Isles. And I like the idea of calling to the female spirits.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:34:19 am »

Somewhere in the world this will happen at the middle of the night (halfway between sunset and sunrise) and will be about the best time one is likely to get for magic that benefits from waning solar and lunar energy. I wonder if anyone will plan a trip around it? I can see someone with important magic to do (and the cash and vaction time, of course) doing so.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 11:06:46 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;155779
Somewhere in the world this will happen at the middle of the night (halfway between sunset and sunrise) and will be about the best time one is likely to get for magic that benefits from waning solar and lunar energy. I wonder if anyone will plan a trip around it? I can see someone with important magic to do (and the cash and vaction time, of course) doing so.

I'm pretty sure that's in England, Randall; in London on the 21st, for example, sunset is a few minutes before 4 PM, and sunrise the next morning is a few minutes after 8 AM. That puts midnight smack in the middle--which is also right between the moment of solstice and the moment of the new moon, and less than 2 hours distant from either precise moment.

Who's up for a trip to England for some major midnight magic? (I know, I know; some of you live there, you lucky dogs!)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:12:34 am »
Quote from: Altair;156734
Who's up for a trip to England for some major midnight magic? (I know, I know; some of you live there, you lucky dogs!)

It'd take that major of mojo to get me there, unfortunately. So I guess it's the "chicken and the egg" all over again. It does sound like those who live there ought to consider taking advantage of this, however.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 09:36:14 am »
Quote from: Altair;156734
I'm pretty sure that's in England, Randall; in London on the 21st, for example, sunset is a few minutes before 4 PM, and sunrise the next morning is a few minutes after 8 AM. That puts midnight smack in the middle--which is also right between the moment of solstice and the moment of the new moon, and less than 2 hours distant from either precise moment.

I have a sofa-bed, if anyone wants to crash here! :D:
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 09:38:00 am »
Quote from: RandallS;156797
It'd take that major of mojo to get me there, unfortunately. So I guess it's the "chicken and the egg" all over again. It does sound like those who live there ought to consider taking advantage of this, however.

Anyone with more astronomical knowledge than me (which is most people!) willing to tell me what else this could be good for, apart from banishing? I will certainly try a bit of banishing, though. This is going to be a fun solstice night.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 12:24:28 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;156801
I have a sofa-bed, if anyone wants to crash here! :D:

I'm sorely tempted, Naomi!

But now I have the crazy idea of going to Iceland for a long solstice weekend:

• They're only an hour earlier than England, so midnight there still falls between the solstice and new moon moments (however, midnight isn't truly "mid-night" there as it will be in England...i.e., it's not the midpoint of the Icelandic long night, which occurs at 1:30 AM)
  • TWENTY HOURS of darkness! I'm not sure I could stand it (nor the cold), but it certainly would be the most grueling Up All Night endurance test ever
  • I might finally get to see the aurora borealis

It's fun to fantasize about, anyway.

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 09:23:41 am »
Quote from: Altair;156826
I'm sorely tempted, Naomi!

But now I have the crazy idea of going to Iceland for a long solstice weekend:

• They're only an hour earlier than England, so midnight there still falls between the solstice and new moon moments (however, midnight isn't truly "mid-night" there as it will be in England...i.e., it's not the midpoint of the Icelandic long night, which occurs at 1:30 AM)
  • TWENTY HOURS of darkness! I'm not sure I could stand it (nor the cold), but it certainly would be the most grueling Up All Night endurance test ever
  • I might finally get to see the aurora borealis

It's fun to fantasize about, anyway.

*joins in the fantasizing* That sounds like SUCH an awesome thing (that i will end up not doing because logistics. blah)
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 02:20:30 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;155672
I had not looked that far ahead on calendar thanks for posting this here.

It was an interesting information.

And: The time has come nearer now!

Tags: