Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Honoring Land Spirits  (Read 5908 times)

Ferelia

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Honoring Land Spirits
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 01:54:50 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;156093
I don't particularly understand how taking apples would be filed under 'destroying nature'. The apple tree developed the apple so that it would be eaten by animals (including people) so that we can literally shit the seeds out elsewhere. There's not really any 'gift' to it.  Making a nice snack for us is not the goal of the tree. The apple tree has ulterior motives.

Taking an apple isn't destroying nature, it's doing nature's bidding. Leave the apple on the tree and you're wasting the tree's time and energy.

This example (as far as it's an not bought apple) was not for hurtign nature, but for a gift which seems irrelevant for me (the flower-gift from the presentees own garden). I just don't see a point in giving something which does not belong to me, but was already made by the one whom I am gifting it (but I would also not let it rot unused on the ground, since thats also a waste of food). The apple is something nature created, and the tree and garden are also part of nature and living space for spirits, so the apples are already there. Nature and spirits don't gain anything and I don't actually give anything, if I'm just grabbing up part of nature and placing it somewhere else.

As for the "gift", that depends on what you believe. I just don't take the apple for granted. Additionally, I don't eat any appleseeds and poop them on the ground, so I don't actually help anybody by eating apples ;)

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 03:35:49 pm »
Quote from: Ferelia;156099
This example (as far as it's an not bought apple) was not for hurtign nature, but for a gift which seems irrelevant for me (the flower-gift from the presentees own garden). I just don't see a point in giving something which does not belong to me, but was already made by the one whom I am gifting it (but I would also not let it rot unused on the ground, since thats also a waste of food). The apple is something nature created, and the tree and garden are also part of nature and living space for spirits, so the apples are already there. Nature and spirits don't gain anything and I don't actually give anything, if I'm just grabbing up part of nature and placing it somewhere else.

As for the "gift", that depends on what you believe. I just don't take the apple for granted. Additionally, I don't eat any appleseeds and poop them on the ground, so I don't actually help anybody by eating apples ;)

This is something I have struggled with as well.  I agree that it often feels hollow to give offerings that are not really *mine* in any meaningful sense of the word; flowers or feathers or other natural things fit under this heading for me.  But the giving of things that aren't easily biodegradable or are purchased give their own trouble - it seems disingenuous to me to give offerings to the earth or land spirits that may have directly harmed the land in their making.

The way I get around this is to make some kind of an effort to transform the things I offer without doing undue damage to the earth.  This usually means utilizing my own effort to make something suitable.  I will sometimes carve sticks or burn patterns into them, thus making my time and effort a big part of the offering.  The same applies when drying petals or herbs and grinding them with a mortar and pestle as an offering for the fire.  These things were not mine, and are still not mine; but enough of my energy has been invested into them that I feel they are suitable offerings.  My daughter likes to build little "fairy houses" out of found natural materials for the land spirits in our yard; I think it's a beautiful offering, though I'm not sure she's aware of any intention there :p
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 04:47:33 pm »
Quote from: Ferelia;155801
This sounds great to me :)

Maybe one of my thoughts about offerings is also useful for you. I am often a bit irritated when pagans buy products (like apples from a store) or cut down flowers to give them to nature, god or spirits as a gift. I often think about what I would like if I was the nature, god or spirit or whatever, and in this case I would feel like someone who is visiting me just rips out a flower in my own garden as a gift for me. As for bought products, even if they are biodegradable they have caused a lot of negative impact to nature during the production, transport and so on.

So I always try to avoid "natureown" things or products which caused negative impacts and instead give something personal, like time and effort, for example by arranging pebbles to a nice pattern, drawing something in the sand on a beach or with chalk on a stone, singing or making music (careful at the beginning, we don't want to put the spirits to flight ;) ) and so on. And of course every action to preserve nature is a great gift and honoring of the nature and local spirits! This could be standing up for the rowan tree as you already did, or even collecting litter in the forest and so on (although this doesn't sound very witchy-fluffy ;) ).

Interesting thoughts! I chose an offering of raspberries because they grow in my garden, go uneaten for various reasons and because we have rules in town about fruit and berries due to bears. The berries would just end up composted anyways, so I thought it better to give them as an offering to the land spirits. They would likely be placed in a little hole and covered over. I love raspberries. They mean so much to me as a symbol from my childhood, so I think it will work for me. And hopefully the spirits will see them as an honest and sincere choice.

Your comments remind me that it will be important to deeply consider the offerings I make. To ensure that they are friendly to they land, that they harm nothing, that they enhance and they they be of personal or esthetic importance. Thanks for making me think along these lines. :)

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 04:55:33 pm »
Quote from: Atehequa;156052
As a person who does a lot of camping, sometimes at places I've never set foot upon before I try to get a feel of these locations by applying what has been taught to me by others since childhood. In my interpretation of these land or local spirits is that a good many of them can be both hospitable and inhospitable depending upon the human/s who enter their realms. For me, that is if a location is chosen to make camp, appeasement is necessary. Years ago my grandmother and a great aunt who were very much traditional taught me that making offerings is the best course. They said that even though a particular spirit may not be able to use such an offering, like humans, it's the thought that counts. Food, tobacco or even  strings of beads are acceptable. They also advise me that on the first evening at camp to make a small fire using black walnut wood as fuel as it not only appeases such friendly spirits, but serves as protection from the not so hospitable ones, those not noticed while a campsite is chosen. Yet there have been times when we have later noticed our not being welcomed and moved camp, sometimes miles away.

Interesting, the concept of appeasement. I had considered carefully when I chose to use the term 'honouring'. It didn't occur to me that some spirits might be inhospitable, really. Indifferent, perhaps. Suspicious, certainly. I'll have to think about this a bit more. I've been on this bit of land for twelve years now and have done what I can to increase its fertility, to ensure it stays watered and healthy, to make it lovely. Honouring the spirits here just seems like the next step.

You've given me something to think about, not just in relation to my yard, but in relation to the mountains and forests around me. Thanks.

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 05:11:07 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;155859
The neo-pagan concept of land spirits doesn't compare with the spirits of First Nations tribes (in Illinois, anyway). Their interactions with other beings revolved around gaining help in hunting, warfare and medicine mostly, along with the totemic clan system. The rituals involved in these interactions are particular to the religion of the nation in question, and each tribe had it's own set of spirits. Granted, in the small space of Illinois there are a lot of similarities, but there are also no doubt a lot of little differences in what they symbolize and are prayed to for.

Basically, it's not the same thing you're talking about. "Land spirit" shouldn't be used around First Nations' mythology in my opinion. But, let's just say, in a slightly different world, that the two concepts are the same, and that they're also the same as angels and apsarah. Christianity and Hinduism have been here a lot longer than neo-paganism, would you be as willing to adopt the hypothetical land spirits of these other religions into your practice? Or does the suggestion automatically make you jump back and say "oh, no, those belong to those religions, I would never think of using them."?

See, this is what I was kind of wondering about. If I make offerings to spirits of the land, here where I live, what kind of spirits are they? Is it simply the differentiation of concept that would keep me from accidentally making offerings to suddenly confused First Nations beings? Or will they look at me and wonder what I heck I'm doing? Or will it just be the intent I have that accesses different creatures entirely? Or am I missing the idea completely?

I would never want to offend either a spirit of the land or a person of and particular belief system by making offerings where I am not welcome. Which is what I'm trying to figure out here. This was Native land, undeniably. Is an offering on the land where they no longer live appropriate? It's confusing me and I don't want to do something offensive or insensitive  or arrogant or stupid.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 07:40:15 pm »
Quote from: Ferelia;156099

If your goal is to only give things that belong undisputably to you and you alone...then I guess that pretty much rules everything out except blood and hair*.

You may not consume and pass the seeds, but you do take the apple far from home and then discard the core. As far as the parent tree is concerned, that's Mission Accomplished. The goal of the apple tree is to spread itself.

* and, technically, properly processed humanure. Because natural fertilizer.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Atehequa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 11:14:38 pm »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;156115
Interesting, the concept of appeasement. I had considered carefully when I chose to use the term 'honouring'. It didn't occur to me that some spirits might be inhospitable, really. Indifferent, perhaps. Suspicious, certainly. I'll have to think about this a bit more. I've been on this bit of land for twelve years now and have done what I can to increase its fertility, to ensure it stays watered and healthy, to make it lovely. Honouring the spirits here just seems like the next step.

You've given me something to think about, not just in relation to my yard, but in relation to the mountains and forests around me. Thanks.

In my beliefs there are truly good ones and there are the moody ones, then there are the truly evil ones, the motchie monnitou. I will not mention their individual names and try my best to stay away from where they frequent.
Muckhswe kee sishet tepe?

Ferelia

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 08:12:31 am »
Quote from: Allaya;156136
If your goal is to only give things that belong undisputably to you and you alone...then I guess that pretty much rules everything out except blood and hair*.

You may not consume and pass the seeds, but you do take the apple far from home and then discard the core. As far as the parent tree is concerned, that's Mission Accomplished. The goal of the apple tree is to spread itself.

* and, technically, properly processed humanure. Because natural fertilizer.

My "own" things to give are also time, effort and creativity, not only material things. As I already mentioned and as also Aiwelin described in her last posting, these can be gifted by crafting things out of natures items like pebbles or fallen down branches, by painting in the sand, by singing, by picking up litter in the forest or other actions to help or save the environment.

(As for the appleseeds: in my region every kind of household-waste, also biological waste, is burned)

Ferelia

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 08:24:14 am »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;156117
See, this is what I was kind of wondering about. If I make offerings to spirits of the land, here where I live, what kind of spirits are they? Is it simply the differentiation of concept that would keep me from accidentally making offerings to suddenly confused First Nations beings? Or will they look at me and wonder what I heck I'm doing? Or will it just be the intent I have that accesses different creatures entirely? Or am I missing the idea completely?

I would never want to offend either a spirit of the land or a person of and particular belief system by making offerings where I am not welcome. Which is what I'm trying to figure out here. This was Native land, undeniably. Is an offering on the land where they no longer live appropriate? It's confusing me and I don't want to do something offensive or insensitive  or arrogant or stupid.

-> Or will they look at me and wonder what I heck I'm doing?
I guess they will, just because you're new to them and maybe nobody looked for them for a very long time ;)

Why do you think that the land spirits are so closely tied to the former residents? After all, nearly everywhere around the world those who now live in a certain place don't have the same culture and/or heritage as those who lived there a few hundred, a few thousand or more years.
And the land has already been there before the first humans settled down. Maybe the spirits just think it's pretty normal that culture and people change over time, but are happy to see that the new ones also try to make contact. If they were part of the former inhabitants culture, I guess they probably already would have vanished along with it.
:56:

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 02:14:16 pm »
Quote from: Mountain Cat;156117
Is it simply the differentiation of concept that would keep me from accidentally making offerings to suddenly confused First Nations beings?
Is an offering on the land where they no longer live appropriate?

I don't know about where you live, but in Illinois the tribes were semi-nomadic-first because the winters were too severe for permanent settlement, and second, they were agriculturalists, so eventually the soil's nutrients would be used up, forcing them to move. But besides that, all the tribes freely migrated wherever they wanted.

The history of Illinois is one of constant back-and-forthness. When the Othakiwaki, for example, moved into a former Hocak area, this did not mean they started seeing waxopini instead of manetowaki everywhere. In the same way that when Mazdayasnis emigrated from India and Iran they didn't stop seeing yazatas everywhere. The sacred beings of a religion follow the practitioners around.

And you can't accidentally make an offering to a First Nation's spirit. For example, a nampeshi'kw (a species of water spirit) of the Bodewadmi requires a specific medicine bundle rite to be interacted with. Unless you're trying to duplicate a ritual for a spirit (of any religion) you're not going to bump into one. The only way you're going to offend anyone (First Nations or not) is if you borrow their rituals, or try performing your own in their sacred spaces, whether that be a synagogue, Marian grotto, or petroglyphic rock.

This, however, leads us into the neo-pagan-in-America crisis area. Theodisc Geleafa, an Anglo-Saxon based reconstructionist path, has revived the obsolete definition of "wight" as meaning spirits in general, with landwight being cognate to Asatru landvaettir nature spirits. French-speaking Americans I suppose would use a form of "fairy" instead. I think this provides the solution. Yes, it goes back to my simplistic animistic ideas-but what's so bad about that? Why not use "wight" or "fairy" as the spirit of each life-form and location, a little anthropomorphized perhaps, but respected as individuals and communities, with their own needs and rights?

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 09:06:56 pm »
Quote from: Atehequa;156172
In my beliefs there are truly good ones and there are the moody ones, then there are the truly evil ones, the motchie monnitou. I will not mention their individual names and try my best to stay away from where they frequent.

Okay. That's a very interesting perspective. Thanks. It brings to mind that I should be cautious as well as respectful.

:)

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 09:15:52 pm »
Quote from: Ferelia;156230
-> Or will they look at me and wonder what I heck I'm doing?
I guess they will, just because you're new to them and maybe nobody looked for them for a very long time ;)

Why do you think that the land spirits are so closely tied to the former residents? After all, nearly everywhere around the world those who now live in a certain place don't have the same culture and/or heritage as those who lived there a few hundred, a few thousand or more years.
And the land has already been there before the first humans settled down. Maybe the spirits just think it's pretty normal that culture and people change over time, but are happy to see that the new ones also try to make contact. If they were part of the former inhabitants culture, I guess they probably already would have vanished along with it.
:56:

See, I wasn't certain at all whether spirits might be tied to former residents. And I'm still not. :) But if they are I was curious about what kind of approach should be used.

I don't know that there is really any sure way of knowing whether or not they are tied to former residents, as it were, but I was curious to see if someone might have some insight that said they were and that I should or shouldn't approach them in a certain way. Or at all, if they thought it was inappropriate or disrespectful. But I recognize now that there are many different concepts of land spirits and what I was thinking may or may not be relevant at all. I just keep realizing I have a lot to learn and think about.

Mountain Cat

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 09:26:27 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;156283
I don't know about where you live, but in Illinois the tribes were semi-nomadic-first because the winters were too severe for permanent settlement, and second, they were agriculturalists, so eventually the soil's nutrients would be used up, forcing them to move. But besides that, all the tribes freely migrated wherever they wanted.

The history of Illinois is one of constant back-and-forthness. When the Othakiwaki, for example, moved into a former Hocak area, this did not mean they started seeing waxopini instead of manetowaki everywhere. In the same way that when Mazdayasnis emigrated from India and Iran they didn't stop seeing yazatas everywhere. The sacred beings of a religion follow the practitioners around.

And you can't accidentally make an offering to a First Nation's spirit. For example, a nampeshi'kw (a species of water spirit) of the Bodewadmi requires a specific medicine bundle rite to be interacted with. Unless you're trying to duplicate a ritual for a spirit (of any religion) you're not going to bump into one. The only way you're going to offend anyone (First Nations or not) is if you borrow their rituals, or try performing your own in their sacred spaces, whether that be a synagogue, Marian grotto, or petroglyphic rock.

This, however, leads us into the neo-pagan-in-America crisis area. Theodisc Geleafa, an Anglo-Saxon based reconstructionist path, has revived the obsolete definition of "wight" as meaning spirits in general, with landwight being cognate to Asatru landvaettir nature spirits. French-speaking Americans I suppose would use a form of "fairy" instead. I think this provides the solution. Yes, it goes back to my simplistic animistic ideas-but what's so bad about that? Why not use "wight" or "fairy" as the spirit of each life-form and location, a little anthropomorphized perhaps, but respected as individuals and communities, with their own needs and rights?

Wow. Awesome. This was what I was hoping to understand. You expressed it really well for me.

I would never borrow a First Nations' rite or ritual. Not appropriate at all. Though my partner is Native, it still doesn't give me that right.

Thanks for explaining the differences between cultural land-spirit beings. It does make sense now. Seeing as I'm heading towards a druidistic (is that a word?) path, and that I already respect that Norse gods as the gods of some of my ancestors, I will look for a way to understand them in these lights.

Thanks!

Tags: