Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: 2014 Vancouver and Vancouver Island Pagan Pride Days  (Read 6549 times)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
2014 Vancouver and Vancouver Island Pagan Pride Days
« on: August 13, 2014, 10:33:19 am »
I think we have a few members in Vancouver (British Columbia, not WA) or close enough to consider making the trip for Vancouver Pagan Pride so I figured I'd post about it. I will likely be there in a wheelchair being pushed around by the Ogre, though probably only for a few hours. Depends on how we're feeling; it's the week after our annual giant party in the woods, so Ogre might still be recovering. (Also depends on if it's wheelchair accessible or not, which I haven't been able to find out yet.)

The event is September 6 at Trout Lake Park, 3300 Victoria Drive, Vancouver, BC. There's a page on the Pagan Pride Project site here, a Facebook group here, and the official Facebook event page here. It runs from 10am to 6pm.

There is also Vancouver Island Pagan Pride in Nanaimo on August 23rd from 11am to 6pm at the Kinsman Park, which is right next to Departure Bay. Not sure if we have any Vancouver Island members, but Nanaimo is only a short day trip from Vancouver, and VIPPD is a pretty fun event. It is definitely wheelchair accessible.

Unfortunately I can't go to VIPPD this year, because a ferry ride is just a bit too much for me right now, but I should be at VPPD. So if you see a fat witch wearing purple, leg in a brace and butt in a wheelchair, with a very tall, epically bearded man standing next to zir, that's me and the Ogre. Feel free to wave or say 'hi'. ;)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: 2014 Vancouver and Vancouver Island Pagan Pride Days
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:34:48 am »
Quote from: Morag;155574
I think we have a few members in Vancouver (British Columbia, not WA) or close enough to consider making the trip for Vancouver Pagan Pride so I figured I'd post about it. I will likely be there in a wheelchair being pushed around by the Ogre, though probably only for a few hours. Depends on how we're feeling; it's the week after our annual giant party in the woods, so Ogre might still be recovering. (Also depends on if it's wheelchair accessible or not, which I haven't been able to find out yet.)

The event is September 6 at Trout Lake Park, 3300 Victoria Drive, Vancouver, BC. There's a page on the Pagan Pride Project site here, a Facebook group here, and the official Facebook event page here. It runs from 10am to 6pm.

Unfortunately I can't go to VIPPD this year, because a ferry ride is just a bit too much for me right now, but I should be at VPPD. So if you see a fat witch wearing purple, leg in a brace and butt in a wheelchair, with a very tall, epically bearded man standing next to zir, that's me and the Ogre. Feel free to wave or say 'hi'. ;)

You know I've never been? I always thought it was in Surrey or something. I may try to this year, although of course it falls on the same day a friend of mine is getting married. She's not getting hitched until 5 though, so in theory I could check it out. I'd be the short one with the dark bob wearing all black.

I also just realised reading your description Morag that there is a slim chance I've met you at an East Van Christmas party if the Ogre has ever been borrowed to play Santa Claus/an actual ogre.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 01:13:32 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;155578
You know I've never been? I always thought it was in Surrey or something.

It was last year, and probably has been for years before that. They had to move the location this year.

Quote from: Mama Fortuna;155578

I also just realised reading your description Morag that there is a slim chance I've met you at an East Van Christmas party if the Ogre has ever been borrowed to play Santa Claus/an actual ogre.

Yup, we've met. We spent like 2 hours chatting about witchcraft and paganism and kids these days in the hallway of the Coop during one of the Christmas parties. ;) Ogre is the Ogre of Screaming Chickens Santa Claus/Cave Man/Strong Man/Evil Clown/Sexy Tree/etc fame, often brought in to pick up people and carry them offstage.

(Here's a picture of us at last year's Christmas Taboo Revue, where he did Santa Claus for the photo booth.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:03:22 am »
Quote from: Morag;155587
It was last year, and probably has been for years before that. They had to move the location this year.

Can't say I'm upset about not having to go to Surrey.

Yup, we've met. We spent like 2 hours chatting about witchcraft and paganism and kids these days in the hallway of the Coop during one of the Christmas parties. ;) Ogre is the Ogre of Screaming Chickens Santa Claus/Cave Man/Strong Man/Evil Clown/Sexy Tree/etc fame, often brought in to pick up people and carry them offstage.

(Here's a picture of us at last year's Christmas Taboo Revue, where he did Santa Claus for the photo booth.)

Oh my GAWWWWD that was you! It never clicked until yesterday morning, and I was sitting here in my pyjamas before work like, "...wait a second. Waaaaait a second. What are the odds?" Then I realised Vancouver is full of filthy pagan hippies and felt like a dumbass, but I was right! I can now personally attest to the board and the world that you and the Ogre are both utterly lovely people. :D

Also I apologise for being as drunk as I no doubt was at both Christmases.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 01:47:12 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;155667
Can't say I'm upset about not having to go to Surrey.

Can't say I blame you. (His parents live in Delta. We're in Langley. We have to drive through Surrey to see them. They wonder why we don't visit that often.)

Oh my GAWWWWD that was you! It never clicked until yesterday morning, and I was sitting here in my pyjamas before work like, "...wait a second. Waaaaait a second. What are the odds?" Then I realised Vancouver is full of filthy pagan hippies and felt like a dumbass, but I was right!

Haha, it's true, Vancouver is full of filthy pagan hippies (as Ogre often affectionately refers to me).

I can now personally attest to the board and the world that you and the Ogre are both utterly lovely people. :D

Awwww, thank you! <3 And I can attest to the board that you are funny and smart as hell (though they likely already know that) with a wicked fashion sense I dream of emulating. ^_^

Also I apologise for being as drunk as I no doubt was at both Christmases.

It's totally cool. I'm pretty sure that was the Christmas that I was so drunk I started crying on Ogre's shoulder going "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!", so you're in good company. ;)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 02:14:00 am »
Quote from: Morag;155676
Can't say I blame you. (His parents live in Delta. We're in Langley. We have to drive through Surrey to see them. They wonder why we don't visit that often.)

I lived in Langley for a few months as a kid. I liked it. Surrey though... and dear god Abbotsford...

Haha, it's true, Vancouver is full of filthy pagan hippies (as Ogre often affectionately refers to me).

And some clean hippies too, we should say.

Awwww, thank you! <3 And I can attest to the board that you are funny and smart as hell (though they likely already know that) with a wicked fashion sense I dream of emulating. ^_^

D'awww I am blushing.

It's totally cool. I'm pretty sure that was the Christmas that I was so drunk I started crying on Ogre's shoulder going "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!", so you're in good company. ;)

Anybody reading this is like, "...the Vancouver freaks are lushes."

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 09:01:36 pm »
Quote from: Morag;155574

I missed this thread, or I would have gone, that's disappointing.

Quote from: Morag;155676

And this is why I bothered to comment in this thread. Hello, I'm in Langley.

Quote from: Mama Fortuna;155760
I lived in Langley for a few months as a kid. I liked it. Surrey though... and dear god Abbotsford...

I just left Abbotsford, so, yeah. Although that was less because it was sketchy and more because the property management company (who have a monopoly on Abbotsford and plenty of things in other places) were horrible, it was still sketchy. I wouldn't go out after dark, unless I was going straight to the car with my partner. Mind, that was more because of random rowdies than organized crime.

I'd have gone to Pagan Pride in Surrey, if it was still there. It's not as sketchy as it was, and it's easier for me to get to and stay at than Vancouver, and I am more on edge in the city. I probably would have gone anyway if I considered it sketchy though, as long as I wasn't busy. Not that this is relevant anymore at all, seeing as it's not only planned already but over.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 11:40:12 pm »
Quote from: Scales;163733
I just left Abbotsford, so, yeah. Although that was less because it was sketchy and more because the property management company (who have a monopoly on Abbotsford and plenty of things in other places) were horrible, it was still sketchy. I wouldn't go out after dark, unless I was going straight to the car with my partner. Mind, that was more because of random rowdies than organized crime.

I'd have gone to Pagan Pride in Surrey, if it was still there. It's not as sketchy as it was, and it's easier for me to get to and stay at than Vancouver, and I am more on edge in the city. I probably would have gone anyway if I considered it sketchy though, as long as I wasn't busy. Not that this is relevant anymore at all, seeing as it's not only planned already but over.

Yaaaay, you escaped Abby!

I never actually went to the Surrey Pagan Pride so I really shouldn't slam it - I'm sure it was perfectly awesome. There also used to be - and maybe still - a bookstore called Phoenix books out there, I think? That was the very first place I ever heard about chaos magic.

I didn't make it to the Vancouver one - I wound up setting up a wedding all day. Maybe next year we can all hook up and act fabulous!

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 10:22:36 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;163751
Yaaaay, you escaped Abby!

I never actually went to the Surrey Pagan Pride so I really shouldn't slam it - I'm sure it was perfectly awesome. There also used to be - and maybe still - a bookstore called Phoenix books out there, I think? That was the very first place I ever heard about chaos magic.

I didn't make it to the Vancouver one - I wound up setting up a wedding all day. Maybe next year we can all hook up and act fabulous!

What do you mean, 'act' fabulous? If I make it next year I expect people to *be* fabulous (as we are :) )

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 11:01:35 am »
Quote from: carillion;163773
What do you mean, 'act' fabulous? If I make it next year I expect people to *be* fabulous (as we are :) )

Well. Tim Gunn IS my spirit animal, so...

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 12:40:45 pm »
Quote from: carillion;163773

We will act just as fabulous as we are, or more! (if 'more' is even possible)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 01:41:27 am »
I missed this thread, or I would have gone, that's disappointing.

I actually ended up not going because it wasn't wheelchair accessible enough. Probably would have been if we had a nicer wheelchair but we were renting one of the cheaper models with the tiny wheels and there was just no way.

There's always next year! (Assuming they don't plan it for when I'm out of town.)

And this is why I bothered to comment in this thread. Hello, I'm in Langley.

Why hello neighbour! =) We just moved here in February. I am hopeful that someday we might buy a house in Fort Langley but that's, like, dependent on us winning the lottery or my books selling several million copies. Or both, depending on the size of the lottery prize.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 12:02:57 pm »
Quote from: Morag;163833
Why hello neighbour! =) We just moved here in February. I am hopeful that someday we might buy a house in Fort Langley but that's, like, dependent on us winning the lottery or my books selling several million copies. Or both, depending on the size of the lottery prize.

Long term we want to move toward the interior (cheap farm land yay), but that won't be for a couple years. They're building a lot of new housing in Fort Langley, which might drive down prices a bit since it's less scarce, but I suppose it also might drive prices up, because there's competition and newer buildings.

We just moved here on the 11th. Very fresh imports.

Tags: