Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Garden: Leaves turning early this year.  (Read 3743 times)

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Leaves turning early this year.
« on: August 14, 2014, 03:54:02 am »
Has anyone noticed the leaves are turning early this year? I was harvesting some leaves from the garden trees and noticed yellowing of the leaves on my trees. Also the rowan berries are allready being eaten by the blackbirds so will not be any left when autumn/fall starts.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:36:28 am by RandallS »

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Leaves turning early this year.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 05:44:48 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;155644
Has anyone noticed the leaves are turning early this year? I was harvesting some leaves from the garden trees and noticed yellowing of the leaves on my trees. Also the rowan berries are allready being eaten by the blackbirds so will not be any left when autumn/fall starts.

I think it very much depends on where you are. We have just had a long very hot spell so there is much yellowing simply from lack of water.What I have noticed is how very late some of the flowers are holding on for although it's always difficult to tell here as it varies every year.
I generally go by the scent and also, as you mentioned,animal patterns. The crows are still flying to their night grounds in massive flocks as opposed to winter when they tend to form smaller groups.
The heat spell has just broken today so I'll give it a bit of time before I 'call' the arrival of the next season.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 03:24:16 pm »

I noticed a tree today that had some falling yellow leaves, but everything is still very late-summerish here.

Also, speaking as someone who is very superstitious about the coming winter and doesn't want it to come any sooner when it only ended in April here: shhhhhhhh. :whis:
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 03:36:00 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;155685
Also, speaking as someone who is very superstitious about the coming winter and doesn't want it to come any sooner when it only ended in April here: shhhhhhhh. :whis:

Winter is coming.

:ange:
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 03:49:13 pm »
Quote from: Morag;155686
Winter is coming.

I just got my first Autumn feeling today. It's a bit cooler than it has been of late, thankfully, and I noticed how red the Rowan berries are and how many of the sunflowers are so full of seeds. Then I thought, Autumn is coming. Now I can't shake that feeling, even though it really is still hot and summery. :)

It's possibly that I could see snow on the mountains within two or three weeks, if the weather is right. Now I just have to hope the weather is right.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 03:51:24 pm »
Quote from: Morag;155686
Winter is coming.

(:p)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 05:25:00 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;155689

(:p)

*snorts*
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 06:08:18 pm »

Kids have started school already and I came across my fall/Halloween decorations when cleaning out the garage for summer's bulk trash day, so I do feel autumn creeping up on us. But it's  definitely still summer here.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 09:07:36 pm »

The leaves were over a month and a half early on those trees that managed to survive an entire summer with no rain to speak up combined with record high temperatures. The autumn colors this year aren't so much shades of yellow and gold as they are shades of brown.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 07:14:37 am »

I haven't seen it in my own neighborhood but I have heard about it on the local news. I love autumn leaves but I also love my summer more.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 12:58:40 pm »

The acorns are ripening already, about a month early. That suggests we will be having a harsh winter. I don't mind too much. Last winter we were rotting in the rain. This summer is trying to pack all four seasons in a day, every day. I need a good cold snap.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 01:58:38 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;155974
The acorns are ripening already, about a month early. That suggests we will be having a harsh winter. I don't mind too much. Last winter we were rotting in the rain. This summer is trying to pack all four seasons in a day, every day. I need a good cold snap.

Southern New England is still pretty green, but it is starting to cool down. I like it. :)
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Tags: